Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Dog

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

Anyone on here have a little van dog?

Is this even a thing? Sure I've seen it before but not sure if it was a one off thing ? be nice to have a little work buddy out with you every day

Anyone on here have a little van dog?

Is this even a thing? Sure I've seen it before but not sure if it was a one off thing ? be nice to have a little work buddy out with you every day
I’ve had to on occasion take my mum’s dog with me to work. As much as I love him, I spend the entire day stressing out about him, especially if it’s hot. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Last edited:
Years ago in another business I used to take my German Shepherd with me in the van he didn’t like being left if only a few minutes came back to the van once and he had chewed the gear **** to bits but he used to love his run on the beach at 6 in the morning

I used to take my staff bull to work every day when he was puppy but he now has dog flap and run of garden and house much easier now he 12 so getting on a bit sleeps most of the time I used to let him in customer's garden if they allow it had to leave him home on hot days tho as to hot in van for dogs in summer

I don’t like dogs, however I’ve always thought it’s cruel to leave it sitting in a van all day bored.

Most dogs, if they are exercised appropriately, would just be asleep at home anyway, so it’s the same being on the sofa or in the van. I used to bring mine with me on and off, she always liked getting a fuss off a few customers and an extra walk at lunch time.

From Spring right through the Summer it will be too hot to leave a dog shut up in the van even with the windows cracked open a bit it's too cruel and if you planned on getting a rescue they wouldn't allow this kind of thing as part of the adoption T&C's on top of this someone will happily smash your window and to knick your dog.

The vast majority of breeds that people own and are in rescue centres are working breeds even those ever so popular cocker-poos because if they have a high percentage of the cocker spaniel in them they can be right little nut jobs because the spaniel in them makes them highly intelligent needing mental stimulation and they can have very high prey drive,

My wife and I got our first rescue almost 23 years ago and never in that time with the dogs we've had I have never considered it a good idea to take one of ours to work, even our current youngest who was destructive as a pup and almost right through to the age of two as it was tempting but she would have probably wrecked the van, apparently, our little whippet cross technically a Lurcher as she is a sighthound breed crossed with one other single breed, so she is predominantly Whippet crossed with a springer spaniel these are two worst breeds to cross due the very high prey drive, she will hunt and kill anything with fur and feathers.

My little rant over these are serious things to consider far too many people have dogs these days and shouldn't a dog should be a No1 priority in a family, unfortunately for a lot of dogs they aren't. this is plain to see in dogs reactive nature, physique coat condition and :poop: all over the garden.

From Spring right through the Summer it will be too hot to leave a dog shut up in the van even with the windows cracked open a bit it's too cruel and if you planned on getting a rescue they wouldn't allow this kind of thing as part of the adoption T&C's on top of this someone will happily smash your window and to knick your dog.

The vast majority of breeds that people own and are in rescue centres are working breeds even those ever so popular cocker-poos because if they have a high percentage of the cocker spaniel in them they can be right little nut jobs because the spaniel in them makes them highly intelligent needing mental stimulation and they can have very high prey drive,

My wife and I got our first rescue almost 23 years ago and never in that time with the dogs we've had I have never considered it a good idea to take one of ours to work, even our current youngest who was destructive as a pup and almost right through to the age of two as it was tempting but she would have probably wrecked the van, apparently, our little whippet cross technically a Lurcher as she is a sighthound breed crossed with one other single breed, so she is predominantly Whippet crossed with a springer spaniel these are two worst breeds to cross due the very high prey drive, she will hunt and kill anything with fur and feathers.

My little rant over these are serious things to consider far too many people have dogs these days and shouldn't a dog should be a No1 priority in a family, unfortunately for a lot of dogs they aren't. this is plain to see in dogs reactive nature, physique coat condition and :poop: all over the garden.
We currently have a dog, but she stays with my wife in the salon every day.

I agree most people shouldn't have dogs, the amount of houses I've been in and out of with previous jobs and the dogs have clearly never been walked in their life's use to really stress me out lol.

