Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

55ppm to RO or not to RO?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

are you for real?what absolute rubbish!DI purified water is no different to RO purified water......if your getting phone calls because he s not doing a good job its because he s a **** window cleaner!?

He isn’t doing a bad job , they are clean ish but ro does a much better job , you probebly think your golf  gtd is fast and to you it is put it up against a Ferrari and it’s a snail , it’s exactly the same with Di and ro ,ro will always give a better finish .

again petrol is a good example of this 95 octain the car will run ok but use 97 or fuel addertives like methanol etc it will run much faster 

What do you guys think RO water is polished off with? Cotton wool?

000ppm water is just that, 000ppm- regardless of the method used to get it to that state. I'm struggling with the intellect on here today! 

RO water gives more shine.. FFS I've heard it all now!

Your reply’s don’t suprise me at all as you were advocating using water to  clean windows with a tds of 26 the other day , as I said then Ime glad you don’t clean my windows 

I have to agree with the two above replies. Where did you get this fact that DI gives a **** finish Pjj? Pure is pure, DI or through an RO with DI polishing the water. Some on the other forum don't even use a DI after the RO. They're proper men on there though.

At OP, how come your water is only 055 PPM out of your tap? I thought down south especially Dorset the water was extremely hard?

Ime not saying it gives a bad finish Ime just saying that ro with Di puts a shine on the glass and frames that Di doesn’t , I remember someone explaining why it’s like that years ago but cannot remember the explanation 

Double di will not put a shine on the glass or it doesn’t on all the properties that a number of window cleaners around hear do , we get lots of calls from people not happy with there cleaners results , I have been and looked at them the windows are reasonably good he’s not doing a bad job they are clean ish but the frames and glass are dull , when we do a couple of windows for them as a demo they shine , my tds is around 90 so I could go the Di route but I didn’t beacause I know you won’t get the type of results I want to give my customers , ones who have only ever used double Di have no idear what a difference ro makes , I used cold wfp for the first 7 years thinking hot was a waist of time and money , now having had hot for the past 4 years I can see how foolish I was thinking hot wasn’t needed the difference in the clean is huge ,but until you have it you don’t realise 

What huge difference to the clean does hot water make apart from a quicker clean on a minging first clean? A clean pane of glass is a clean pane of glass. Is a window that's been cleaned trad not clean? I think we can over do this cleaning lark tbh. At the end of the day we clean the muck off the window and as H MAN would say..'that's about it."

Double di will not put a shine on the glass or it doesn’t on all the properties that a number of window cleaners around hear do , we get lots of calls from people not happy with there cleaners results , I have been and looked at them the windows are reasonably good he’s not doing a bad job they are clean ish but the frames and glass are dull , when we do a couple of windows for them as a demo they shine , my tds is around 90 so I could go the Di route but I didn’t beacause I know you won’t get the type of results I want to give my customers , ones who have only ever used double Di have no idear what a difference ro makes , I used cold wfp for the first 7 years thinking hot was a waist of time and money , now having had hot for the past 4 years I can see how foolish I was thinking hot wasn’t needed the difference in the clean is huge ,but until you have it you don’t realise 

With the greatest of respect, you are either under the influence of some mind altering substance or just plain thick!

What huge difference to the clean does hot water make apart from a quicker clean on a minging first clean? A clean pane of glass is a clean pane of glass. Is a window that's been cleaned trad not clean? I think we can over do this cleaning lark tbh. At the end of the day we clean the muck off the window and as H MAN would say..'that's about it."

Hot is much faster , cleans the frames up a lot better , plastic cleans are a doddle one pass with the brush on a hot summers day and the algy is off unlike cold when you have to keep on going over it , with hot you don’t have to use virosol, or ubik with cold you will be there a long time without them , winter time using cold the water is thicker and slower to rinse and you use more water , we are right on the coast and do a lot of really salty windows the time taken with hot greatly reduced one job we do when using cold took 1:5 hours with hot it’s 40 muinits maximum , also we get loads of seagull poo baked on the windows try getting that off with cold on a summers day takes ages especially if they have been eating fish the oil in it is difficult to remove with cold ,when you are doing this day in day out the time saving is huge despite the costs of buying and running a boiler it’s a no brainier the extra work we were able to do it paid for its self in a very short space of time , my only regret is not getting it sooner , we also do a lot of large commercial building wash downs again it’s half the time with hot .

With the greatest of respect, you are either under the influence of some mind altering substance or just plain thick!

You are entitled to your opinion , Ime only saying what I experience on a fairly regular basis , I have picked up dozens of jobs beacause of this very reason , I get a lot of calls along this line , I want my windows cleaning properly not with the garden broom can you do that ? 

I say I will clean there windows with my garden broom free of charge and walk away , I regularly do this and every single time they phone up saying why don’t my windows look like that when my window cleaner does them ?? This other guy isn’t doing a bad job the glass and frames are ok just no shine on the glass or frames , it’s not just this one guy either there are several other cleaners exactly the same I have a friend who’s double Di and he openly admits he cannot get the frames and glass to look like it does when we do them , Ime not boasting we only scrubb and rinse the same as him but still get much better results , this is why I would recomend ro with Di and not double Di , Ime not criticising anyone just sharing my experience, the op is just starting out and wanted advice that’s my advice from personal experience , I wasted thousands of pounds when I started trying this and that ,I wish that I had known about forums like this back then I would have saved a fortune , I accept it’s going to cost more and he may not be able to afford it at the moment , but I stand by what I’ve said , I have a proven track record with the work we do that’s built on 20 years of providing top quality service to the customer with both vans flat out all year so assume we are doing something right 

Hot is much faster , cleans the frames up a lot better , plastic cleans are a doddle one pass with the brush on a hot summers day and the algy is off unlike cold when you have to keep on going over it , with hot you don’t have to use virosol, or ubik with cold you will be there a long time without them , winter time using cold the water is thicker and slower to rinse and you use more water , we are right on the coast and do a lot of really salty windows the time taken with hot greatly reduced one job we do when using cold took 1:5 hours with hot it’s 40 muinits maximum , also we get loads of seagull poo baked on the windows try getting that off with cold on a summers day takes ages especially if they have been eating fish the oil in it is difficult to remove with cold ,when you are doing this day in day out the time saving is huge despite the costs of buying and running a boiler it’s a no brainier the extra work we were able to do it paid for its self in a very short space of time , my only regret is not getting it sooner , we also do a lot of large commercial building wash downs again it’s half the time with hot .

£500 for a service at grippa according to dazmond. I'll stick to cold and be slow.

£500 for a service at grippa according to dazmond. I'll stick to cold and be slow.

His doesn’t need a service , mine is 4 years old done over 8000 hours run time never been serviced, there is no servicing required it either works or it doesn’t when they start chuffing out white smoke they need a new screen and pin , I phoned several wabasto servjce  centres near me all said if it’s running ok there is nothing to service , some of these firms are just changing stuff that doesn’t need replacing for the sake of it , if I had had mine serviced every year like dazmond said price wise I would have spent somewhere around £1800 I believe , totaly unnecessary, if it goes bank tomorrow that’s fine it will cost me £450 , that’s fine I know it will need doing one day . In the grand scheme of things the cost of the boiler and running it is peanuts to what you can earn , I accept that someone starting up cannot aford it  but a well established buisness it’s a no brainier , had I realised the difference it would make I would have got one years ago but thought it was a waist of money at the time 

Can we keep things civil on this topic, yes we are all grown, men but calling people stupid and what I perceive as having a go ain't on !!

Back