Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quoting the work of other cleaners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No lists in this windys van. That said......on every quote would I think before: "does this job belong to someone I know?" ........ No of-course not. But if I knowingly knew it was one of my mates custys, I'd probably just slow down for a minute to think, and then make a decision from there. Which would account for like 1% of the quotes I put in. I do reiterate.......It isn't black and white. Consideration is the key IMO.

As said, once we're established, is it food on our table or disposable income...... Probably the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never undercut anyone that I'm aware of I don't play like that but if I'm asked to quote somewhere I won't purposely going and quote another windys job

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Round my way if I am asked to quote a job I quote whilst having a quick chat and providing a price I ask them if they have had a cleaner previously.

Sometimes they have but generally have no idea who they were as they had never left any contact details or if they did and had been contacted they just said they were behind schedule but left clients waiting more than 2 months who just got fed up having filthy windows.

But with some commercial jobs window cleaning is becoming a low priority and they want it done cheaper and less often for example I had one school who agreed to my quote to have the windows cleaned twice a year when the 3rd clean was due last november I contacted them to arrange access prior to my visit and they said can you leave them and we will call you next year, No call yet and this is not the only one in recent months

Round my way if I am asked to quote a job I quote whilst having a quick chat and providing a price I ask them if they have had a cleaner previously.
Sometimes they have but generally have no idea who they were as they had never left any contact details or if they did and had been contacted they just said they were behind schedule but left clients waiting more than 2 months who just got fed up having filthy windows.

But with some commercial jobs window cleaning is becoming a low priority and they want it done cheaper and less often for example I had one school who agreed to my quote to have the windows cleaned twice a year when the 3rd clean was due last november I contacted them to arrange access prior to my visit and they said can you leave them and we will call you next year, No call yet and this is not the only one in recent months
I was talking to a teacher at my kids school unfortunately they say that there buget have been hit hard so it's the last thing there going to do the role of the pta and the parents has become more important than ever

Not all commercial jobs are price motivated just like houses some will go with the cheapest but I have some that pay very well to maintain and keep them looking good.

Iron grant and Green both use schools as an example for me schools are one of if not the worst type of commercial window cleaning for a number of reasons.

They will only have them cleaned once at most twice a year.

They will shop around for quotes every year.

With the children and the frequency they will always be filthy I have seen the glass in some right states on some.

Nearly every school I have looked at unless they are private will go with the cheapest they don't care about anything but price, they have very little money left in the budget for windows and most years this budget will reduce.

Bigger all day jobs tend to use more water and become more tiring as your on them all day factor in they only get cleaned once or twice a year and resemble a builders clean for me they should carry a premium price but the price some are getting cleaned for is shocking.

Another shocking thing I came across recently when quoting a school was the caretaker.

About 6 weeks before half term this year I was asked to quote a school.The caretaker took me round explained what needed doing etc.

At the end of the site visit he asked how much I said 'I could't price it on the spot and would get back to them'

He was desperate for a price and if I'm honest was acting strange.

With a bit more talking he finally came out with it and asked me for a backhander and told me what the job was worth.

The price I would have wanted would have been more than the job was worth without his bung but the fact he was so blatant makes you think how many other are at it.

My kids school is only a small village school they don't pay for a window cleaner but ask the caretaker to do them along side his other jobs I might use it as an opportunity and clean then as a way of promoting my company as I'm sure they would put a thank you to me in the news letter

I think the key thing here is "mate".

Someone who i considered a genuine friend then no i would not quote his work.

But i do not know any window cleaner in my area other than a couple i say hello to.

I do not consider them friends, they just happy to be decent chaps who do the same job as me i would have there work in a heart beat; AT THE RIGHT PRICE.

I've heard that so many time it's unreal

Iron grant and Green both use schools as an example
I did but only as that's the last commercial to call for a quote. Generally I avoid them like the plauge (commercials) they just dont interest me.

I know every cleaner around here personally, so if a customer asks for a quote I will most likely take someones work. Does that stop me from quoting? No, if they ask they are entitled to a quote (when I lived in Norway I do believe there were situations where you actually couldn't refuse to do a quote). Will I quote a place I know someone else is cleaning. No.

I we all knew each others customers and prices we wouldn't have an open market, which is important to all of us. And from what I understand it would actually be illegal if we were to have some sort of secret "window cleaners club" with artificially inflated prices. Don't know the proper name for it, but it's some kind of monopoly thing.

Not all commercial jobs are price motivated just like houses some will go with the cheapest but I have some that pay very well to maintain and keep them looking good.

Iron grant and Green both use schools as an example for me schools are one of if not the worst type of commercial window cleaning for a number of reasons.

They will only have them cleaned once at most twice a year.

They will shop around for quotes every year.

With the children and the frequency they will always be filthy I have seen the glass in some right states on some.

Nearly every school I have looked at unless they are private will go with the cheapest they don't care about anything but price, they have very little money left in the budget for windows and most years this budget will reduce.

Bigger all day jobs tend to use more water and become more tiring as your on them all day factor in they only get cleaned once or twice a year and resemble a builders clean for me they should carry a premium price but the price some are getting cleaned for is shocking.
I think i have been spoiled with 2 of my longterm schools over the years one I have had for 7 years and it gets cleaned twice a year and it's a well paid job and the other have had for around 11 years and gets done once every 4 weeks excluding school holidays as the kids are disruptive again a well paid job were i know a few of staff and have keys for the gates so i can call whenever I want.

I am also finding medical practices not been as bothered anymore no doubt they are having budget restrictions as time goes by and the windows are last on list.

I only have 1 school and that is the one my wife works at..very good friends with the finance woman

They got a new head last year who wants it clean and nice whereas the old one didn't

She told me the budget they had and told me to go just under it

Long story short i do a junior/infants all on ground floor apart from the sports hall so trad it with a pole

Takes a day and a half although i can do it in a day but feel i need to drag it out and the caretaker is there when i do it on holidays twice a year but i don't mind for £450 to wprk from 8.30-900 ish until 3.30 and then 3 or 4 hours the next day

Have quoted others but just a waste of time for what they want to spend

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back