Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning customer price increase

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Many people spent alot of money on home and garden improvements in last 2 years. That must be the reason I'm noticing landscapers and gardeners vans sitting on their driveways. I reckon this type of work has dried up now. Gutters, roofs and even outside lights has begun from the leads I'm getting. Just hope they raise pensions and benefits in line with inflation so folk can look forward to a Spring bonus.

Honestly, I don't keep count but lost quite a few around 2 months ago I was down about 10 jobs within about 8 weeks due to house moves and people cancelling I am now only down 5 jobs from my max of 454 jobs.

the number of jobs I have can be challenging to get through and will be as we head further into Autumn and then winter as at almost 48 years of age I can't be smashing out the amount jobs I am as I have long days because of home commitments and will be looking to switch schedules possibly next year
I think I've just been unlucky with house moves and renovations. Just need to get out there and get posting me leaflets and do a lot more grafting.

I fully expect that £15 job will be fine for you. I know you're in a different neck of the woods but £15 used to be my price a few years ago, so I expect your prices will move just like mine have. £15 is a nice rounded number and when you compare it to other direct debits that are all going up, well it's cheap.

Many people spent alot of money on home and garden improvements in last 2 years. That must be the reason I'm noticing landscapers and gardeners vans sitting on their driveways. I reckon this type of work has dried up now. Gutters, roofs and even outside lights has begun from the leads I'm getting. Just hope they raise pensions and benefits in line with inflation so folk can look forward to a Spring bonus.
The trouble is/was that a lot of lads went self-employed during covid and people wanted to spend their money now some of these lads aren't doing the best job or using the best materials the ones and it's likely the work will have dried up for those,

I have seen the state and quality of some jobs and they aren't very good at all badly laid paving on uneven ground the same with that fake grass just shoddy workmanship I even had one customer that had to have their block paved driveway laid again, I was talking to a lad last week who was doing a driveway and he explained he was putting tarmac down before the resin as it's porous others have been known to put concrete down first he said what then happens is standing water freezes in the winter and cracks the resin,

people will very easily part with their money without getting good recommendations or be impatient and want a job done asap, a customer of mine a few years ago wanted sandstone paving down I recommended a mate of mine who usually has a 4-6 month waiting list she didn't want to wait and got a guy who could turn up in two weeks needless to say the job was passable but it was 3-star job

I think I've just been unlucky with house moves and renovations. Just need to get out there and get posting me leaflets and do a lot more grafting.

I fully expect that £15 job will be fine for you. I know you're in a different neck of the woods but £15 used to be my price a few years ago, so I expect your prices will move just like mine have. £15 is a nice rounded number and when you compare it to other direct debits that are all going up, well it's cheap.
I'd be knocking on doors mate, you'll yield better results and fill those gaps faster.

The job is a single isolated job in a street just around the corner from some other jobs but it's a van move plus set up etc so I went in high, I keep telling myself don't take on these jobs because I'll just end up dropping them which I nearly always do but this is priced high enough not to as it will be 15 minutes all in

I'd be knocking on doors mate, you'll yield better results and fill those gaps faster.

The job is a single isolated job in a street just around the corner from some other jobs but it's a van move plus set up etc so I went in high, I keep telling myself don't take on these jobs because I'll just end up dropping them which I nearly always do but this is priced high enough not to as it will be 15 minutes all in
Yeah I use the leaflets because it works for me and brings in the higher priced work like the stuff I've got in december. I then knock the neighbours doors. I could do with grafting on both types though, been too lazy lately.

That job in the next street you've got is how I run mine, so it's one house, pack up then do the next but that travelling time is priced into it effectively. Usually for me it's the customer chatting that is the biggest delay in my day.

The trouble is/was that a lot of lads went self-employed during covid and people wanted to spend their money now some of these lads aren't doing the best job or using the best materials the ones and it's likely the work will have dried up for those,

I have seen the state and quality of some jobs and they aren't very good at all badly laid paving on uneven ground the same with that fake grass just shoddy workmanship I even had one customer that had to have their block paved driveway laid again, I was talking to a lad last week who was doing a driveway and he explained he was putting tarmac down before the resin as it's porous others have been known to put concrete down first he said what then happens is standing water freezes in the winter and cracks the resin,

people will very easily part with their money without getting good recommendations or be impatient and want a job done asap, a customer of mine a few years ago wanted sandstone paving down I recommended a mate of mine who usually has a 4-6 month waiting list she didn't want to wait and got a guy who could turn up in two weeks needless to say the job was passable but it was 3-star job
No one has patience now but they are learning to wait now. You could see it with house buying and usually the top of the cycle. I have found woman are worse than men for wanting stuff done right away and you turn to the man for payment. ?

Yeah I use the leaflets because it works for me and brings in the higher priced work like the stuff I've got in december. I then knock the neighbours doors. I could do with grafting on both types though, been too lazy lately.

That job in the next street you've got is how I run mine, so it's one house, pack up then do the next but that travelling time is priced into it effectively. Usually for me it's the customer chatting that is the biggest delay in my day.
It's nearly always the talking that slows me down as well, spent 30 minutes chatting yesterday but still smashed out 32 jobs some of those were just terraced fronts though

I’m sure this has been discussed many times, but I just wanted to ask it anyways!
So I’m looking to put my prices up in January for my regular window cleaning customers as they’ve been on the same price for a long time now and with costs going up etc
so I want to get any advice on how much price increase is respectable for my customers and isn’t taking the mick.
And also what/how do you say it to your customers that you’ll be putting up the prices. Any template message or help/advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
I wouldn't do it in January. Everyone is depressed, and might turn around, and say 'I don't require your services'.
I would try in April, new tax year, also people start to think more positive, as spring is here. Also, know your customers. Some won't mind, others will. Never increase it by more than 10% as a general rule. It's a hard one. Hope that helps

Energy prices aren't meant to come down until the year after next, if your not making decent money by all means put them up. If your making decent money I'd be more inclined to hold off a year until 2024 when it's meant to come down. If the forecast is wrong and it doesn't come down then explain when you put them up that you have already held off a year as you knew it wouldn't be ideal for people In the current situation.

Energy prices aren't meant to come down until the year after next, if your not making decent money by all means put them up. If your making decent money I'd be more inclined to hold off a year until 2024 when it's meant to come down. If the forecast is wrong and it doesn't come down then explain when you put them up that you have already held off a year as you knew it wouldn't be ideal for people In the current situation.
Problem is there will always be an excuse not to put up prices. We had covid 'don't put up your prices', now we've got high energy costs 'don't put up your prices'. Come a years time there will be some other reason. I've said it before there isn't a perfect time but the longer you leave it the more your business suffers with lower than you should have prices.

I've not regretted putting mine up 2 months ago. It's just good business practise. Lost a few but the ones I've still got are paying more so it's more money less work.

Mine go up next April(when the pensioners get a 10% rise)...I've not put mine up since 2020....

Some older window cleaners I know have not raised their prices for over 20 years!absolutely ridiculous!?

Put them up!?
Agree with Daz. I have been putting some of my customers up 10% to the nearest pound but I am looking to April for some more as many of mine are comfortably off pensioners.

Back