Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Poles freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

People are just not putting the heating on this year, or if they are they have turned down the thermostat, plus the majority of houses I look into have got multiple clothes maidens drying wet clothes creating a lot of condensation on the inside...
‘Clothes maidens’ ??
Haven’t heard that expression since my Nan died ?

Hummm will be interesting to see what happens last 2 days we started working in -2 and had a few pains of glass creaking when using a short length of hose around 25 meters didn’t check the water temperature but there was steam coming off the glass like a sauna ???? once we were using 125 meters of hose the temperature was greatly reduced but still had steam and no creaking . To be fair we dont generally get it to cold hear but in 2009-2010 winter it was really bad for several weeks -4-8 regularly we used hot all through that and didn’t break any glass , you can work easily with hot water but the problem is when it hits the ground leaving ice lakes behind so although you you could clean the glass ok I was more concerned about leaving ice behind and ones falling over and being held responsible, I tried to only do work ware it was not going to land on a surface that could cause problems and we did doors with a cloth and spray , if it gets that bad again will probably just take time off it’s not often that bad so can afford to not work on those days .
I think I better stop cleaning the doors or it will turn to black ice.

First time ever water froze on windows had to stop work iced sils up lol and brush head froze even shook off excess water on it supposed to be artic colds on way and temps like this for next 2 weeks holy ?
I had that problem on Wednesday. big conservatory on the back of a big bungalow with fields at the back. As soon as I started cleaning it the water froze, the sills were already frozen and the ground was completely frozen. This was at 15:30 at the end of a sunny day, think it was 0c to -1c all day.

The customer was an old lady and she obviously had the heating completely off. Surprised me though. Literally had seconds to work with and and just had to keep going once I had started. They were sheeted over when I had finished, just explained to her the problem and she was fine about it. House windows were fine though.

Despite the water icing though I've quite enjoyed this week. Actually prefer this to the freezing rain when it's like 5c.

Anyone had any experience using isopropanol alcohol mixed in tank for working in cold ?
purchased two barrels last year in preparation after I had a few conys freez on Me.

Anyone had any experience using isopropanol alcohol mixed in tank for working in cold ?
purchased two barrels last year in preparation after I had a few conys freez on Me.
I cannot remember the ratio needed to stop the water freezing but it’s a lot don't think it would be cost effective to add it to a large tank of water , it’s ok on paper but real world working is a different kettle of fish , and you will still end up with ice on the ground sometimes it’s just better to take a few days off for how often it gets that bad in this country .

I cannot remember the ratio needed to stop the water freezing but it’s a lot don't think it would be cost effective to add it to a large tank of water , it’s ok on paper but real world working is a different kettle of fish , and you will still end up with ice on the ground sometimes it’s just better to take a few days off for how often it gets that bad in this country .
I feel its going to more than a few days pjj i think rest of December will be knocked on the head

Latest Posts

Back