Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice i have an opportunity to buy a van with all equipment

WCF

Help Support WCF:

James102

I'm looking for a van I actually found one with everything already in it 2 poles ro Di plus 40 40 ro thing batteries 2 pumps n controllers 2 hoses 350 to 400 litre tank plus straps but the issue is it's an 2004 citroen berlingo mot till May and payload weight of 600 kg so I think it's over the payload weight it's going to cost £2700 the vans more important than the equipment would you say its worth it?

All depends on your budget and what an empty van would cost. One thing I would try and do is get the seller to put a new mot on it.
Equipment wise I would just bare in mind that the membrane might be on its last legs, same as the other kit & battery etc, but you have all pipework, connections etc so it would just be swapping 'consumables'.
Ideally you want to bolt the tank to the floor for your safety.

Second band vans are expensive at the moment like overpriced, I find age is not really the issue as much as miles and service history. We bought a 04 traffic with only 40,000 miles and full service history. 5 years later it's still running fine without any problems.

I would recommend finding out more details about the van. As for equipment I can't say anything better than @ched999uk

Second band vans are expensive at the moment like overpriced, I find age is not really the issue as much as miles and service history. We bought a 04 traffic with only 40,000 miles and full service history. 5 years later it's still running fine without any problems.

I would recommend finding out more details about the van. As for equipment I can't say anything better than @ched999uk
Well I've check the history I passed the majority and when it's failed the work has been carried out apparently the only issue is the seats are stuck and don't move forward and the central locking doesn't work its done 109,000km

All depends on your budget and what an empty van would cost. One thing I would try and do is get the seller to put a new mot on it.
Equipment wise I would just bare in mind that the membrane might be on its last legs, same as the other kit & battery etc, but you have all pipework, connections etc so it would just be swapping 'consumables'.
Ideally you want to bolt the tank to the floor for your safety.
All the filters have been replaced with new ones

You could buy a headache but it would be a good learning curve. Depends where you are in your career and how much you are making each month. You either bite the bullet or build slowly by buying an ex BG van at auction and getting a system fitted from a reputable company. This game is all about money, the more one has the easier the game becomes and the quicker the money comes in. No easy answer but knowing someone who has been in the game for decades makes the decisions far easier with guidance. Good Luck

You could buy a headache but it would be a good learning curve. Depends where you are in your career and how much you are making each month. You either bite the bullet or build slowly by buying an ex BG van at auction and getting a system fitted from a reputable company. This game is all about money, the more one has the easier the game becomes and the quicker the money comes in. No easy answer but knowing someone who has been in the game for decades makes the decisions far easier with guidance. Good Luck
Well I've been at for 8 months now I've been working out of a car it's been very good but I just feel a van would be far more convenient I've got all the basic equipment already tank pump controller pole battery hose reel I just fill up at spotless water and go out and earn but it is like 20 miles away from me wuch is pain sometimes so I thought well if this guy has it allready installed then I know it's all good to go but as people have said the equipment might be on its last legs so do I just purely invest in a van or do I go with this with the equipment already in and take a gamble

Well I've check the history I passed the majority and when it's failed the work has been carried out apparently the only issue is the seats are stuck and don't move forward and the central locking doesn't work its done 109,000km
Not bad miles for a 19 year old van, be good to know if the timing belt or chain plus auxiliary belt and water pump has been done and with paper evidence of it been done

Well I've been at for 8 months now I've been working out of a car it's been very good but I just feel a van would be far more convenient I've got all the basic equipment already tank pump controller pole battery hose reel I just fill up at spotless water and go out and earn but it is like 20 miles away from me wuch is pain sometimes so I thought well if this guy has it allready installed then I know it's all good to go but as people have said the equipment might be on its last legs so do I just purely invest in a van or do I go with this with the equipment already in and take a gamble
Its a hard decision because if you buy it and it all goes to pot then you will be so deflated that you will feel like giving up, we have all been there. If it goes well then you will quickly want a bigger van and system and have to sell the one you have bought.

Sounds like you already have spares like controller, pump, battery, hose reels etc. IF the filters have been changed you should be good (the pre filters are cheap but a 4040 could be a good chunk). If you have reasonable water pressure and can plug in at home you will save 10 mons a day not to mention the cost savings - your water bill will obviously go up.
I worked from my car with a backpack for about 6 months when I started and going to a van was so much better. I felt much more professional as well, especially when turning up to quote.
I assume you looked at mot history? Seats and central locking can be fixed with second hand stuff from ebay if you can do basic jobs.
If it's not much difference in price to an empty van I would say go for it.

Its a hard decision because if you buy it and it all goes to pot then you will be so deflated that you will feel like giving up, we have all been there. If it goes well then you will quickly want a bigger van and system and have to sell the one you have bought.
Ye that's what I'm worried about like the guy who brought it did it for a while and got sick of chasing payments advertising ect so he's switching career but I just don't know what to do for the best

Sounds like you already have spares like controller, pump, battery, hose reels etc. IF the filters have been changed you should be good (the pre filters are cheap but a 4040 could be a good chunk). If you have reasonable water pressure and can plug in at home you will save 10 mons a day not to mention the cost savings - your water bill will obviously go up.
I worked from my car with a backpack for about 6 months when I started and going to a van was so much better. I felt much more professional as well, especially when turning up to quote.
I assume you looked at mot history? Seats and central locking can be fixed with second hand stuff from ebay if you can do basic jobs.
If it's not much difference in price to an empty van I would say go for it.
Ye I've checked it's mot all the work has been carried out when it has failed its mot till May so i dunno apparently window cleaningbjust ain't for him so he's changing career it's just ibdont want to spink £2700 and it all go to **** van failing equipment failing ect massive gamble

Let's be honest vans are overpriced at the minute but it's a 19 year old van. It should be worth £500. Me personally I'd avoid it
It most likely won't even be worth that, my 64-plate combo with 75k on the clock the price a dealership offered me was £1,500 that's no doubt the book price, but unfortunately, these days if you need an older 2nd hand van you'll get stung and it's just the way it is

My friend was looking for a van recently. I honestly can't believe the prices dealers and private owners are selling them for. Like double the price for when I bought a van 5 years ago
Also, you get people on FB commenting on posts saying they are a bargain :ROFLMAO: how can a battered old van with 100k on the clock which is around 16 years old be a bargain at 4k, my wife got banned off a FB page for pointing out in posts that vans were vastly overpriced she thinks that one van for sale was been sold by a a mate of the admin all my comments got deleted so I left :ROFLMAO:

Of course, it's easy to be more judging if you can afford a newer van which I found sold at the price they should be.

Just had a look on autotrader at Berlingos and the prices do vary quite a lot. Dealers start from £1K but you have the benefit of a warranty - I believe under sale of goods act it's 6 months no matter what the dealer says!
At £2700 with faults (seats, central locking etc) although it has kit you don't need most of it. So it's a bit over priced plus not many people looking to buy a windy van this time of year. Maybe make him a silly offer like £1700, then you have saved £1000 to cover issues that may arise? Worst case he says no.

Latest Posts

Back