Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Poles freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm seeing figures of minus 12 up here next week so I expect alot of burst pipes in peoples heavily insulated attics that have no heating. Better to leave the hatch open a bit or put a oil filled rad in there, we have to spend money to save a big headache before Christmas. ?

Was only -4 this morning and yesterday morning
Didn’t need to put my gloves on
Base layer and normal workwear with a fleece

Was only -4 this morning and yesterday morning
Didn’t need to put my gloves on
Base layer and normal workwear with a fleece
I normally suffer with cold feet and cold hands in these types of conditions. I was looking on a diving website to see what gloves they use and came across some information that said that your body prioritises your core organs, if your body detects them being cold then it effectively cuts off the heat going to your hands, arms, legs and feet and heats your core organs.

So based on this information I added a fleece underneath my usual ultra thin windproof coat with my usual thermal jumper underneath the fleece. I've been nice and toasty all week, feet not been cold at all despite standing on frosty lawns, fingers go cold for about the first hour but after that they've warmed up. That's with wearing shorts as well, so feel like I've cracked it now.

Couldn't work without gloves though, my fingers feel the slightest cold and suffered really bad before now with them.

I normally suffer with cold feet and cold hands in these types of conditions. I was looking on a diving website to see what gloves they use and came across some information that said that your body prioritises your core organs, if your body detects them being cold then it effectively cuts off the heat going to your hands, arms, legs and feet and heats your core organs.

So based on this information I added a fleece underneath my usual ultra thin windproof coat with my usual thermal jumper underneath the fleece. I've been nice and toasty all week, feet not been cold at all despite standing on frosty lawns, fingers go cold for about the first hour but after that they've warmed up. That's with wearing shorts as well, so feel like I've cracked it now.

Couldn't work without gloves though, my fingers feel the slightest cold and suffered really bad before now with them.
Zerofit Ultimate base layer is the way to go.
Ordered one from my fishing magazine. It’s like being hugged by a grizzly bear. Great bit of kit ???‍?

At what outside temperature will using a WFP start to freeze on glass? I’ve been off all week during this cold snap and am back at it tomorrow and being as it’s my first winter I’ve no knowledge of what temperatures to avoid working in. Cheers

No it doesn't!I've been thawing out ice on conny windows and skylights most of last week no problem.i love working with hot water in this weather.its like im steam cleaning the glass as well as getting rid of ice....?
I have hot water.
There’s been several videos on the internet, some saying hot actually freezes quicker than cold.
Anyway, enough of this nonsense. It’s Saturday night and I’m not sitting in talking about work! Off to the pub. C’mon England ???

Anyone had any experience using isopropanol alcohol mixed in tank for working in cold ?
purchased two barrels last year in preparation after I had a few conys freez on Me.
We usually leave customers with North facing conservatories until the afternoon, when the sun is shinning. It generally warms them up enough to clean them without the water freezing on the glass immediately.

I have hot water.
There’s been several videos on the internet, some saying hot actually freezes quicker than cold.
Anyway, enough of this nonsense. It’s Saturday night and I’m not sitting in talking about work! Off to the pub. C’mon England ???
Cmon mate!you've been hot water window cleaning long enough to know that hot water thaws out ice on glass,sills and frames...using cold water in this weather is awful!Time to go home!

Back