Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payments and monthly cleans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We don’t bother with 50p on any job everything is straight pounds makes life so much easier , just add the extra on to the job if you are vat registered just add enough to cover that as well , 
We've inherited some commercial work where one of the blocks of flats is £416.25. Whoever worked that out needs to give their head a shake ? 

Cucumber supposed to be good for supplying energy, so eat it after you have put it on your eyes, you will feel amaze. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw no one getting upset... (till your post) ?. It's called discussion. Tis about efficiency and maximising profit in business, without ceding power, control or expense to a third party. ?

You go and have a lie down. ??

All good natured jest on my part. Don't anyone think otherwise. Please! ?
Me and whippet played chasey around the dining room table, then went for a nice walk in the dark, Thought I may have bumped into you as I know how much you like walking ?

lots of businesses have had no choice but to concede to a third party digital payments for example  payments have caused a massive decline in cash payments but that has always been on the cards for years almost every shop and even market stalls offer a card payment facility which they have to pay for, with respect it's always the same on here when GC is mentioned it gets jumped on no different to the tradders years ago who scoffed at wfp and the financial investment it takes, 

No doubt the more traditionalist on here will be looking forward to tips next month possibly some extra coal for the fire 

download (8).jpg

You maths is far better than mine that’s why I like straight pounds ????
That's because your good wife does the admin

Yes so what relevance does it have to this conversation? You said it annoyed you that he has overpaid by 6 cleans and that’s why bacs is better, but direct debt doesn’t allow that. Not trying to be pedantic or anything, just pointing out the difference. 
Not really seeing what you're getting at? "Yes so what relevance does it have to this conversation"

All I'm trying to say is that I like to be paid when I've finished the job (in a reasonable time). I don't want to be paid on a set day every month when I've probably not even got round to do the job. I've got 6 cleans behind over a couple of years due to me taking time off, weather etc. I'll get a payment come through from this customer and I'll have to make a note of it because I'll forget and make sure I mark him down as paid on my computer program. It's just added work for me IMO.

Hope this makes sense?

Thought I may have bumped into you as I know how much you like walking. ?
We must have been out at different times. I was out walking... Honest. ?

Years ago (about 1993) I was working on a job laying a new 450 mm water-main on the outskirts of Bicester, Oxfordshire. Three of us in the gang, working for R E Docwra. We were booked in to work the Saturday (a regular thing).
The boss came to us on site on the following Monday. "I called by on Saturday and you weren't here?" "What time did you call? Says I. "Half one "says he.
"Oh! You missed us by five minutes." says me, trying not to laugh.
He realised I'd got him. ?No matter what time he'd say he called by we'd only have left five minutes before.

We hadn't turned in at all. We never did and we booked most Saturdays. We always got a good Saturday's work done on the Friday. This was the first time a boss made a site visit on a Saturday. I worked a different job Saturdays and Sundays. Not out of greed but I had a mortgage which was tough to pay on a labourer's wages.

He laughed and went off scratching his head. We remained "working" and booking in the Saturdays. He wanted the work done and we always got it done. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We must have been out at different times. I was out walking... Honest. ?

Years ago (about 1993) I was working on a job laying a new 450 mm water-main on the outskirts of Bicester, Oxfordshire. Three of us in the gang, working for R E Docwra. We were booked in to work the Saturday (a regular thing).
The boss came to us on site on the following Monday. "I called by on Saturday and you weren't here?" "What time did you call? Says I. "Half one "says he.
"Oh! You missed us by five minutes." says me, trying not to laugh.
He realised I'd got him. ?No matter what time he'd say he called by we'd only have left five minutes before.

We hadn't turned in at all. We never did and we booked most Saturdays. We always got a good Saturday's work done on the Friday. This was the first time a boss made a site visit on a Saturday. I worked a different job Saturdays and Sundays. Not out of greed but I had a mortgage which was tough to pay on a labourer's wages.

He laughed and went off scratching his head. We remained "working" and booking in the Saturdays. He wanted the work done and we always got it done. ?
One shift work job I had was testing oils, the 'test' engines ran for 104.5 hrs so if we started on time 7am Monday they were finished Friday afternoon if nothing major went wrong. If on nights we would ring at 5pm friday and every time I was told 'see you Monday' ? still claimed the extra overtime for the Friday night. It was on teh understanding that if we had lots of breakdowns during the week the Friday night shift would continue to work till what ever time necessary on Saturday, all sanctioned by the boss!!

Then another job again running engines (developing gas turbines and jets this time), we could never have a lunch break as only 1 person doing the job and couldn't leave building. So we were paid an extra hour overtime to cover lunch, then bosses realised that under EU law they weren't allowed!! So the stopped paying lunchtime overtime. They only stopped it once as it cost them £240,000!! The people doing my job in the 3 test cells 'went for lunch' so they had to shut the engines down and they were charging customers  £80K an hour!!! They reinstated the overtime lunch pay ? 

Funny what bosses do when it suits them ? 

One shift work job I had was testing oils, the 'test' engines ran for 104.5 hrs so if we started on time 7am Monday they were finished Friday afternoon if nothing major went wrong. If on nights we would ring at 5pm friday and every time I was told 'see you Monday' ? still claimed the extra overtime for the Friday night. It was on teh understanding that if we had lots of breakdowns during the week the Friday night shift would continue to work till what ever time necessary on Saturday, all sanctioned by the boss!!

