Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can i put a 400 litre tank in a van with max payload of 600 kg

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The biggest problem with overloading is the vehicle body is sitting on the axles, making it uncomfortable over bumps. Put extra strength springs in the vehicle.
See Link: Reinforced coil springs

I didn't read it like that ? defo don't want to overload a van, upgrade the springs by all means if it's close to the max payload nothing wrong with that but defo never overload any vehicle because the springs the uprated springs won't save anything else going wrong and potentially someone having a fatal accident
Says it all

He posted the biggest problem with overloading is the vehicle body sitting on the axles and then puts a link in to upgrade the springs so it doesn't look overloaded.
Ahh gotcha, just when you quoted my reply as well, I wasn't sure.

Some years ago a work mate of a mate of mine decided to overload his car with bags of gravel because he didn't want to do two journeys 2 days later he told my mate that his car hadn't driven as normal since he'd got the gravel,

My mate said he was crazy for overloading and to take his car to the garage after work, needless to say it needed repairs and the mechanic told him he could have end up in an accident driving his car in the condition it was in, I can't remember what issues were but they weren't good

I think you are fine to proceed.
The biggest problem with overloading is the vehicle body is sitting on the axles, making it uncomfortable over bumps. Put extra strength springs in the vehicle.
See Link: Reinforced coil springs
Get the tank in the van - get out window cleaning - gather up some funds and then upgrade the van if you need at a later date.
The water level will decrease throughout the day as you clean so after 4 houses you will be 150kg-200kg less heavy.
There will be more wear and tear on the clutch but take it easy and you will be fine.
We sell water to other window cleaning companies and most of the vans are way overloaded when they leave the yard.
We have a Ford Transit Custom as one of our vans and we put extra strength spring leafs in the back as it is loaded heavy going out each day.- amazing good difference. See Portlaois Springs Ireland.
Must have the flow on 1000 to lose 150-200 litre of water after 4 houses ?

I can’t believe Base you are saying it’s ok? No way what about if a accident happens something breaks or puncture because he is over weight total disregard for other road users the law is for a reason SAFETY
It's only 85kg overweight at the start of the day : ) Will be bang on the payload after 2-3 houses.
Or put a 325Litre tank in the van - you'll still need the springs upgraded if you are doing it day in day out.
My opinion is 'get out there and get working' and upgrade your set-up over time.
When i started years ago - I had a 325 Litre tank and it killed me when i did not have enought water to do all the jobs. Later find out the tank only really held 250 litres!

Last edited:
It's only 85kg overweight at the start of the day : ) Will be bang on the payload after 2-3 houses.
Or put a 325Litre tank in the van - you'll still need the springs upgraded if you are doing it day in day out.
My opinion is 'get out there and get working' and upgrade your set-up over time.
When i started years ago - I had a 325 Litre tank and it killed me when i did not have enought water to do all the jobs. Later find out the tank only really held 250 litres!
You won’t need the springs up rating if you run up to the max payload every day that’s what the vehicle is designed to carry . Our vans are up to the limit but ride level and have never had suspension issues or had to replaced anything except shock absorbers and we do a lot of off road driving down dirt tracks and farm lanes

300l tank (max) in a 600kg payload van.mine is 936kg payload and I'm just under the weight limit with 500L full tank,diesel hot water system,PF electric reel,poles,ladders,etc and me(I weigh 120kg!).

I use a fiat fiorino, same as the peugeot bipper, 350l tank, 2 poles battery and reel, I probably put 300l in at a time and seems fine doesn't sink on rear axle, advertised payload is 610kg.
Hi,

Just wondering how many hours you would get out of 300l. I'm currently cleaning traditionally but I'm getting tired now, 18 years of ladders and getting busier each passing year.
I have a Courier, which has 640kg payload I believe.

Thanks for any info

Hi,

Just wondering how many hours you would get out of 300l. I'm currently cleaning traditionally but I'm getting tired now, 18 years of ladders and getting busier each passing year.
I have a Courier, which has 640kg payload I believe.

Thanks for any info
Hi , I get about 5 to 6 hrs , I keep a di vessel with me as I have a lot of friends who let me top up if I need to, I'm Currently on the look out for a bigger van though.

Hi , I get about 5 to 6 hrs , I keep a di vessel with me as I have a lot of friends who let me top up if I need to, I'm Currently on the look out for a bigger van though.
Thanks for the info. I would have to use a filling station as I can't make pure at home. I would like a tank big enough to last a couple of days, so probably a 500l would do that. Looks like 1000kg payload is needed at least.

Back