Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting up working from car with wfp

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks for the reply and information @Joshyouare

Option 2 seems to be my preferred one but having to use pure water is one of the main issues, as you mentioned finding where I can even get it? 

Then how much is it?

you think option 2 can be done at around 240-300?

I wouldn’t be looking to get a DI or RO, I’d rather just buy a barrel of pure water once a week or something? 

I also want to make sure the pole I buy is good and compatable with a tank/backpack I buy, it’s all new to me.

Thanks for the reply and information @Joshyouare

Option 2 seems to be my preferred one but having to use pure water is one of the main issues, as you mentioned finding where I can even get it? 

Then how much is it?

you think option 2 can be done at around 240-300?

I wouldn’t be looking to get a DI or RO, I’d rather just buy a barrel of pure water once a week or something? 

I also want to make sure the pole I buy is good and compatable with a tank/backpack I buy, it’s all new to me.

Respectfully you need to think about it ?

Do you know how much water it takes to clean a house for example?

Some things there's obviously no set answer for. But things like that you need to have an idea before you consider it.

For me, on my first cleans, I've been using about 25L for a fairly dirty 3-bed semi - I'm sure some guys can have it done in far less.

So you can't just go and fill up a 25l barrel and expect it to last all week.

Write down all the questions you need answering - search them on the forum search bar. If you can't find them then put them into google.

And as I keep saying, you need to get a TDS meter, then you'll know how much you need to spend. I make my own pure water with a DI Vessel and Resin, but I live in a fairly soft water area so you might need something I might not. Not sure why you don't want to get a DI or RO system?

With respect on the whole people assume window cleaning is a very cheap business to set up when we really it isn't, yes it can be done on a budget let's say, but even 11 years ago I spent in excess of £1,000 on a trolley pole and an R/O

There is a wealth of information on this forum and by researching as in reading through pages and pages of waterfed pole topics and the diy and tutorial forum all this information is at your fingertips. 

Respectfully you need to think about it ?

Do you know how much water it takes to clean a house for example?

Some things there's obviously no set answer for. But things like that you need to have an idea before you consider it.

For me, on my first cleans, I've been using about 25L for a fairly dirty 3-bed semi - I'm sure some guys can have it done in far less.

So you can't just go and fill up a 25l barrel and expect it to last all week.

Write down all the questions you need answering - search them on the forum search bar. If you can't find them then put them into google.

And as I keep saying, you need to get a TDS meter, then you'll know how much you need to spend. I make my own pure water with a DI Vessel and Resin, but I live in a fairly soft water area so you might need something I might not. Not sure why you don't want to get a DI or RO system?
I would only be using the pure water on top windows and be sparing with it, I wouldn’t want to have to keep purchasing pure water all week.

I have searched through these forums and what I search for tons of other threads come up that don’t have the information I need.

I don’t want to get RO and DI system as it’s more money, then I don’t see any point in me getting a TDS meter if I’d be looking to purchase pure water?

Can anyone tell me where I would purchase pure water and how much it is, even a rough estimate.

With respect on the whole people assume window cleaning is a very cheap business to set up when we really it isn't, yes it can be done on a budget let's say, but even 11 years ago I spent in excess of £1,000 on a trolley pole and an R/O

There is a wealth of information on this forum and by researching as in reading through pages and pages of waterfed pole topics and the diy and tutorial forum all this information is at your fingertips. 
Yes it certainly is dearer and more complicated then you would think.

Ive been searching the forums but cannot find a lot of the answers to things I need.

I would only be using the pure water on top windows and be sparing with it, I wouldn’t want to have to keep purchasing pure water all week.

I have searched through these forums and what I search for tons of other threads come up that don’t have the information I need.

I don’t want to get RO and DI system as it’s more money, then I don’t see any point in me getting a TDS meter if I’d be looking to purchase pure water?

Can anyone tell me where I would purchase pure water and how much it is, even a rough estimate.

Sorry mate but there's only so much we can help you. A simple google search will bring up Spotless Water - they charge 4p a litre on average I think?

By buying water off of spotless water you will be spending money, yes the initial outlay will be a bit less but you'd have to go to the place for a start which means spending money on fuel and spend time getting it. 

How much water does it take on a maintenance clean for just the tops on a 3 bed semi?

Sorry mate but there's only so much we can help you. A simple google search will bring up Spotless Water - they charge 4p a litre on average I think?

By buying water off of spotless water you will be spending money, yes the initial outlay will be a bit less but you'd have to go to the place for a start which means spending money on fuel and spend time getting it. 

How much water does it take on a maintenance clean for just the tops on a 3 bed semi?
I would imagine it would use much water at all, maybe a few litres.

How much are those TDS, R0 and DI systems? 

Just all seems a big outlay when I haven’t even canvassed yet so have 0 customers.

Just all seems a big outlay when I haven’t even canvassed yet so have 0 customers.

