Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

8mm or 5mm hose??????

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Math

Hi everyone,

i run two hose reels from my van.

1 hose reel is using 8mm hose of a shurflo pump

2 hose reel is using 5mm hose of a shurflo pump

i prefer the 5mm hose as easier to use etc

i was told though that using a 5mm hose can damage the shurflo pump

is this true from your expierence?

thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

i run two hose reels from my van.

1 hose reel is using 8mm hose of a shurflo pump

2 hose reel is using 5mm hose of a shurflo pump

i prefer the 5mm hose as easier to use etc

i was told though that using a 5mm hose can damage the shurflo pump

is this true from your expierence?

thanks in advance
As per the other comments.

In the early days of wfp we didn't have controllers. Shurflo sold a 65psi pump delivering 5.2lpm to us window cleaners.

The weakness with Shurflo pumps was, and still is to a certain extent, its pressure switch burning out. So back in the day we used 1/2" garden hose to 5mm pole hose and 3mm pencil jets.

When we were able to buy minibore and microbore hose, Shurflo realised that their pumps weren't up to using this smaller diameter hose. So windows cleaners were told that if they used smaller bore hose then they (Williamson pumps in the UK) wouldn't warranty the pumps. The pump was bulletproof, but the pressure switch wasn't.

Very soon the pump was uprated to 100psi, but nothing was said regarding the warranty issue. The problem using small bore hose was the pump cycling, which would cause the microswitch in the pressure switch to burn out.

As 1/2" garden hose was a nightmare to use, I decided to go with 100m of minibore and taking on my own warranty risk. (Pressure switches were classed as a wear and tear item and weren't subject to warranty anyway. I honestly never had an issue using minibore, a 100 psi pump and a Varistream controller.)

Williamson Pumps then introduced the Varistream flow controller, and we were instructed to 'remove' the pressure switch from the circuit. (I still have a 3.8 litre Shurflo pump in stock as a spare. It was taken out of my old van when I replaced it with a 5.2 litre pump. It is still a working pump. It was in service for 15 years before it was replaced and still has a none working pressure switch from the days before we had controllers.)

Somewhere on here is a post where I posted the amp draw comparison of my Shurflo pump with Varistream using microbore and then minibore with the same pole. The pump running the same water flow through microbore drew more current than it did when coupled to the hose reel with minibore. I would never use pole hose on my hose reel, even although there are a couple of window cleaners who do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back