Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking Of Joining In.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's about 50/50 as to ppl on here having there own windy.

I don't as in still fairly new so have the time.

However once you get going you probs won't have time to do your own lol

Used to have a windy years ago when i lived with parents but just do my own now (when the mrs gets on my case! lol)

Hi again guys....and gals /emoticons/smile.png BTW Shazzy, I did spot another female member while I was browsing the threads tonight....'lisawilson288'.

Right, I finally got my car back on the road today after a week of bitterly cold wind and problems with a cheapo spring compressor and so, I decided to pop over to the cleaning warehouse and take a look. This is what I came away with:-

Unger ergotec Tbar 14"

A Monsoon

Ergotec squeegee handle with soft 14" channel and a spare hard 6" channel

A scrim and a black bucket.

£37.77 in total /emoticons/ohmy.png

I was looking at the green Unger buckets but a bit pricey I thought for what they are so, decided to start with the plain bucket for just over a quid. I basically just wanted enough to start practising. I did feel a moment of triumph as I glanced down at what I'd bought while driving home.

So, I got home and decided to have a go on my kitchen windows. In my first pass, I left a ton of water on the glass lol so, I tried and tried again. I felt I was improving but am still leaving alot of water around the edges. The place I'm struggling most is, I cut in on the top left and swipe the squeegee over to the right and then down but then, I get sort of stuck. I'm not to clever with that turn back into the window, I find I'm sort of pushing the squeegee upwards which causes a stutter and water to pass upwards. I've been viewing youtubes again and know I just need to perfect or....just simply improve on that turn.

I also feel that the squeegee is abit too long for me to learn as the windows in my house are only aproximately 16" wide and I was having more success with the 6" channel connected. I feel that maybe I should be using a 10" to learn instead ? I know the 14" would probably be best once I get going but, I just find the window space is very tight whilst I'm trying to learn that turn. What do you guys think ? The trouble is of course, the place is closed now until Monday so I'm sort of stuck /emoticons/sad.png

I've thought about cutting it down to 10" but, I'm not only unsure whether that can damage the window frames if I don't do a good job but also, I don't fancy cutting into something I've just bought.

One more thing, the guy advised me to buy the soft rubber but I was sure I had read that people prefer the hard rubber on this forum but, went with his advice anyway.

Thanks for reading guys and any advice would be appreciated...

Mart.

Welcome to the forum mate, I think you just answered a question that someone put to the forum recently. What is traditional /emoticons/biggrin.png
Many thanks, that is pure trad /emoticons/biggrin.png (these new fangled squeegees humph!)

Thanks for the reply Dodger.

One more thing, I've left my applicator lying across my empty bucket for now but, is that ok or should I rinse it and put it to dry ? This is something I'm obvioulsly going to need to know for when I start.

Cheers...

Mart.

Wrong man to answer coz I've never used a bucket but I rinse mine in warm water every night. All three or four depends how many times I changed em. Never bother drying coz they'll get wet again.

hi ya MART101 good luck with the windows, by the way i am 6ft2"and 17 stone and 60yrs of age, ya will soon get used to flying on the ladders, and i still scrim the fan lights and little windows, take ya time do a good job and be polite, speed will come with practise,...........pete

Thanks lads...I'll just leave it as it is then and once I start up, I'll wash it with my cloths as you say.

Pete, thanks for your post, it really motivates me mate. I do intend to keep a shammy in the bottom of my bucket for those small awkward windows. Diamond leaded for example, I'll clean them the way I did 20 odd years ago...clean with wet shammy and then move on to the next pane while they dry, and then come back to buff to a shine.

Making a good job and being polite is something I look forward to. Getting out there again amongst my customers and complimenting them on their garden flowers for example, I find goes a long way to building up that reputation that can lead you to better places. Of course, last time I did this,, I was very young and abit shy and naive but, I still always had time for my customers and I really look forward to this side of the job again. I'm a big believer in the saying 'it's nice to be nice' /emoticons/smile.png

Thanks again...

Mart.

Ditch the shammy and get microfibres and scrim. When blading, it's all in the wrist action. My wrists are very supple, I get lots of practice /emoticons/smile.png

Hi Mart -

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the world of window cleaning! I've been reading the thread over a cup of tea this morning and thought I'd write you a few words of support /emoticons/smile.png

Firstly, don't worry about 'stepping on peoples toes' when you want to go out canvassing. There's not really any such thing anymore - The only thing that's bad form really is to go around saying "whatever you're paying, i'll do it for less" i.e. undercutting people - what I usually do is knock on the door and when they answer say "Hello, I'm (name) from MondeoMartys window cleaning... (hand them over a flyer while saying that)... we're cleaning a few other houses on your road and I just thought I would see if anyone else is looking for a window cleaner or to have their gutters cleaned out"

To this you'll either get one of 4 responses (usually):

1: No. (Friendly no, apologetic no, rude no, they're all the same) - to this you either say "ok thanks anyway, hang on to the flyer incase your situation changes. have a nice morning/evening/day"

2: We've got one thanks: To this I usually say "ok, no problem! Well, keep my flyer somewhere safe and if he ever stops coming or you're not happy with his work give me a call" - If you want to try and pinch it then you can look for any awkward windows and say "is he able to clean *all* the windows? More on this later (wfp)

3: (long pause).."err... maybe.. how much do you charge?" to which I reply "usually about a pound per window, would you like me to have a quick look around and give you a price?" I usually charge £1 for 'normal windows', 50p for 'small windows' and £2 for 'big windows'. What exactly comes to define these catagories is pretty subjective and comes down to how I feel on the day vs. how nice the customer is vs. how much I want the job etc. If I really want it (i.e. its a few doors down from one I already do) I'll knock a few quid off at the end, alternatively if it's going to be a pain in the ass to get to / they have an annoying dog / look like the sort of people who won't pay then I add a few quid on. Simple really. (Window means the whole window + frame, not 'pane of glass')

4: (the best one, also the rarest) "Yes! I've been looking for a window cleaner!!" - Cha ching. You've got a new client. Follow formula above.

