Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP for other uses too?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

MrRon

Hi there

A bit of a background - I am new to the forum. We do some cleaning work on properties, various things including jet washing, graffiti removal, carpet cleaning etc. Anyway...

I have recently been asked about doing some high access cleaning, most of it isn't actually window cleaning but its things like warehouse exteriors, solar panels, signs etc and I had a few questions please...

- Would a WFP system work for this or is there a better solution? (I'd rather not use ladders / scaffold etc)

- If so, is it a bad idea to use the same kit for this work and window cleaning is it fine?

- I've been reading on here about the backpack solutions mounted on a sack trolley and wondered how high they pump, is there a limit?

- Any recommendations on manufacturers and suppliers would be great

- Finally, how quickly would you go through a tank on a backpack for say cleaning the side of a warehouse? (and how long does the battery last?)

Sorry there are a few questions there but I'm sure there'll be people on here that will know the answers!

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the Gardiner backpack..

Gardiner say the max hose length to be used with their backpack is 20m. I've read one or two members say they've used longer with no problems but keep in mind you'd void your 6 month warranty if you exceed 20m. That said, the pumps are around £30 so not overly expensive to replace if you're managing to rake it in. I use a 27ft pole and it pumps the water to the top of that with no hassle. Probably a good idea to keep a 2nd backpack handy though if you don't want the spare pump and downtime of replacing it in a hurry - that way you can swap over mid-job and replace the pump in your downtime at home.

Battery is pretty good. I get an entire week out of mine on a quiet week with 7-8 clients but generally it'll last you the day. The Gardiner website says it'll do 9 hours and i don't think there's many windys using one for that amount of time every day. It's a large battery fitted in the unit. Can't remember the Ah rating when i took mine apart for a look but it was large enough that i don't worry too much.

Brush / bristle contamination is something to be careful of so you need to be careful what you're cleaning. I always flick my bristles through very aggressively to ensure that any loose debris that might scratch glass is flung back out of the bristles (kinda paranoid about that so the moment my bristles hit a brick the thing comes back down for a flicking). I wouldn't be too put off about cleaning shop signs but as always i'd give the bristles a thorough working after. I say this with my only gear being one pole, one brush head and one back pack - so i'm more dependant on my gear than many here and i'd still do shop signs ete if asked.

Side of a warehouse.. good luck! You'll need a far bigger tank than a backpack or you'll be running to and from your car to fill it up every 25 mins on the slowest speed. I personally wouldn't bother with that kind of work but if you're being asked about it and are contemplating it then expect about 20-25mins on the slowest speed but you'll need to either move like grease lightning to do a warehouse or expect to be there hours and get through more water than your car can carry.

I use my back pack with 30 metres of 6mm microbore attached then 15 meters of pole hose attached to that going up to four floors. Been using it like that for the past 12 months with no issues. A company softwashed some render on a few blocks of flats near me and they were using gardeners 47’ poles to apply and agitate their chems. They were using big tanks(at least 650 litre)to hold their chems though so I don’t think a back pack would cut it on such big jobs. 

If you're looking at cleaning the side of a warehouse then you'll need to invest in a van mounted system. To give you an idea of how much water you'll use is my son and I can empty an 800l tank in less than 6 hours cleaning windows. You will use more cleaning the side of buildings, so a back pack with 20l will last you minutes. 

By all means use a back pack to apply the relevant chemicals and clean the odd sign. 

I use my back pack with 30 metres of 6mm microbore attached then 15 meters of pole hose attached to that going up to four floors. Been using it like that for the past 12 months with no issues. A company softwashed some render on a few blocks of flats near me and they were using gardeners 47’ poles to apply and agitate their chems. They were using big tanks(at least 650 litre)to hold their chems though so I don’t think a back pack would cut it on such big jobs. 

Thanks

As part timer has said a van mount would be needed to do something on that scale not a backpack , we do a lot of commercial building cleaning and wfp works well on that type of thing , spray using a backpack with a Virosol mix 20-1 then give it a scrub rinse with garden hose if one is available job done comes up like new .

You can use wfp on window cleaning ,UPVC such as cladding ,gutters facias,soffits, commercial buildings aluminium plastic Covered panels , solar panels ,and a host of other things  

4C6D73E0-E40F-41BA-82FD-8F62381621C4.jpeg

F3A68BF7-162C-4B12-BBFE-2B707EEDF4EE.jpeg

CEFB57EB-210A-4DF3-B630-D47E0EFA0B81.jpeg

BC744C73-09FE-41CF-8705-25908BE562CA.jpeg

As part timer has said a van mount would be needed to do something on that scale not a backpack , we do a lot of commercial building cleaning and wfp works well on that type of thing , spray using a backpack with a Virosol mix 20-1 then give it a scrub rinse with garden hose if one is available job done comes up like new .

You can use wfp on window cleaning ,UPVC such as cladding ,gutters facias,soffits, commercial buildings aluminium plastic Covered panels , solar panels ,and a host of other things  

View attachment 18250

View attachment 18251

View attachment 18252

View attachment 18253
I agree, use a backpack on a trolley to apply your mix. You should be able to use the customers water supply to do the wash. Hozelock sell a range of adapters for connecting to inside taps if the customer doesn't have an outside type tap. A lot of inside taps have a small filter screwed into the inside which you can temporarily remove to fit the Hozelock adapter. Once the mix is applied cream it in with a small amount of tap water. I use Fairy liquid in my mix (Chemex Superplus) to give it some body but it may not be suitable for mixing with all cleaning chemicals. If possible I would only use purified water on the final rinse of the glass. ?

Latest Posts

Back