Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Red flag customer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Elliott randall

Hi guys. Any idea how I can politely reply to a customer that says this message below who wants to skip this time.
Thanks

“Hi can you leave the windows this time. The weather is so bad it seems pointless. Sorry. See you next time. Thanks”

lol I just had the exact same thing. This is what I sent:

Hello [Name],

The weather is to calm down tomorrow and the rest of the week, that’s why I’ve booked you in. If you don’t want to go ahead I will need to remove you from the round going forward as I can’t keep a space for you if you’re not going to use it, sorry.

Thank you,
[Your Name]

I also clarified in a further message after they replied that if it was bad tomorrow I wouldn’t go ahead. Might want to add that in.

Hello [Name],

The weather is to calm down tomorrow and the rest of the week, that’s why I’ve booked you in. If you don’t want to go ahead I will need to remove you from the round going forward as I can’t keep a space for you if you’re not going to use it, sorry.

Thank you,
[Your Name]

I also clarified in a further message after they replied that if it was bad tomorrow I wouldn’t go ahead. Might want to add that in.

Hello [Name],

Thank you,
[Your Name]

hi. Thanks for that I’ll send that

Hello [Name],

Thank you,
[Your Name]

I usually know what to say but it never always comes out professional lol?

We clean in all weathers, when we think it's safe to do so, and offer the guarantee if they're not clean we will redo them.
We stated this when we first quoted you so if you don't want us to clean them tomorrow then unfortunately you will need to find another window cleaner as my bills don't stop coming in due to bad weather
Thanks for that! We also tell them when we first quote them up etc. but I swear it goes into one ear and out the other, very annoying

Thanks for that! We also tell them when we first quote them up etc. but I swear it goes into one ear and out the other, very annoying
You'll always get those sorts of customers. Tends to be old fashioned sorts who think we do this part time between shifts as a fireman.

I drop them asap. Leaves room for more trustworthy and reliable customers. If you feel a need to respond, I'd say that it's fine and I'll "try to get round to you next time".

Lays the possibility that you may not. Then just drop em.

Otherwise the other method I've used is, "let me get on with it and if you're not happy with the result the next day, don't pay me". I've used it a few times, and always get paid. But mostly it's too much of a red flag for me and I get shot.

I've just had one say to leave it a week because of the 'terrible weather'. I couldn't be bothered arguing and they've never said it before, had them since 2019, so I just said 'no problem'.

Does annoy me though, it's all the media outlets whipping up a storm about nothing. It's just a bit of wind and by 13:00 tomorrow it will seem like a pleasant breezy very mild day.

In answer to your question though, you just have to judge it on a case by case basis, but it also depends on how busy you are. If you can afford to drop customers then you might want to no tolerate it. For me I'm not comfortable with what I've got so I tolerate a lot and am very flexible.

i keep pre printed letters in my van ,ready to post out about a fortnight after getting that sort of person."we can no longer clean your windows ""all the very best ,,,,to you and yours,,,,see you anon ,,away all boats,,,when the love is lost ,,,, farewell ,,,ships in the night ,,,adeiu "

2 storms in one week may be they consider it a valid reason, if I'm in a good mood I won't have an issue with them skipping more so if I'm behind with work,

It ain't the end of the world!!
I'm similar. To be honest doesn't bother me in the slightest. At most I'll get one in a day, every now and then. Also at this time of year with short nights I quite like it. Gives me more time to breathe.

Our verbal con
Hi guys. Any idea how I can politely reply to a customer that says this message below who wants to skip this time.
Thanks

“Hi can you leave the windows this time. The weather is so bad it seems pointless. Sorry. See you next time. Thanks”
Fact is we work in all weather within reason they agree to that before we start working for them , it would be an instant dump from us .

I'm similar. To be honest doesn't bother me in the slightest. At most I'll get one in a day, every now and then. Also at this time of year with short nights I quite like it. Gives me more time to breathe.
It might happen 2-3 times a year for me and it's usually a £10 job so no big deal, the amount times some forget to unlock or unbolt their gate though and I charge them full price more than makes up for it though ?

But that should be his decision not the customers. If it isn't suitable and they are dirty then he'll have to go back

I thought home owners have a duty of care aswell for peoples safety working at there property ?. If its to windy and the pole gets caught with the wind and injures someone coming into the property then surely if the home owner can be liable then the home owner is being responsible telling someone to not do it in storm conditions

I thought home owners have a duty of care aswell for peoples safety working at there property ?. If its to windy and the pole gets caught with the wind and injures someone coming into the property then surely if the home owner can be liable then the home owner is being responsible telling someone to not do it in storm conditions
Strictly speaking they are, however in this instance the person doing the job should know far more than the homeowner. Where the homeowner would be liable is if a trad guy working unsafely, not footed etc, fell off and injured themselves.

It is a waste of time cleaning them in that kind of winds, there's no way the windows will be clean if you do them in storm weather's.
But that should be his decision not the customers. If it isn't suitable and they are dirty then he'll have to go back
This is what happened to me yesterday. I knew the weather was forecast to be fine and it was. So I would have missed a job for no reason. I explained to her if it was bad I wouldn’t go ahead.

This is what happened to me yesterday. I knew the weather was forecast to be fine and it was. So I would have missed a job for no reason. I explained to her if it was bad I wouldn’t go ahead.
It was blowing a gale yesterday morning and I never had 1 cancellation the only thing that got cancelled was velux on 3 storey houses as it was unsafe to clean them so I did the garage doors to compensate

Latest Posts

Back