Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who's fed up with Google ads on the forum?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Facebook groups became more organised and You Tube with its exterior cleaning influencers have probably had a big impact over the years....

Yeah, sadly so. It used to be very busy here. I do wonder if some of that is the ads etc as it can be offputting and our busiest time was when we had no ads. That said so many things have changed over time, social media etc as well as businesses going under.

Forums generally are a dying bread now.
I am on a FB group that isn't as busy either they may get more replies to some posts on there but it's usually people answering for the sake of it and repeating what others have replied already it happens on every FB group the same questions are asked 3 times a week and the same 3 questions get lots of replies because people want to answer and seem helpful but it's so boring along with the fact people are too lazy to use the search bar, on here we read through a thread and don't reply for the sake of it.

Yeah, sadly so. It used to be very busy here. I do wonder if some of that is the ads etc as it can be offputting and our busiest time was when we had no ads. That said so many things have changed over time, social media etc as well as businesses going under.

Forums generally are a dying bread now.
Its called fashion, social media will fade through time. Nothing beats hard work to earn money, I'm afraid. I've tried many things and window cleaning is the best but it's boring and hard work if done continually. fwiw

Personally I don't have a problem with Google ads and some are even of interest to me. That said @Gavin needs the forum to at absolute minimum pay it's way - ideally with some profit for his hard work.
I am guessing part of the problem is that Google is paying less per click than they used too - they would say their customers are paying less per click but if you ever look to setup an Adwords campaign it looks like they are charging a lot more per click than they used too. My guess is they are charging big companies a lot less but smaller businesses massively more.
I think Google are pricing themselves out of 3rd party websites market to concentrate their profits on their own platforms - not that that helps Gav.

Google has a very sensitive algorithm that 'claims' to detect people clicking ads on purpose to boost a websites earnings so DONT click on the ads thinking you are helping Gav unless you are a little bit interested in them and are willing to at least spend a good few seconds looking at the site. - @Gavin feel free to remove that last paragraph if you feel Google might not like it!

I don't mind the ads. They aren't in your face and annoying pop ups that interfere with the content unlike the gazette (and pretty much all othe other other newspaper regional or national) they are awful to navigate and try and read comments/full article as so intrusive.

I don't seem to get any specific ads. Maybe in the first instance I declined tailored ads. These are mainly clothing or Staffordshire university. On other sites it's fly fishing/general fishing and window cleaning equipment that I see ads for!

Much prefer the forum (and even CIU) to the FB groups. Same old numpties on there. Only good thing about FB groups is how easy it is to upload photos and videos.

Keep up the good work Gav, Iron Giant and the mods/staff and all who contribute regularly. ?

Not on here much nowdays but not overly bothered by the ads. Mind you, im long trained in ignoring them. I flick over anytime ads come on the tv and utube or take the opportunity to give my aging eyes a rest and look out the window o_O

So...

This post was a good test. As said previously in this thread, we would need to sell a substantial amount of tickets to firstly cover the cost of the prize and then earn a little profit. This is not going to happen with the numbers interested in this.

We would need more than a handful of members interested. With that I think we are stuck with ads. It seems most are not to bothered about them so I guess it's our only real option.

As always if anyone wants to support the forum, please take a look here. https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/account/upgrades

Last edited:
I can see the future being one big forum and you then click on subjects e.g Window cleaning, landscaping, pest control, and cleaning. If you look at Meta and X then that's the way they are heading, must be a reason and that reason is to cut costs because no growth left on internet and heading downwards. fwiw

I can see the future being one big forum and you then click on subjects e.g Window cleaning, landscaping, pest control, and cleaning. If you look at Meta and X then that's the way they are heading, must be a reason and that reason is to cut costs because no growth left on internet and heading downwards. fwiw
There is always new stuff or fads coming. Look at the past with the likes of Friends Reunited, Facebook, What's app, Twitter etc they all had a big boom then came down.

The internet is here to stay, it's the new TV! i.e. the only real reason for the programs to exist is to fill the gaps between adverts! So marketing spend has switched from TV to the internet and that's where the money is. The next big fad will be what ever attracts the biggest audience to sell stuff too.

I think both Meta and X are working on a 'complete' platform that covers entertainment, info, chat, marketplaces and payment systems all rolled into 1. There is one in India or China - can't remember the name that does 'everything' including 'electronic money'!

Is this why Meta now has a new app to rival Twitter that's called Threads which launched the other week :unsure:

There is always new stuff or fads coming. Look at the past with the likes of Friends Reunited, Facebook, What's app, Twitter etc they all had a big boom then came down.

The internet is here to stay, it's the new TV! i.e. the only real reason for the programs to exist is to fill the gaps between adverts! So marketing spend has switched from TV to the internet and that's where the money is. The next big fad will be what ever attracts the biggest audience to sell stuff too.

I think both Meta and X are working on a 'complete' platform that covers entertainment, info, chat, marketplaces and payment systems all rolled into 1. There is one in India or China - can't remember the name that does 'everything' including 'electronic money'!
There is one in India or China - can't remember the name that does 'everything' including 'electronic money'!

China, Wechat
WeChat also counts towards your social score if I’m not mistaken.

Twitter was losing billions a year. Baiting Elon into buying it was actually a very smart move on the part of the previous owners. I doubt he can turn it around. Without ad revenue, and lots of it, ‘free’ websites are not sustainable. And Twitter couldn’t seem to be able to serve ads profitably no matter what they did.

Always remember. If a service doesn’t cost money, it’s because you are the product. It’s scary how targeted you can make ads on Facebook & all the tracking Google does! ??

Latest Posts

Back