Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure freedom reel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’m looking at getting a PF reel. I can see it has a controller in the front of it, I don’t require this if it’s for the system. Can anyone advise me what the craic is with the controller portion of the reel? It seems to me you usually pay in excess of £100 for a pump controller and I simply don’t need it ??‍♂️

The controller has soft start, and anti trap (it shuts off when a restriction is 'felt'). It also has the speed settings but I've got mine on 99 :)
I do think the soft start would start and ramp up a bit quicker but the anti trap or what ever it's called is good in case any one steps on the hose or it gets trapped on wheelie bins as you wouldn't want it dragging a wheelie bin back to you ?
I think I paid about £25 extra for a longer loom and bracket to move the controller to the side of the van.

The controller has soft start, and anti trap (it shuts off when a restriction is 'felt'). It also has the speed settings but I've got mine on 99 :)
I do think the soft start would start and ramp up a bit quicker but the anti trap or what ever it's called is good in case any one steps on the hose or it gets trapped on wheelie bins as you wouldn't want it dragging a wheelie bin back to you ?
I think I paid about £25 extra for a longer loom and bracket to move the controller to the side of the van.
Thanks Ched. So is the controller purely linked to the reel and nothing to do with the pumps? Also interested in your thoughts about the reel itself.

The bad thing about it is when it freezes you need to drain water out of the brass fitting, the carbon washer gets damaged inside it. So either drain it or make sure van does not freeze at night. Other than that it's very well built and is very reliable.

I’m looking at getting a PF reel. I can see it has a controller in the front of it, I don’t require this if it’s for the system. Can anyone advise me what the craic is with the controller portion of the reel? It seems to me you usually pay in excess of £100 for a pump controller and I simply don’t need it ??‍♂️
It's nothing to do with your pump!it's for reel speed and battery reading.i also have mine on 99.i usually have the battery reading display on mine.?

Thanks Ched. So is the controller purely linked to the reel and nothing to do with the pumps? Also interested in your thoughts about the reel itself.
It's just for the reel. Think of it as a pump controller i.e. it does control speed and dead end detection but for the hose reel. A wfp pump controller is normally controlling less that 10 amps, the reel controller is more like 50 Amps!
As others have said don't let it freeze as the swivel coupling is vulnerable.
Just so you know if you use or intend to use hot water get the appropriate version as it adds stainless discs to the reel to stop it expanding due to the heat in hot water.

In my experience it works well although it's the only elec reel I have tried. There a few things that could be better, the swivel joint could be smaller as it sticks out a long way, the soft start - when you first press the button, takes a bit too long to ramp up speed, especially when you are getting close to the transition from reel to pole hose and you want to ease off the speed so your hand doesn't get stuck holding your cleaning cloth and smack into the top roller, you release the button then press again and although it starts instantly takes about 4 seconds to get back to normal speed. Lastly it is heavy but once it's bolted in it's not an issue.

Pure Freedom will do modifications to a reel when you buy, so if you want/need anything specific just ask. I didn't have much room in the back of my van and wanted floor rollers so I asked if the controller had to be on the front and they said no problem we have a wall mount bracket and how long do you want the cable loom? I think I paid an extra £25 or so but that was discounted in the Black Friday sale when I bought my reel. Mine arrived on a pallet and was very well packed, I ordered a new hose and fittings and they fitted the hose to my reel which I thought was nice of them.

I did look at the other manufacturers and rear some things that put me off the one with the motor in the spindle and a 2 year warranty but I nearly went with the xline one but it was not as cheap as it first looks as I believe it needs the controller to stop over spooling.

Thanks Ched, PJJ.

As the comments above the controller on the Reelmaster is sepcifically designed to work with the high current motor on the reel. There was a lot of testing prior to the product going on the Market of both the reel and controller. A power reel motor has a lot of Torque and will easily pull someone of their feet. The Controller has snag protection so in the event the hose gets caught the motor is stopped before the hose parts or a person is pulled over. As mentioned there is a soft start, variablle speed control, Battery voltage monitoring.

The bad thing about it is when it freezes you need to drain water out of the brass fitting, the carbon washer gets damaged inside it. So either drain it or make sure van does not freeze at night. Other than that it's very well built and is very reliable.
Thanks mate. Just chatted this through with them. This reel is for a cold water van currently but it should hopefully be hot water with frost protections very shortly which should resolve this issue.

It's just for the reel. Think of it as a pump controller i.e. it does control speed and dead end detection but for the hose reel. A wfp pump controller is normally controlling less that 10 amps, the reel controller is more like 50 Amps!
As others have said don't let it freeze as the swivel coupling is vulnerable.
Just so you know if you use or intend to use hot water get the appropriate version as it adds stainless discs to the reel to stop it expanding due to the heat in hot water.

In my experience it works well although it's the only elec reel I have tried. There a few things that could be better, the swivel joint could be smaller as it sticks out a long way, the soft start - when you first press the button, takes a bit too long to ramp up speed, especially when you are getting close to the transition from reel to pole hose and you want to ease off the speed so your hand doesn't get stuck holding your cleaning cloth and smack into the top roller, you release the button then press again and although it starts instantly takes about 4 seconds to get back to normal speed. Lastly it is heavy but once it's bolted in it's not an issue.

Pure Freedom will do modifications to a reel when you buy, so if you want/need anything specific just ask. I didn't have much room in the back of my van and wanted floor rollers so I asked if the controller had to be on the front and they said no problem we have a wall mount bracket and how long do you want the cable loom? I think I paid an extra £25 or so but that was discounted in the Black Friday sale when I bought my reel. Mine arrived on a pallet and was very well packed, I ordered a new hose and fittings and they fitted the hose to my reel which I thought was nice of them.

I did look at the other manufacturers and rear some things that put me off the one with the motor in the spindle and a 2 year warranty but I nearly went with the xline one but it was not as cheap as it first looks as I believe it needs the controller to stop over spooling.
Thanks for the detailed response mate. This will be my 3rd electric reel manufacturer. No other one has come as highly rated so I have high hopes!

Back