Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A little chuckle for the weekend....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

People baffle me regularly....here's one from today....

I woke up this morning to a text that was sent yesterday evening......"You've been recommended to me by a friend, are you available for window cleaning?"...  Sent last night sometime between 7pm and 9pm.  I reply with the usual along the lines of "Yes no worries, are you looking for a regular clean or one off?" .  Get a reply at 8am "We're sorted now but thanks anyway".  LOL.  Not sure what to make of that.

It reminds me of one I had last year that rang me at 4pm and left a message wanting a quote.  Called back at 6pm to be told they've hired a guy.  It does make me laugh.  I know everyone wants everything instantly.  Good window Cleaners are worth waiting for!  Not sure who these guys are that can drop everything and race round to quote in under two hours!  

Have a good weekend everyone!  

For some people it does seem like an emergency window cleaning situation!!
Yeah it's funny, I try and filter calls now  with a few questions to qualify which jobs I want to get and quote asap and which can wait.  I confess in the past I've been a bit slow and lost one or two but then there are folk - particularly when it's a recommendation - who are happy to wait til your back in the area.  The exception of course being the one from today lol.

Lol I regularly go out to work in the morning come Hime at night time a load of answer phone messages ,phone them up by 18:00 and they say hadn’t Hurd from you so I have got somebody else , !!!! I say why didn’t you phone my mobile like it says in the web site if you need a rapid response, people like this arnt the type of customer I want or need . 

Lol I regularly go out to work in the morning come Hime at night time a load of answer phone messages ,phone them up by 18:00 and they say hadn’t Hurd from you so I have got somebody else , !!!! I say why didn’t you phone my mobile like it says in the web site if you need a rapid response, people like this arnt the type of customer I want or need . 
Lol.  So many messers out there, when you're established, who wants to take an hours earnings out of the day just to race and quote for Mrs Bloggs who wants them done for 50p.  I hate the "getting quotes" callers because I'm never cheapest and that's all they want.  It's not such an issue when you're starting out and got the time.....maybe its the newcomers that are getting to these "Emergency" callers! ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol.  So many messers out there, when you're established, who wants to take an hours earnings out of the day just to race and quote for Mrs Bloggs who wants them done for 50p.  I hate the "getting quotes" callers because I'm never cheapest and that's all they want.  It's not such an issue when you're starting out and got the time.....maybe its the newcomers that are getting to these "Emergency" callers! ? 

We will only quote a job during the day if it’s in the area we are working in ,I generally ask them to txt or email photos of the property saves going unless it’s a huge or potentially difficult job and if they are just shopping for quotes I haven’t waisted my time and fuel 

People baffle me regularly....here's one from today....

I woke up this morning to a text that was sent yesterday evening......"You've been recommended to me by a friend, are you available for window cleaning?"...  Sent last night sometime between 7pm and 9pm.  I reply with the usual along the lines of "Yes no worries, are you looking for a regular clean or one off?" .  Get a reply at 8am "We're sorted now but thanks anyway".  LOL.  Not sure what to make of that.

It reminds me of one I had last year that rang me at 4pm and left a message wanting a quote.  Called back at 6pm to be told they've hired a guy.  It does make me laugh.  I know everyone wants everything instantly.  Good window Cleaners are worth waiting for!  Not sure who these guys are that can drop everything and race round to quote in under two hours!  

Have a good weekend everyone!  
These are usually the ones you don’t want. People after one off cleans for a cheap a price. 

I divert all calls to answer phone where I ask them to leave their name, contact number and address. If they do that, I’ll reply.

Had one the other day at around 9.30am

We need the windows cleaning today before we move out this afternoon how much?

I replied £80 if you want it doing right now as I'm fully booked for the day.

Safe to say I had no reply lol.

Does my head in when people assume you are just waiting for their job lol.

Had one similar last year, wanted a clean before moving out in 2 weeks time, it was a good distance from me so asked her to send photos via text, email fb or WhatsApp apparently she had no clue how to do that and in less than 5 minutes of a phone conversation I got a text telling me she had found someone else 

Or the ones that get in touch for a quote for 3rd time in 6 months asking if I can clean their windows, when I've told them I don't cover were they live.