Like you I've always had concerns about outlays, no customers etc. Thing is though if you don't splash the cash, you won't get the customers. Rome wasn't built overnight and neither will your window cleaning round. I've splashed £400 on my gear, it's a lot to me but i know that it will pay for itself - eventually AND it means I am in control of my work life with no boss screaming and shouting at me like so many do these days. You need to think of it the same way. You're holding yourself back with doubt like I have for years. That £400 investment will earn hundreds / thousands back if you put in the effort.

Moons ago I splashed £60 on a socket set to do a car repair. I felt guilty as hell for it - sixty quid, what on earth was I thinking? Then i needed some spring compressors... yikes.. another £35. £100 of tools just to do one job...  I got the job done with some help and advice from the neighbours and then realised I'd previously been quoted £400 for the same job at a quick motoring chain. £150 at a normal garage and over £200 at the main dealers. Suddenly the expense of those tools was justified - proving that what is important is the way you think about it not the actual money spent. Oh and consequently I now have a garage stacked with tools... urgh. My rule of thumb is if I can make a tool pay for itself within a couple of car repairs, it's paid for itself. At £10 - £20 a house, it'll take a bit longer but the window gear will soon pay for itself too. Get a few conservatories and that's even quicker.

I have just looked and there is a spotless water supply 22 minutes from my house a 2p a litre, that’s good right?

I just paid £10 for 170L which works out at 6p per litre. 2p a litre is a bargain.

My head hurts reading this thread! I reckon i'm over the 10k mark now if I include the van, worth every penny. Probably could have done it cheaper though.

Thanks for the inspiring response @Tango sorry it’s 3p per litre not 2, still I’m happy with that price and it’s not far from me, I’m looking at buying the gardiner backpack https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack/new-gardiner-pure-water-backpack-v3-22-litre.html this one, would any wfp fit with this or would I need a gardiner brand one?

once I’ve got the back pack and pole I’m set up right?

also would the pole fit it my car ok as my car is not too big.

Thanks for the inspiring response @Tango sorry it’s 3p per litre not 2, still I’m happy with that price and it’s not far from me, I’m looking at buying the gardiner backpack https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/the-gardiner-backpack/new-gardiner-pure-water-backpack-v3-22-litre.html this one, would any wfp fit with this or would I need a gardiner brand one?

Dude come on, how are we meant to know if a pole is going to fit in your car?

You need something to carry the water in as well mate, I'd also recommend getting some waterproof boot liner.

My SLX27 fits quite easily into the wife's focus C-Max.

You are ''set up'' as you say, you would also need additional water containers as 22 litres ain't getting you very far! There are other bits you'll need like a TDS meter to check the water is pure, cloths, perhaps a window scraper... Loads of little things.

would any wfp fit with this or would I need a gardiner brand one?

The back pack can work with any pole - it has some hose attached, as long as you get yourself some connectors, longer hose and a pole... you're sorted in that regard yes.

As for stuff you'll need..

Trolley to carry the back pack (it's too heavy when full - even Gardiner are realistic enough to recommend a trolley):

img109.jpg

I've seen cheap trolleys at bootsales / ebay etc. IF you're super skint, try freecycle too as someone might have something suitable.

Bungee cords to strap the back pack onto the trolley

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Bungee-Cord-Elastic-Luggage-Straps-Rope-Hooks-Stretch-Tie/350805835312?hash=item51ada83e30:g:yCUAAOSwbqpTrhPr

Shoe covers - means you don't need to take them off walking through someones house (oh and you can also put them over your trolley wheels and take that through the house too - tested that on my trolley!):

covers.jpg

Water containers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-25-LITRE-25L-25000ML-NEW-PLASTIC-BOTTLE-JERRY-CAN-WATER-CONTAINER-CARRIER/362335972379?epid=8020018061&hash=item545ce82c1b:g:EIQAAOSwvl9bq56O

Probably some warm gloves, disposable gloves and when you can, spare connectors / hose.. whatever stops you "breaking down" out there and lets you keep going. 

TDS meter - still need to get one of those myself.

Probably a few other bits too but those are the basics I have bought.

I got the CLX27 pole, fits okay into the astra - load it in via the boot and let it rest on the front passenger seat. You didn't tell us what car you actually have though so I'm not saying yes as you might have an old fashioned mini made in the 70s lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My SLX27 fits quite easily into the wife's focus C-Max.

You are ''set up'' as you say, you would also need additional water containers as 22 litres ain't getting you very far! There are other bits you'll need like a TDS meter to check the water is pure, cloths, perhaps a window scraper... Loads of little things.
Cool, yeah I have loads of the traditional window cleaning items like cloths, squeegee blades, applicators etc, how many barrells are ok to put in a car do you know?

The back pack can work with any pole - it has some hose attached, as long as you get yourself some connectors, longer hose and a pole... you're sorted in that regard yes.

