Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2nd clean sacked off

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The world of window cleaning in general is changing (for us anyway). We have good rounds but they aren’t really growing, if they are its quite slowly, and often a case of one replacing another that has been lost for one reason or another. In terms of new custom, a lot of people will only get them done once in a blue moon & not opt for regular service (which is fine if you’re charging accordingly)
The position we would all like to be in is....e.g. Mr brown phones you up “hiya, windows haven’t been done for a while now, can you clean them please” you have a look, give a price that you can make money on, he either agrees or disagrees, if he agrees, you clean the windows, then Mr Brown says “thank you, great job” and either opts for a regular service or just says “i’ll call you again sometime” either way you’re happy and not kicking yourself because at that particular moment, you know you have come away with a decent price.
Since the trad days of one windy doing every house on the street fortnightly or monthly, things are becoming more and more call out like and or work is far from compact. many companies claim wfp window cleaning will “keep your windows cleaner for longer” which is maybe why a lot of us run 6 weekly and why more and more customers are only getting them done as and when suits them.
Any specified journey (a visit not on a local round) i often ask for £40 or £50 to make it worth it on travel time and diesel. (i dont often get it as you’ve probably guessed but sometimes i do)

Your carpet cleaner will show up, take 45 mins or an hour maybe. £60. You’ll call them maybe 2-3 times a year i guess. If you asked for a monthly service from them i’m sure they’d still say “£60 please mate” the blokes equipment could be worth what...a grand-2grand say. Not all that different from a van mounted system. And once you know what you’re doing and have had some sort of basic training, its not all that skilled.
Same as taking your car for a valet at whoever you use. My car when i had it 2-3 years ago was £35 at a place on the corner of the street, if i took it again a month down the line I’m sure it still would be the same.
Why our industry is valued so low by so many, i dont know, but id like to see it turn around in the modern age.
These are just my thoughts of course & they’re not necessarily right, many people will say otherwise. Our businesses are our own. i’m just trying to adapt to what i sense to be a new era & Its not easy.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I am targeting 3 monthly and commercial work for the reasons above. The commercial is the small independent offices and carehomes, not the large chains. Residential prices in my area have always been on the cheap and cheerful side, and there is an abundance of window cleaners. Yes there are pockets of better business, but few and far between, and in my opinion overall, in my area, they won't get better. I am not saying this is countrywide and I'm not saying I'm correct, at the end of the day I am trying to build a successful business and this is my vision of the best way to do it. Each to their own

For me yes...I'm in the same boat.also only been going a few months
This is why I charge extra for 1st cleans.
About 25%have not wanted a 2nd clean despite agreeing to a regular clean,so when I text they cancelled. Some said no longer required,others said work wasn't up to scratch although I always tell customers if any issue call me back and work will be redone free of charge.
I think it's the time of year and the fact there are a lot of customers who just want an "as and when" service I just wish they would be honest at the start as cancellations are toxic when you have Bill's to pay

Where abouts in Worcs are you mate? Do you work in Kempsey? I moved down from Brum 2 years ago and I find the ones I pick up in Worcester can be problematic. Most are great but a few decide they want to 'leave it this time' for no justifiable reason. I'm just knocking any Messers on the head from now on.

At OP, stay away from Asians. They will only cause you stress mate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We very rarely have a problem I stress when quoting that it’s a 4 weekly service if we get one job in 80 cancel that’s being generous, we do however offer one off cleans for people who are moving and charge a minimum of double the usual price ,people who have been renting are supposed to have the windows cleaned regularly so if they have lived in a property for a year or more and never had them cleaned £50-65 for a one off deep clean is good value in the long run , they don’t have any choice but to pay as they will get billed by the agency for it anyway 

On the plus side, scored a dream ad-on job this evening. 4 bed detached, Gutters cleared out, 14 panel conny roof, all windows, 75 sqm patio, 55 sqm block paved driveway. All open plan and flat ground, not a plant pot or barbeque to be seen, and i got it [emoji50] she took one look at the price and said “yep thats very fair i’ll have the lot please” how often does that happen?!

I had one of my long term regulars text me back last night saying 'We've got a new puppy and she's a real handful and have locked the side gate, we'll call you when things get back to normal.' How long do things take to get back to normal after having a puppy ffs? A puppy will be a puppy for maybe 2 years? I texted back saying ' can you not lock it in the house while I'm there?' No reply. Dumped!!!

I had one of my long term regulars text me back last night saying 'We've got a new puppy and she's a real handful and have locked the side gate, we'll call you when things get back to normal.' How long do things take to get back to normal after having a puppy ffs? A puppy will be a puppy for maybe 2 years? I texted back saying ' can you not lock it in the house while I'm there?' No reply. Dumped!!!
Winter coming it the pup will be a grown up dog come spring.

What part of Brum did you do fella?

No mate, but I used to do a lot of drinking round there in my youth though. Is the Titash still there? 

I'd try and get work in Solihull if I were you. 

Oh and KRO S.O.T.V. ?
Yeh titash still there haven't used it in years ...

Up the fecking blues tonight at Sheffield utd...kro fella

@Tuffers I think they dumped you first. ?

I had the same thing 6 years ago. "We have a new puppy so can we leave it for a bit." I've bumped into them several times since as their children go to the same local school as the grandchildren. "Ah! we must get you back to start cleaning our windows again, I need to talk to B..... and we will give you a call." "No worries, just give me a shout when you are ready."

I see B...... walking home with his now 6 year old dog having had a run on the beach. "Hi B...... How are you doing? I haven't seen you for a while, you're looking well." After a few moments of idle chat he says. "You know, we really need to get you to start cleaning our windows again. I'll have a chat to P..... and will give you a ring." Still waiting for the call. ?

But that's ok. I don't have a problem keeping a bit of banter going with ex customers. I'm even nice to the ones who 'disappeared' owing me money. They can't hide in a small town forever. Everytime I greet them nicely I get a kick out of seeing them being uncomfortable. When our paths cross they try to ignore me but I never let them get off that lightly. If they take their children to school and collect them then our paths are going to cross when I do grandfather duties on a Wednesday.

I never treat a customer who discontinued my services with contempt. Its not the quality of my work or the effort I go to to clean their windows that was the real reason, so the problem is not with me, its with them. I've even had a customer who dumped me refer me to a couple of her friends about 6 months later, so maybe that says something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertise and wait for them to call you. Never knock and ask for work it looks like begging to me, (In my humble opinion). I have cards which I give folk if they want one but dont drop them anywhere............too many windies out there working the area I am in and I know most of them now. Even in big houses you can tell if there is an issue as they take longer to pay perhaps divorce happens, thats the end of my window cleaning, death of one of the couple window cleaning ends if no cash. 

Back