Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Replacement O ring seals

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier for replacement O rings for the interior of this please? It's the brass swivel barb for my electric reel.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 18.13.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 18.13.44.png
    355.6 KB · Views: 2
Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier for replacement O rings for the interior of this please? It's the brass swivel barb for my electric reel.
If you can take it to euro car parts or similar they will have a big box of o rings in all shapes and sizes they will have something that will fit it . Or alternatively get some from the firm that supplied the reel and fitting .

If you can take it to euro car parts or similar they will have a big box of o rings in all shapes and sizes they will have something that will fit it . Or alternatively get some from the firm that supplied the reel and fitting .
Tried Euro and there was nothing suitable. Bought a pack from Toolstation with the same results. The solution provided by the supplier was to replace the part altogether. I'm unable to speak to them on the phone to check if they can supply just the O ring.

If you can get the o ring out, use calipers to measure its inner diameter and its thickness (e.g. 14x3) search for that on ebay and you should be able to find a replacement easily enough. If you don't have calipers, it will be harder to measure it accurately though..
Oddly enough the 13 x 3 from Toolstation was just slightly smaller than the one on there. I think 14 x 3 may well work. I thought I'd post it first incase I was well off instead of just waiting for the O rings to arrive.

I bought a box of various O Rings from Screwfix and none of them worked for my application.

If an O Ring is a hairbreadth too small, wrapping the shaft with a couple of turns of PTFE tape and then fit the o ring can sometimes solve the problem.

I bought a box of various O Rings from Screwfix and none of them worked for my application.

If an O Ring is a hairbreadth too small, wrapping the shaft with a couple of turns of PTFE tape and then fit the o ring can sometimes solve the problem.
Thanks Spruce. I did suggest popping a small amount of PTFE tape around this but we weren't sure it would work. This block is taken to pieces by removing a Circlip and just sits on the outsides of the reel. There is a fair amount of movement on this and also an issue with the reel where it bobs up and down slightly at the block which is possibly what caused the wearing on the ring itself. I may try some PTFE tomorrow and see if it does anything. I've ordered some 14 x 3mm and 14 x 4mm, this should solve this particular problem with a bit of luck!

Thanks Spruce. I did suggest popping a small amount of PTFE tape around this but we weren't sure it would work. This block is taken to pieces by removing a Circlip and just sits on the outsides of the reel. There is a fair amount of movement on this and also an issue with the reel where it bobs up and down slightly at the block which is possibly what caused the wearing on the ring itself. I may try some PTFE tomorrow and see if it does anything. I've ordered some 14 x 3mm and 14 x 4mm, this should solve this particular problem with a bit of luck!
I hope this works for you. The problem we often face is that a manufacturer doesn't want you to fix the part, he wants to sell you a new part and for you to throw the old part away. So they often won't list that item as a spare part.

In your case, the other issue is that the O ring is worn and so difficult to use as a sample. Even taking out an O Ring from a brand new part may not help you with measuring for the correct size, as they are often compressed during assembly.

Is this for a water works reel ? Mine is leaking and I haven’t got round to changing the o ring. Interested to know so I can order the same size

Is this for a water works reel ? Mine is leaking and I haven’t got round to changing the o ring. Interested to know so I can order the same size
PowerUP HD Rubber O Rings - Waterworks Window Cleaning for a pack of Five £19.14 delivered as it's £6.95 for DPD delivery, alternatively ProLoc Hose Reel Inlet | Window Cleaning Hose & Reels - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd and change the whole thing but that's only if you were also needing to order a few other bits and pieces

That’s an absolute rip off I used to pay about £2 for a small handful
Forgot to reply to this, yes definitely a rip-off ideally I need to ask around to see if anyone I know has a calliper to measure the size of the O ring and buy a bundle for a fraction of the cost

Forgot to reply to this, yes definitely a rip-off ideally I need to ask around to see if anyone I know has a calliper to measure the size of the O ring and buy a bundle for a fraction of the cost
You can get a budget Digital Vernier callipers £6 - they won't be perfectly accurate and are plastic so a bit delicate but for occasional use they would be fine.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get a budget Digital Vernier callipers £6 - they won't be perfectly accurate and are plastic so a bit delicate but for occasional use they would be fine.
Thanks, young man they'd be a once in a lifetime use ? thinking on this now it would be pointless for me to buy a pair as I last changed the O ring in May 2019 so it will have compressed over time, looking at my expenses I did buy some back then when it was last leaking for £10.50 with postage I just can't find the bleeding things I usually keep all my small spares in my toolbox in the back of the van.

When it started leaking I went to Screwfix and bought a multi-pack they weren't any good well one was the same diameter but it was too thick and wouldn't compress enough, my starting point would be to check the thickness on those and if they are 4mm then I'd guess I need ones that are 2mm like thesehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293270071291?hash=item44484227fb:g:VIcAAOSwIo1c5WWy which are £1.90 for a pack of 5 with free delivery

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
After seeking a bit of independent troubleshooting it seems likely my O Ring issue is because the reels aren’t level. You can see the bounce on the elbow and the reels in these vids;

I’ve changed the O Rings but this may become a recurring problem with the movement on the reels ??‍♂️ at least my van isn’t getting drenched every morning anymore.

After seeking a bit of independent troubleshooting it seems likely my O Ring issue is because the reels aren’t level. You can see the bounce on the elbow and the reels in these vids;

I’ve changed the O Rings but this may become a recurring problem with the movement on the reels ??‍♂️ at least my van isn’t getting drenched every morning anymore.

You need the pure freedom stainless steel reels not that rubbish ???????

Either the spindle is bent or the rotary joint is incorrectly made. With that much movement it will as you say fail again. If the reel is less than 2 years old I would have a chat with the supplier!

Latest Posts

Back