Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reel hose mine has become unmanageable!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JEM

I did do a search on this, honest?

When I first started out I just used a backpack, then mid summer last year I bought myself some hose with reel. I did go cheap and bought this

Ebay

Forgive me fellow windys

It was fine in the warmer months, but now with some of the colder weather it's become really stiff like a spring.

Now I'm happy to spend money on some good reel hose, but is this a trait of reel hose or is it just what i bought was ****

I would prefer just 50mtrs as i don't think my reel will take much more.

So what reel hose would you guys/girls recommended that stays soft/pliable in the colder months.

My pole hose is the Gardiner FLEXIBLE REINFORCED YELLOW PVC and that is really nice to work with but not recommended for using on the reel

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I did do a search on this, honest?

When I first started out I just used a backpack, then mid summer last year I bought myself some hose with reel. I did go cheap and bought this

Ebay

Forgive me fellow windys

It was fine in the warmer months, but now with some of the colder weather it's become really stiff like a spring.

Now I'm happy to spend money on some good reel hose, but is this a trait of reel hose or is it just what i bought was ****

I would prefer just 50mtrs as i don't think my reel will take much more.

So what reel hose would you guys/girls recommended that stays soft/pliable in the colder months.

My pole hose is the Gardiner FLEXIBLE REINFORCED YELLOW PVC and that is really nice to work with but not recommended for using on the reel
I've been using Streamline 6mm HI-VIZ Microbore for a few years now. I'm very happy with it. Before that I used the Ecoline but I realise having now used both that the Ecoline is a less suitable hose for my usage. Absolutely fine with cold water but swells with hot water. It would be fine with a trolley using cold.

20220117_170204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been using Streamline 6mm HI-VIZ Microbore for a few years now. I'm very happy with it. Before that I used the Ecoline but I realise having now used both that the Ecoline is a less suitable hose for my usage. Absolutely fine with cold water but swells with hot water. It would be fine with a trolley using cold.

View attachment 26281
I've been looking at that hose as a option, thanks Davy

I found if here https://www.soapnational.co.uk/shop/6mm-hi-viz-streamline-hose-100m/, Would you say it's the same stuff you use? as for 100mtrs it's not a bad price.

I'm also tempted to buy the clover metal reel they do which is also Streamline and is £75 which is the cheapest I've seen it

Do you know what the OD is of the Streamline 6mm microbore i think the 8mm is maybe 14mm OD not sure about the 6mm edited i believe its 12mm OD

So you use hot water, I think my hose would be fine with hot water ie it would be nice and supple. but that isn't a option for me at the moment

what i don't want is to spend £ on a new hose and it's still like a angry coil spring?

Welcome. @JEM I really can't say whether it's the same hose. I can't see the od listed.

The Clover type reel is the only type I've used in my seven years and I see no sign of them nearing they're end. I know some don't like them but I doubt there's a tougher more reliable reel to be had. They've always looked right to me.

We have two in the van and a spare loaded with hose at home just to have spares.

The powder coating chips off over time with hard work... Matters not one bit to me. I want the over engineered reliability, longevity and speed. They are slightly heavy. That doesn't matter to me either. They are never lifted out of the van just loosely tethered so they can't fall out and we swivel them to our direction of work.

They are super quick and easy to wind in providing one simple, easy modification is done BEFORE the hose is loaded. Drill two 6mm holes in the groove of each of the two side plates and put some 6mm threaded bar through from one plate to the other with a nut and washer on the ends to prevent the end plates from trying to sspread (spreading causes friction). A simple, quick job that improves the reel immensely.

20220102_140115.jpg

So you use hot water, I think my hose would be fine with hot water ie it would be nice and supple. but that isn't a option for me at the moment

what i don't want is to spend £ on a new hose and it's still like a angry coil spring?
I have just received a Claber metal reel and highviz hose from Bailey WFP systems as it seemed cheapest out there. Claber metal 40 reel is £45, 100m 6mm hi viz hose £42 , Claber Aquastop 6 and 8mm connector (6mm needed boiling water and a good push to fit) £8, plus what ever you need to your pole hose all plus VAT so about £132 inc vat delivered! 

I was going to get a clover reel but @Apw1210 suggested the Claber metal one as it's lighter weight and my back isn't great and I am very pleased with his recommendation. 

It's the first 6mm hose I have used and that was just a test round my own house but wow, I was using cold water, it just unreeled in a straight line no memory effect that I could see. We did reel it off the coil the same way it was wound if you get me? As in as I rotated the coil as it was wound onto the reel, I didn't uncoil it all then try and reel it on.

So far I am very impressed with the hose but it is very very early days.

Awesome thanks guys, I think i might have to do a mix and match of what you both recommend, As in the future i like the idea of modifying the reel to electric the same as Squaky clean dave has done. And the hose you are using Ched sounds good as you also use cold water, but i'm sure it won't be long before you have joined the hot water crew? 

So you wound the hose on the reel like fishing line like when you put a pencil though the spool so it reels on as it reels off

View attachment 26281
I use the streamline 6mm hi vis. One of the best hoses I've used. Great performance and design 

Unfortunately you ll have to put up with it in this cold weather.....I couldn't imagine working with cold water anymore!(I used to and the hose was always like wire in this weather!)