Method of work:

I used to just do trad work, but I'd really reccomend getting a basic WFP kit, they really are the bees knees. You can get a 'starter kit' from windowcleaningwarehouse for about £185 quid + vat, and there are lots of cheap RO systems on Ebay. Get a couple of 25L drums / containers from your local hand car wash, clean them out, and get a few containers of pure water and you're set. You can of course just stick to trad and ladders but personally I hate ladders, they're more dangerous and just a pain in the ass. Plus a WFP kit will let you access windows trad guys can't, such as over conservatories and sloped roofs - you will pick up work off trad guys like this. To make the water last longer, use the WFP for the top windows and trad the bottoms.

Lastly you mentioned you have a 14inch squeegee - I personally use a 10inch squeegee for 99% of my work. Its just the 'ideal size' for *me*. I find the shortness of it is compensated for by how nimble I can be with it, I'm faster using that than a bigger squeegee to be honest. Also make sure you get a 'bucket on a belt' and some decent, non slip work boots! Mine I got from sports direct for about 30 quid, they're waterproof and rugged and i leave them laced loose so they slip on and off for when I have to go into customers homes.

Any questions please ask, and welcome back to the world of window cleaning!!

Thanks for your detailed post Kips.

I'm hoping to get out and start canvassing sometime during the week. I do want to avoid streets that have a windy already though atm because, I find that when building up from scratch, you really need to try to find an area or at least a street or two, that doesn't have one, in which to be able to build upwards. That's how I did it twice before and found I came home with quite a few customers after my first canvas.

On saying that, that was when there were alot less windys around I suppose. Looking around and using google, I've already identified two windys that live in my immediate vicinity which may already work along the route/s I have planned to canvas. I've never used flyer's but I may this time but, I think the way to use them is, try to get at least two customers in one street then, flyer the 'not in's and call backs' and the adjacent street/s.

I will be 100% trad but, I do intend to get myself a standard pole for those hard to reach windows, I watched a few video's about this, I think I actually watched one by you Kips ? which was also very helpful. I was thinking of the unger pole but I'm also considering the Harrison that I've seen Dodger talk about...I could do with some advice over this lads....which should I go for ?

I have to watch the pennies atm obviously whilst setting up but, I want as many and the best tools I can get to do the job for the money I spend.

I think I will get myself a 10" channel too. I've cleaned my inside windows today....I couldn't believe the colour of the water I was squeegeeing off lol. I used my 6" and found I was doing quite well although, I did go over each window 2 or 3 times because they were filthy and, to get the practise. I'm not too bad with the turn I was struggling with but now, I'm struggling abit at the bottom. I find I can't decide whether I am low enough to 'cut out?', final swipe along the bottom or, fan once more and then I sort of get all confused and normally leave a wet swirl on the glass :lol:

One thing I would like to ask about on this forum is, payment method. It was all cash 20 odd years ago and I know things have changed alot since then.

Mart.

I'd say go for the Harris Pole. They're something like £18 in b&q and at 18ft they're longer than the unger pole you'll get for the same money.

If you look up a guy on youtube called christopher dawkins aka mywagga, he's got a lot of detailed videos on how to use a wagtail on a pole. This (In my opinion) is the best way to clean windows off the ground floor apart from WFP.

Payment method: Cash is good, people can post cheques, or you can set up paypal, or you can give them your bank details for online transfer.

I used to clean a kebab place once a month in exchange for a lamb shish and chips so really it's up to you!

/emoticons/smile.png

Lol on the kebab mate. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I think I've already been through all of Wagga's vids and really do like the look of the wagtail but, I believe it can be abit tricky to master. It's something I really would like to try though, once I'm up n running I think.

These Harrison's, do they have the lock part to stop your squeegee falling off or, is that something seperate I need to buy or, does it not fit the pole period ? Also, what about these angle joint things can I fit them. I'm really vague on all of this....perhaps I need to go check some vids again, it's hard to take everything in first time around /emoticons/smile.png

Mart.

Just go for it mart,I was working as a window cleaner for company for 15 years.i was scared going on my own 4 years ago so I put 10,000 leaflets out now I've got so much work.as for tax ,self assessment etc just keep receipts and build it up,you'll be fine,practice that squeegee all day. my mrs has threatened to get window cleaner in if don't do mine lol

Thanks lads...and cheers for the motivation Ady.

So, I basically, buy the harris pole and then, the unger adaptors for it ?

I'm pretty sure I can get something sorted from the cleaning warehouse which is local to me....so maybe I'll pop up via B&Q then. Thanks for the info Kips.

Mart.

No probs! Ask to look at the big boy 22ltr backpack tho while you're there and the 22ft facelift pole - should come in at about £190 and is a great way to get into wfp - something to consider for the future

Back