As for stuff you'll need..

Trolley to carry the back pack (it's too heavy when full - even Gardiner are realistic enough to recommend a trolley):

View attachment 16007

I've seen cheap trolleys at bootsales / ebay etc. IF you're super skint, try freecycle too as someone might have something suitable.

Bungee cords to strap the back pack onto the trolley

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Bungee-Cord-Elastic-Luggage-Straps-Rope-Hooks-Stretch-Tie/350805835312?hash=item51ada83e30:g:yCUAAOSwbqpTrhPr

Shoe covers - means you don't need to take them off walking through someones house (oh and you can also put them over your trolley wheels and take that through the house too - tested that on my trolley!):

View attachment 16010

Water containers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-25-LITRE-25L-25000ML-NEW-PLASTIC-BOTTLE-JERRY-CAN-WATER-CONTAINER-CARRIER/362335972379?epid=8020018061&hash=item545ce82c1b:g:EIQAAOSwvl9bq56O

Probably some warm gloves, disposable gloves and when you can, spare connectors / hose.. whatever stops you "breaking down" out there and lets you keep going. 

TDS meter - still need to get one of those myself.

Probably a few other bits too but those are the basics I have bought.

I got the CLX27 pole, fits okay into the astra - load it in via the boot and let it rest on the front passenger seat. You didn't tell us what car you actually have though so I'm not saying yes as you might have an old fashioned mini made in the 70s lol.
Awesome post mate cheers. My car is a fiat punto active 09 plate, how many barrells would be ok to put in my car at 25l, I will only be using the wfp on upstairs windows to hopefully save blasting through litres and litres.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can your car carry 3 passengers in the back without collapsing onto the road? Most can so 150L will be easy to carry if the boot is big enough. Failing that, fill the boot with water containers and any left over you can strap onto a seat with a seatbelt.

If you've got a car though and 6x 25L storage containers, I wouldn't worry about doing traditional downstairs - it'll be slower and eat into your time_is_money ratio, Plus you might need to carry more normal tap water for that so that's even more water...

Face it, you've got a car, if you buy the bits I mention, you might as well go WFP all the way and not worry about the cost of the pure water. 

My head hurts reading this thread! I reckon i'm over the 10k mark now if I include the van, worth every penny. Probably could have done it cheaper though.

I was laughing at the head hurts mine an all mate, I am looking at spending a good chunk of money again this year on having a tank frame fitted and just realised last night I need to change tanks form an upright to a flat tank so more money providing it can be fitted which hopefully changing tanks shouldn't be an issue. 

Hello everyone, I’m looking to start up my window cleaning business and would be looking to go the wfp route but I would be using my car which is not the biggest it’s a fiat punto active.
I have checked if long pole will fit in my car with a trad long pole which is 6.5 ft when enclosed and it fits no problem.
I’m thinking I can get 4 25lt barrells in my car, I’d have the back pack, wfp then I’m all set right?
I already have squeegee blades, applicators, bucket, step ladders, leathers, cloths etc.
I’m basically asking if it’s do-able working from your car, has anyone else done this to start off with or currently doing it?
Once I have some steady work I would be looking to purchase a small van.

Everyone started somewhere.. I'm starting with my car, our window cleaner started the same way... 

I got my leaflets today, just need to be allowed the time to put them out.. er indoors isn't treating that with any sort of priority despite always moaning about money etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, I’m looking to start up my window cleaning business and would be looking to go the wfp route but I would be using my car which is not the biggest it’s a fiat punto active.
I have checked if long pole will fit in my car with a trad long pole which is 6.5 ft when enclosed and it fits no problem.
I’m thinking I can get 4 25lt barrells in my car, I’d have the back pack, wfp then I’m all set right?
I already have squeegee blades, applicators, bucket, step ladders, leathers, cloths etc.
I’m basically asking if it’s do-able working from your car, has anyone else done this to start off with or currently doing it?
Once I have some steady work I would be looking to purchase a small van.
@Hyzer373 I am merging your posts as you are near enough asking the same questions across multiple posts, just appreciate people can only answer at certain times 

yes its do-able . once you get a few customers youll soon get an idea of how much water youre using per house  . once you've been doing them for a bit youll get faster and youll notice youre not using as much water on regular cleaned houses .   

on a standard ,regularly cleaned window (a window with two panes for glass ) youll use on average 2ltr of water (sometimes more sometimes less)  so with a 25ltr barrel you can realisticly clean 10 windows with that .

what I call a standard window is a window with two panes of glass and I want 1pound to do it (there will be bigger windows and bay windows and  all sorts of shapes and sizes .you ll have to set you prices for them )
  10 window per barrel  x  4 =40windows   when your up to scratch 40 window will not take you long  . go home have a brew refill barrels go out again 

So in summary you want to spend as close to £200 as possible and plan to work out of a Fiat Punto.

200.gif

Latest Posts

Back