Unfortunately you ll have to put up with it in this cold weather.....I couldn't imagine working with cold water anymore!(I used to and the hose was always like wire in this weather!)
Mines 2 years old as long as you take care not to spin with it then I don’t get many kinks at all. Also on last job I disconnect pole and straighten it out ready for the day after as pole stays connected while I’m working . If its been twisted I’ll pull them all the way to the pole then when i get pole out I will twist it back straight before starting the next house 

Not really a problem imo 

I thought i'd do an update

I treated myself to a clover streamline reel and streamline 100m 6mm high viz hose got them from Soap National who did a great price on them with next day.

I was a bit unlucky as the spindle/manifold had a pin hole in it, it looks like where they drill out the threaded section they went a bit too far with the drill! Soap National sent out a replacement same day

what a difference good quality hose makes, now i know how bad my other hose was this stuff sits flat on the ground stays supple just makes working a lot easier?

I thought i'd do an update

I treated myself to a clover streamline reel and streamline 100m 6mm high viz hose got them from Soap National who did a great price on them with next day.

I was a bit unlucky as the spindle/manifold had a pin hole in it, it looks like where they drill out the threaded section they went a bit too far with the drill! Soap National sent out a replacement same day

what a difference good quality hose makes, now i know how bad my other hose was this stuff sits flat on the ground stays supple just makes working a lot easier?
I wouldn't of brought a Streamline reel. Grossly overpriced most of the time and ad for quality control you've experienced that 

I wouldn't of brought a Streamline reel. Grossly overpriced most of the time and ad for quality control you've experienced that 
I think all the clover reels are probably built in the same factory, It was £75 which isn't too bad. 

I think all the clover reels are probably built in the same factory, It was £75 which isn't too bad. 
Not a bad price to be fair but I dislike how wide clover reels are in terms of stick out with the long manifold, hose connector and crank handle. One reason why I'll never own one 

Not a bad price to be fair but I dislike how wide clover reels are in terms of stick out with the long manifold, hose connector and crank handle. One reason why I'll never own one 
I do agree about the size and the weight of the things, with 100m of 6mm it must be about 25kg

But i do like doing diy modifications and might in the future fit a sprocket and a motor

I do agree about the size and the weight of the things, with 100m of 6mm it must be about 25kg

But i do like doing diy modifications and might in the future fit a sprocket and a motor
Keep using your arm. Less hassle maintenance batteries and free fitness 

As you like tweeking your own modifications if you find the reel gets stiff because the end plates push apart against the bushes there's a very cheap and easy fix which I have described in at least a couple of past posts. Empty the reel so you can see the inside. Drill two 6mm holes opposite each other through each of the two endplate grooves. Put some 6mm threaded bar through from one plate to the opposite one and put a washer and nut on each end. Tighten snuggly (no need to over tighten) You will have a reel that will almost freewheel when you're taking hose off and when you're rewinding.

As you like tweeking your own modifications if you find the reel gets stiff because the end plates push apart against the bushes there's a very cheap and easy fix which I have described in at least a couple of past posts. Empty the reel so you can see the inside. Drill two 6mm holes opposite each other through each of the two endplate grooves. Put some 6mm threaded bar through from one plate to the opposite one and put a washer and nut on each end. Tighten snuggly (no need to over tighten) You will have a reel that will almost freewheel when you're taking hose off and when you're rewinding.
Yep Davy

I noted what you said above ? I did think when it went together it could easily force apart. I do remember Squeaky clean Dave also saying the same thing more because the hot water was forcing things apart.

Yep Davy

I noted what you said above ? I did think when it went together it could easily force apart. I do remember Squeaky clean Dave also saying the same thing more because the hot water was forcing things apart.
By all means @JEMgive it a go as it is. You might be lucky. I would source the necessary as I suggested in the meantime (decent hardware shop) and have it ready, for the few modest quid it would cost.

20220102_140115.jpg It's an obvious design and manufacturing fault which should have been addressed years ago. Having said that if it gives you problems, once sorted you should be fine for years. I wouldn't live with mine without the modification. I still have my original reel going strong after seven years. Plus two of about five or so years from memory. One being a ready to go spare.

In the photo one of the two bars can be seen in the groove just below the 9 o clock position.

By all means @JEMgive it a go as it is. You might be lucky. I would source the necessary as I suggested in the meantime (decent hardware shop) and have it ready, for the few modest quid it would cost.

View attachment 26318 It's an obvious design and manufacturing fault which should have been addressed years ago. Having said that if it gives you problems, once sorted you should be fine for years. I wouldn't live with mine without the modification. I still have my original reel going strong after seven years. Plus two of about five or so years from memory. One being a ready to go spare.

In the photo one of the two bars can be seen in the groove just below the 9 o clock position.
Yep, at least its a easy fix, I'll keep an eye on it for now and pop to Screwfix for some 6mm bar?

Davey,

Interesting you have said that as we have quite a few issues and get told no one else has had issues just you !!!

And I agree what you are saying

Back