I must admit I'm quick to quote, I just think while their in that buying mind then you have a limited window before they go cold on the idea and put it off.  Usually I try and reply within 2 hours and will do the quote at the end of the day, or if they call in the evening then I tell them I'll come and quote the next day.

I need lot's of customers yet though, so might be different if I was full.

I did have one last year that I very nearly lost my rag and walked off, thankfully I just managed to bite my tongue.  Woman in her 50's moving out wanting a one off, not been cleaned in ages, town house style with a conny.  Came to quote, conny had green algae on frames and I said it will be £40, she said 'how much... I'mmmm not paying that...  I'll have you this time but I certainly won't be having you again'.  I really really wanted to speak my mind but I've learn't over the years that you never win with somebody like this, you only risk getting yourself into trouble.  I can't remember exactly what I said but it was something along the lines of 'it takes a lot of time to do this type of clean...' she wasn't having any of it though, I just said well you've got the quote give us a shout when you're ready to get them done.  Next time it happens it will be a straight 'Oh ok, no deal, we're at odds with the pricing, good luck with the move, see ya' and even if they say hang on a minute I'll just keep walking.     

I had just finished my window schedule yesterday and was on my way to do a gutter job when I had a text from a regular saying she "appreciated it was a long shot, buy could I do a one off for her daughter who was moving, but it needed doing by 3pm", she included the magic 'please' word and as it goes, her daughter lived 2 minutes up the road from the gutter job, so went and quoted and did the job there and then. I think it's pivotal to look after good customers as they will be your best advertisers via word of mouth.

As for responding to job requests, my opinion is that quick effective communication is always key to finding where the customer and yourself stand.

My two classics...

Got a call...Her- I'm looking for windie...I've just let my current windie go - he's charging too much  - I'm located here

me- Oh right I know exactly where you are - I do the shop in front of your property

me- in fact if I remember correctly, I cleaned your windows inside and out 1-2yrs ago and you asked me to stop calling

her-Oh yeah, pause...….so how much would it be?

me- i'll dig out the original quote but in the region X

her- It's crazy how much window cleaners charge. Ridiculous..

me- Ok, all the best with the search. :window-cleaner-emoticon:

Got a call - Him Gutter clearance and repair

me- for your house type min charge would be x and y for the repair

Him- yes ok that's fine, can you come today?

me- Well yes I can fit you in at the end of the day, be at yours at 5 (it was summer)

Later that day - I pull up - see a man get out of his van walk over to the address - starts talking to the chap -

me- get out knock on door

Him- sheepishly opens doors

me- Hi here to clear and repair your gutters as agreed a few hours ago

Him-Oh yeah..well this other chaps just turned up now

Me-(I am a calm person) But losing it..I turn to the other chap - when did he call you - about an hour ago 

Me- Turning to 'custy' - yes  two will turn up if you book multiple people to do the same job!

Please don't ever phone me again! :banghead3:

Got a call - Him Gutter clearance and repair

me- for your house type min charge would be x and y for the repair

Him- yes ok that's fine, can you come today?

me- Well yes I can fit you in at the end of the day, be at yours at 5 (it was summer)

Later that day - I pull up - see a man get out of his van walk over to the address - starts talking to the chap -

me- get out knock on door

Him- sheepishly opens doors

me- Hi here to clear and repair your gutters as agreed a few hours ago

Him-Oh yeah..well this other chaps just turned up now

Me-(I am a calm person) But losing it..I turn to the other chap - when did he call you - about an hour ago 

Me- Turning to 'custy' - yes  two will turn up if you book multiple people to do the same job!

Please don't ever phone me again! :banghead3:
“That’s really nice if you to hire someone to do the work for me and ensuring I have an easy last job. Here’s the invoice for the agreed price. For future reference to save yourself paying twice my advise would be just to hire one person and let them do the job, I promise I don’t mind doing the work. Anyway payment can be made by card or bank transfer.”

Back