Then another job again running engines (developing gas turbines and jets this time), we could never have a lunch break as only 1 person doing the job and couldn't leave building. So we were paid an extra hour overtime to cover lunch, then bosses realised that under EU law they weren't allowed!! So the stopped paying lunchtime overtime. They only stopped it once as it cost them £240,000!! The people doing my job in the 3 test cells 'went for lunch' so they had to shut the engines down and they were charging customers  £80K an hour!!! They reinstated the overtime lunch pay ? 

Funny what bosses do when it suits them ? 
It certainly is. When we were working we were working.  Same with you, I'm sure. We were recognised as being self regulating, quick and reliable. Not every gang was. That's what earned us a bit of leeway. ?

Right guys after all ur reviews on paying I’ve decided to build up strong from the start my own choice I had 6 customers of 6 weeks which I said I’m only doing monthly cleans as it’s easier for me to track and keep business clear 

5 of them agreed to stay and have monthly cleans still, I’ve also chosen to have a minimum of £10 on the smaller houses and they are paying it in Nottinghamshire no £6 £8 payments I’m starting strong  and continue to do it this way more money in less time I’m doing well signed 4 yesterday going to get some chips from chippy the new estates are going well now I’m getting them good I’m not mugging myself and not asking for a Porsche I’m interested in being solid from the start TRUST IS A MUST for me I have a count of my customers today 3 new ones today I’ve 63 in 2 months inbeetween  a 48 hour factory job to I’m chuffed the money I make to has come to £789 a month to date I earn £1600 in factory in a month working 12 hours days and nights my direction is clear and growing 2 months ago I panicked about this and went to my mother and grandads grave to ponder what I was doing now it’s all falling in to place as if they were garduin angels on my shoulders there is a belief if u believe in urself thanks to all ur advice guys and to welcoming me to a window cleaning family our window family 

Right guys after all ur reviews on paying I’ve decided to build up strong from the start my own choice I had 6 customers of 6 weeks which I said I’m only doing monthly cleans as it’s easier for me to track and keep business clear 

5 of them agreed to stay and have monthly cleans still, I’ve also chosen to have a minimum of £10 on the smaller houses and they are paying it in Nottinghamshire no £6 £8 payments I’m starting strong  and continue to do it this way more money in less time I’m doing well signed 4 yesterday going to get some chips from chippy the new estates are going well now I’m getting them good I’m not mugging myself and not asking for a Porsche I’m interested in being solid from the start TRUST IS A MUST for me I have a count of my customers today 3 new ones today I’ve 63 in 2 months inbeetween  a 48 hour factory job to I’m chuffed the money I make to has come to £789 a month to date I earn £1600 in factory in a month working 12 hours days and nights my direction is clear and growing 2 months ago I panicked about this and went to my mother and grandads grave to ponder what I was doing now it’s all falling in to place as if they were garduin angels on my shoulders there is a belief if u believe in urself thanks to all ur advice guys and to welcoming me to a window cleaning family our window family 
Well done don’t worry about those that say it cannot be done , it can and you are proving that to yourself ,that will give you confidence going   forward to stick to your guns and ones that won’t pay what you want don’t worry about them . 

Great stuff! Good luck to you. ?

Though I think your missing a trick by going for four weekly /monthly rather than six weekly at a slightly higher price and doing a different customer at the same higher rate on the space freed up in between. This has been discussed at length on several occasions in the past. Well worth a proper read through the archives on the search bar. Especially as you're just getting started. Same amount of work per week but a higher income achieved. I've recommended folk with doubts consult a good accountant. Maybe you'll be the first to do so. ?

There's a strong tendency for new starters to think high frequency of each customer is the key. It's absolutely not. It's much more lucrative to do the same amount of jobs each week/month but at a slightly higher rate. You need more customers. No problem, that will come

Great stuff! Good luck to you. ?

Though I think your missing a trick by going for four weekly /monthly rather than six weekly at a slightly higher price and doing a different customer at the same higher rate on the space freed up in between. This has been discussed at length on several occasions in the past. Well worth a proper read through the archives on the search bar. Especially as you're just getting started. Same amount of work per week but a higher income achieved. I've recommended folk with doubts consult a good accountant. Maybe you'll be the first to do so. ?

There's a strong tendency for new starters to think high frequency of each customer is the key. It's absolutely not. It's much more lucrative to do the same amount of jobs each week/month but at a slightly higher rate. You need more customers. No problem, that will come
We only offer 4 or 8 weekly on domestic and down hear 99% want 4 weekly , I know pricing is a very controversial subject but I honestly don’t feel we could earn more by going to 6 weekly , I know most of my customers would refuse point blank as they want 4 weekly . I think different areas want different frequencies, I find ones that move down from up north ask for  2 weekly cleans as that’s what they are used to , we won’t do that but most accept the 4 weekly and are happy with that as most are used to having trad cleaners before but wfp stays cleaner for longer . 

We only offer 4 or 8 weekly on domestic and down hear 99% want 4 weekly , I know pricing is a very controversial subject but I honestly don’t feel we could earn more by going to 6 weekly , I know most of my customers would refuse point blank as they want 4 weekly . I think different areas want different frequencies, I find ones that move down from up north ask for  2 weekly cleans as that’s what they are used to , we won’t do that but most accept the 4 weekly and are happy with that as most are used to having trad cleaners before but wfp stays cleaner for longer . 
I just think 12 months in a year once a month is the easy option for me and my head it’s a good cycle 

For coastal you may well be right. But for inland I'm 100% certain on the 6 weekly. Providing it's done right.

Back