Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working when raining

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you run your business by watching the weather forecast, you'll spend a lot of time sitting at home waiting for rain to start that never shows up. 
Agreed, I learnt my lesson many years ago, as it is me and the dogs had a nice walk in light rain about 7am after we got back it just kept getting heavier now it's lashing down, diy jobs around the house today 

Agreed, I learnt my lesson many years ago, as it is me and the dogs had a nice walk in light rain about 7am after we got back it just kept getting heavier now it's lashing down, diy jobs around the house today 
I usually do my paperwork when its raining or work it in that I will have that day off. I also look at things I want to buy like a new van or equipment.

I usually do my paperwork when its raining or work it in that I will have that day off. I also look at things I want to buy like a new van or equipment.
I never plan to have a day of because of the forecast, I just get up as normal but won't fill the van the night before if it's a potential write off and it only takes 10 minutes to fill the van so no big deal if I'm running late as I usually am every day, but I will always have jobs to around the house,

I ain't working in this as it's just not fun and it's a pia messing on in the rain, it has been and is heavier than this 

View attachment PXL_20211005_090944559 (1).mp4

I never plan to have a day of because of the forecast, I just get up as normal but won't fill the van the night before if it's a potential write off and it only takes 10 minutes to fill the van so no big deal if I'm running late as I usually am every day, but I will always have jobs to around the house,

I ain't working in this as it's just not fun and it's a pia messing on in the rain, it has been and is heavier than this 

View attachment 25732
Yep too wet that is I’m done for the day I’ve been dodging it all morning forecast isn’t good this afternoon round here looks lovely tomorrow though 

Breezy with us, but dry so far.
Not too far from finishing. A single run gutter empty to do. Borderline whether to leave that for today.

If your in the south East, there’s no rain forecast for the next ten days. With temperatures ranging from 14-19C,So it’s a good chance to get on top of everything. ??

Not that long range forecasts are much good, but looks promising ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft ?e, worked till 2pm, jobs are a lot quicker when it's torrential. Only had 2 cancelled so still comfortably on schedule.
? I'm behind schedule after last week anyway so couldn't give a ?, 13c and sunny tomorrow and I'll have my shorts on not my waterproofs 

Got the jobs done around the house as well, so the wife is happy for a change ?

Doing gutter vaccing in the rain makes the job easier. I did an hour Zoom call with Checkatrade and made £60 for the pleasure. Think their customers have took a dive since Homeserve took over. Trustatrader looks like it has lost alot of customers also but it might be that internet advertising is saturated now. I like the rain because it usually makes me alot of money due to roof repairs. Don't get many roof repairs in the summer, this year especially.

Yep too wet that is I’m done for the day I’ve been dodging it all morning forecast isn’t good this afternoon round here looks lovely tomorrow though 
It faired up about 2.30pm after I'd had the dogs out again, we must have had over 6" of rain, tomorrow and the rest of the week looks good here in the North East I'll crack on a make a decent wedge in the dry, at least we get to choose when we work ?

I don,t work if it is raining as I do mostly trad. But if it is raining brickies cannot work  as  too some other outdoor professions.As for customer perception....I think they are right....you cannot do as good a job when it is raining even using wfp....rain is not pure water?

I don,t work if it is raining as I do mostly trad. But if it is raining brickies cannot work  as  too some other outdoor professions.As for customer perception....I think they are right....you cannot do as good a job when it is raining even using wfp....rain is not pure water?
Depends where you are and what you deem pure. I doubt rainwater has a TDS above 15 so won't spot.

Even if we didn't work in the rain, in the UK climate it's unlikely that it won't rain in the 6 weeks between one wash and the next. The windows don't usually have to wait long to see a bit of rain. We're in an outdoor business in the climate we have. Same as : dustmen, scaffolders, postmen etc. It's our livelihood. Our customers live in the same climate. It's not always ideal. Such is life.

Proceed unless it's very heavy or really windy as well is my preference.

We're in an outdoor business in the climate we have. Same as : dustmen, scaffolders, postmen etc. It's our livelihood
I've no doubt scaffolders knock off before us on H&S grounds and I wouldn't put us in the same class as the bin men and posties because they really do work in all weathers it was bouncing down yesterday and our postie was of course out in it as they have no choice the post looked like it had been in a puddle ?

I've no doubt scaffolders knock off before us on H&S grounds and I wouldn't put us in the same class as the bin men and posties because they really do work in all weathers it was bouncing down yesterday and our postie was of course out in it as they have no choice the post looked like it had been in a puddle ?
I don't recall ever saying I work in all weathers. Our work is outdoors in the UK climate. Our bills don't stop in less than perfect weather. Mine don't anyway. At some point common sense has to prevail as to whether to continue to work or not. Not too difficult a decision to make, surely? ?

When I was working on cross country pipelines and on water mains I had no say. I have worked in temperatures below minus 10c, in thunderstorms and in winds of storm force 10.
I work for myself now and make the decisions as I go, thankfully. ?

I was told I’d be no good as a postman.

Sorry, posted this in the wrong place ?

I don't recall ever saying I work in all weathers. Our work is outdoors in the UK climate. Our bills don't stop in less than perfect weather. Mine don't anyway. At some point common sense has to prevail as to whether to continue to work or not. Not too difficult a decision to make, surely? ?
Yes, I know you don't like getting too wet and I agree there are days when we have to crack on and ultimately days were we need to say this is just madness and go home. 

I don’t work in the rain unless I’m doing weekly shops. The reason being I don’t like getting wet. I only work 3 days a week so always have spare days to finish off. 

Back