Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payments and monthly cleans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hello guys what is the best payment method I’ve been paid by bank transfer and cash I’m happy with this at the  moment but when I get lots more customers I’ve been told to go card less as it get rid of bad payers which I’ve not yet had so far how do I use go cardless I’m all signed up can u do the payment by phone numbers in the link section 

Go cardless is expensive and they can put up thier fees at any time and there is nothing you can do about it , our favourite method if laymen’s is BACS no charges  and the money is in your account within muinits of the customer paying you . We have recently picked up a lot of work from another window cleaner in our area  as he is insisting that his customers pay him by co cardless only he is loosing customers hand over fist as the vast majority won’t accept it .   

I use Bacs but each month I need to check who has paid me. Recently I had a question from a customer who had failed to pay me. Turned out it was 2 months going into the third month. I know I am correct but told them to check it, that's what I like about Bacs and would have everybody on it if I could. No one can argue if its down in black and white. Cash is good but you can forget and need to write it down and they can still argue their case.

Go cardless is expensive and they can put up thier fees at any time and there is nothing you can do about it , our favourite method if laymen’s is BACS no charges  and the money is in your account within muinits of the customer paying you . We have recently picked up a lot of work from another window cleaner in our area  as he is insisting that his customers pay him by co cardless only he is loosing customers hand over fist as the vast majority won’t accept it .   
That's a shame for him as I get why he's doing it. I've recently implemented GoCardless for all new customers. I am just fed up of chasing payments and for the small fee they charge (which has been taken into account with the price I quote new customers anyway) it takes all that hassle out. I don't see them sticking the prices up by much whenever they do as they'll just lose customers. I also think it may be a regulated industry but could be wrong on that.

In a ideal world I would only take Bacs and customers would pay be after I've been, with no reminders. But they don't. Everything is automated now. Honestly when was the last time you had to remember to pay a bill? 

That's a shame for him as I get why he's doing it. I've recently implemented GoCardless for all new customers. I am just fed up of chasing payments and for the small fee they charge (which has been taken into account with the price I quote new customers anyway) it takes all that hassle out. I don't see them sticking the prices up by much whenever they do as they'll just lose customers. I also think it may be a regulated industry but could be wrong on that.

In a ideal world I would only take Bacs and customers would pay be after I've been, with no reminders. But they don't. Everything is automated now. Honestly when was the last time you had to remember to pay a bill? 
On Saturday when I got pi55ed and walked out without paying ??

I used to have similar problems to you years ago but I have dumped the poor payers  and when taking on new jobs explained politely to customers that we expect payment before the next clean preferably the week that the clean has been done ,I can honestly say out of over 4,500 customers I probably have around 25 that I need to keep an eye on and chase now and again but that’s it . I think we need to educate the customers with what we expect from them with things like this , many won’t pay there utility bills until they get the final reminder and some try and treat us the same . I love BACS it’s the best for us as it’s straight into the bank the same day most of our customers pay with in 24 hours some will take a week or two but most are very good . 

Hello guys what is the best payment method I’ve been paid by bank transfer and cash I’m happy with this at the  moment but when I get lots more customers I’ve been told to go card less as it get rid of bad payers which I’ve not yet had so far how do I use go cardless I’m all signed up can u do the payment by phone numbers in the link section 
With respect i think you should study the forum more and start reading through the threads and take notes.

These are the most common questions and the answers are a search away 

I think the way forward is by direct debit. Not sure what the charge is but that's the way forward, getting paid even before you have done the clean. Had two customers on it and never got bumped once. ?

I think the way forward is by direct debit. Not sure what the charge is but that's the way forward, getting paid even before you have done the clean. Had two customers on it and never got bumped once. ?
GoCardless: 1% + 20p + vat. So a £10 payment they take 34p. It’s why you need to build it into the quote if your going to do it. A £10 job, charge £10.50

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have a problem with late payers or non payers. I know all my customers face to face so they would find it embarrassing. Moving a few bimonthly on to monthly and hoping they cancel. This is a good time to streamline our business, I find.

Back