Dog ? in the garden is probably the most annoying thing about any job like this, only had it on my hose once so far...

We have a toy poodle, so she's 1.9kg fully grown ?

We’ve got a Cavapoo and my he’s vastly different to my Lab! Been a bit of a learning curve but think we’re getting there. You’re right about their intelligence, he’s far too clever for his own good ?

EDIT: Well, I say this, but today he couldn’t find the treats literally 5mm from his nose. So who knows ?

Very rarely, but the odd occasion I've had mines out for an hour or 2, there's a street I do which goes round in a circle and the middle is all grass, I tell him to stay and hel just watch me. I tell him to stay just outside the customers garden on the pavement as not everyone likes dogs. I've never had anything other than complimentary words about how well behaved he is, a few wanting to keep him aswell.

I wouldn't leave him in the van himself though tbh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708_213043_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_213043_Gallery.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8
We’ve got a Cavapoo and my he’s vastly different to my Lab! Been a bit of a learning curve but think we’re getting there. You’re right about their intelligence, he’s far too clever for his own good ?

EDIT: Well, I say this, but today he couldn’t find the treats literally 5mm from his nose. So who knows ?
Our little lurcher was the first ever pup that we had bought, it was like a baptism of fire for us, the amounts times we said she is going back on Gumtree, now just over two years old I hate to say it she better than our lab who is now 12 years old we have a big bond me and him but he can't walk as far these days so me and the little un go all over for miles she knows when to stop without me have to ask her this usually when we are walking somewhere that is fairly risky and it's almost a sheer drop off one side on the side of a fell

Some customers gardens are like the Chelsea flower show too, can't imagine they will be happy seeing a dog lifting its leg on there prized patch. Depending on the dog you could easily train it not to do it though.

The dog I have the now I could trust to sit and stay as he does what he's told. He's the 6th German sheperd we have had between parents and me. Only this one and 1 previous one didn't need a leed and does exactly as its told. I couldn't trust the others to sit outside the garden, they would be off as soon as they saw a dog to play etc. They listened to a extent.

I think it looks unproffesional?

Its hardly a professional job though is it. Not like your a lawyer and your taking it into the court room.

A window cleaner I see takes his with him but he let's it un every customers garden, from what I've seen anyway. I've seen it ******* in it more than the once. If I were him I'd make the dog stay outside the garden. It would slow you down aswell I'd imagine over the course of the day. Think the dog would get bored aswell.

Its hardly a professional job though is it. Not like your a lawyer and your taking it into the court room.

A window cleaner I see takes his with him but he let's it un every customers garden, from what I've seen anyway. I've seen it ******* in it more than the once. If I were him I'd make the dog stay outside the garden. It would slow you down aswell I'd imagine over the course of the day. Think the dog would get bored aswell.
I dont really care about not being a lawyer , but i still take pride in a clean car, clean uniform and shaved face every time i roll out in the community. A dog just mess up your appearance, its okay if you will put yourself below other proffesions, but i get payed for what i do and therefore i am the definition of a Proffesional.

I dont really care about not being a lawyer , but i still take pride in a clean car, clean uniform and shaved face every time i roll out in the community. A dog just mess up your appearance, its okay if you will put yourself below other proffesions, but i get payed for what i do and therefore i am the definition of a Proffesional.

Have yoy seen the state of some of the window cleaners kicking about?, if anything a dog would help there appearance not mess it up. I seen one of the window cleaners in the bookies taking a bundle of slips, I said wtf you taking all of them for. Instead of paying for buisness cards he just writes windows cleaned today on all the bookie slips and fires them through.

When I laughed and said what you really taking them for, he said he was 100% serious and that's what he's always done. He wasn't joking either. He also has a broken ladder that he walks about with. The second rung is missing. When I asked him if anyone said to him about it he said he tells them it makes the ladder lighter lol.

Back