Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A Moan About The Wind

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Happened to me only once /emoticons/biggrin.png

So I permantly fitted to my set of ladders an ankalad satbaliser (outriggers). Also use a microlight standoff that rests on the roof. Now my ladder will not blow over in gusts of wind. More importantly will not slip backwards or sideways when using it and make it safe to step on/off the ladder to access a flat roof.

Might sound a bit over the top to some but thats the way I like to work /emoticons/wink.png

Thanks Donny, to be honest I don't go on many flat roofs if I can reach from the ground with the kit I use as work manly on my own.

If I do need to go onto a flat roof for a short duration (after inspection to make sure it's safe) I make sure customers are always home and in ear shot should I need any help.

Pitched roofs I stay clear of as I have no need to access them. If needed would advise the customer get a roofing company in to do the work instead as I’m not setup or qualified to work on pitched roofing. Simples….

Good kit that, i have similar gear, dont work on me own on most roofs either!!

Indeed, but I would still recommend you get yourself a microlite standoff also an ankalad ladder stabaliser as will make jobs so much safer when using a free standing ladder /emoticons/wink.png

Could have climded down easy enough was first time clean as well ....lol

You can find good quality used on ebay too if you did not want to buy new as could save your life so worth the little investment. /emoticons/wink.png

I many use my ladder setup for roofline work repairing and clearing gutters when my guttervac kit can't be used on some jobs. Also comes in handy as can be used as a free standing ladder for conny roof cleaning work etc as can be setup so it's kept away from guttering.

Sample pic of my ladder setup and a gutter job I cleared out by hand.

Hope this help?

View attachment 1664

View attachment 1663

View attachment 1665

One more pic showing the ladder system can also reach over obstacles including pitched roofs etc.

Sorry could not be arsed to turn the pic around /emoticons/biggrin.png

View attachment 1667

Hey looks good setup nice and safe, also using gutter vac myself though only just started so not encounted any problems yet. I turned laptop screen round

Another lad recommended that kit to me a few years back so can't take all the credit.

Guttervac's do have limitations to what they can do but suppliers forget to mention that one for some reason.

When I first was looking for something to do I thought great I could clear guttering from the ground. How sadly mistaken I was as soon found out some jobs are near or impossible to do properly using a guttervac.

1. Corners for instance like the one in the pic all have flashing that no guttervac can clean the gutter out properly underneath it when is badly blocked with sods.

2. Badly blocked downspout bends most often you will find a guttervac will not clear them out properly.

3. Some jobs the guttervac will not fit in the narrow gap between the tiles and guttering. Even when using a norrow head will not clear them out properly.

Don’t get me wrong a guttervac is a handy tool but you can now see the reason why I sometimes need to use my ladder setup to get the job done properly.

I wish that every job was easy as sometimes they are a piece of cake using a guttervac like one of my jobs on Sunday - £80 for less than an hour work. Job done. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Also I say to my lady customer you cant beat a good hand job when me pole wont fit in your gap :lol:

Back