Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice i have an opportunity to buy a van with all equipment

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just had a look on autotrader at Berlingos and the prices do vary quite a lot. Dealers start from £1K but you have the benefit of a warranty - I believe under sale of goods act it's 6 months no matter what the dealer says!
At £2700 with faults (seats, central locking etc) although it has kit you don't need most of it. So it's a bit over priced plus not many people looking to buy a windy van this time of year. Maybe make him a silly offer like £1700, then you have saved £1000 to cover issues that may arise? Worst case he says no.
Ye i do believ its overpriced tbh like I think I might just wait for the right one because realistically all I need is just a 400 litre tank

Having a full service history is important. MOT reports do give you a good idea how a van has been cared for. It's also important to have a good look underneath for rust and/or any botch repair jobs.

An older van will need a replacement cam belt done if it hasn't been done recently, and the clutch could possibly be well-worn. The exhaust is another point to check.

I thought old van prices were going to drop by a good chunk because of sadiq kahns ulez charges and maybe loads coming onto the market, but doesnt seem so. Im sticking with my old connect though I do keep thinking surely the clutch and gearbox etc are gonna pack in soon. Not bad though, 120k on the clock now. I do drive it with care too and am sure ive helped preserve it somewhat.

Just had a look on autotrader at Berlingos and the prices do vary quite a lot. Dealers start from £1K but you have the benefit of a warranty - I believe under sale of goods act it's 6 months no matter what the dealer says!
At £2700 with faults (seats, central locking etc) although it has kit you don't need most of it. So it's a bit over priced plus not many people looking to buy a windy van this time of year. Maybe make him a silly offer like £1700, then you have saved £1000 to cover issues that may arise? Worst case he says no.
Tried offering £1800 he said he won't go lower than £2500 central locking or locks don't work at all plus indicator is loose apparently

Tried offering £1800 he said he won't go lower than £2500 central locking or locks don't work at all plus indicator is loose apparently
Way over priced then. You want something reliable and to not bother fixing so many minor things suggests they haven't really looked after it. Not worth the risk unless its very cheap. I would say keep searching, you might get lucky coming into winter as some may sell up once the cold temps arrive.

Way over priced then. You want something reliable and to not bother fixing so many minor things suggests they haven't really looked after it. Not worth the risk unless its very cheap. I would say keep searching, you might get lucky coming into winter as some may sell up once the cold temps arrive.
Cheers mate

You're between a rock and a hard place which I get, you want a van as it will be so much easier for you, but if he can't sort out things like the indicator and locks what else hasn't he bothered with?

A little insight here last year my wife was adamant she wanted rid of her car which was pristine with low mileage because she wanted a micro camper she was obsessed with looking and I said no to everyone she found for a variety of reasons one big factor was the price, she found one about a year ago and I wasn't happy the day we went to look at it I told her not to buy it because some glaringly obvious stuff like basic maintenance on certain parts of the van hadn't been done like rust spots and things, fast forward around 10 months and we've spent almost 2k on it all wear and tear things that will never need doing again like bushes and lower arms timing belt etc. because if no record of that has been done then you have to do it, plus we had brakes and tyres to do ?

If you don't have the money to do potential repairs then you need to walk away and save up some more money for a better van, vans are been sold for far more than they are really worth but the prices are coming down and so are the number of chancers trying to sell their vans at over-inflated prices a good one will come along just be patient and a DIY system can very easily be installed on a budget.

Swerve it mate the van already sounds like a can of worms, if it ends up off the road it’s gonna cost more money to fix and you’ll lose money/working time getting it sorted even if it’s just getting it home from where it’s broke or getting it to a garage, you already have the gear to get you going bar a tank that can be picked up for £150 today & the price of an RO that you can add on in a couple of weeks time,
might be worth waiting for the right van to come along they are about but you might need to up your budget a bit more to get above the scrapper bracket
the only extras you’ll want on an old £2500 van is a pack of paracetamol for the headaches that come with it

Swerve it mate the van already sounds like a can of worms, if it ends up off the road it’s gonna cost more money to fix and you’ll lose money/working time getting it sorted even if it’s just getting it home from where it’s broke or getting it to a garage, you already have the gear to get you going bar a tank that can be picked up for £150 today & the price of an RO that you can add on in a couple of weeks time,
might be worth waiting for the right van to come along they are about but you might need to up your budget a bit more to get above the scrapper bracket
the only extras you’ll want on an old £2500 van is a pack of paracetamol for the headaches that come with it
Ye cheers mate thanks

Latest Posts

Back