Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

advice on gutter vac

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It is very rare to trip their electrics. I just tell them don't hoover, turn on dryer, kettle while I am clearing the gutter.
Yeah but the one time you do could be super embarrassing. Would a breaker plug actually work with it?

To be fair I've just cleared my own gutter with pro tools on the end of a trad pole, couldn't get my current vac inside the gutter. Managed to break a bit of gutter off in the process, just in time for Dennis to arrive.

If it trips out just unplug your vac and get the customer to flick the switch back on and make sure they turn off whatever has caused the it to trip. It wont be your vac if you stagger start up.

I bet some of these vacs must've sucked up the debris trap/gutter ball things at the top of down pipes before. Spose if you see it when you empty the vac, you're kind of obliged to get up a ladder and replace it? They're a cheap ingenious item for helping stop the downpipe get blocked but if hoovering from the ground might not see it?

If you did suck it out it would be easy to put back just put it place with the pole and disconnect the suction hose. It will drop back into place.

I bet some of these vacs must've sucked up the debris trap/gutter ball things at the top of down pipes before. Spose if you see it when you empty the vac, you're kind of obliged to get up a ladder and replace it? They're a cheap ingenious item for helping stop the downpipe get blocked but if hoovering from the ground might not see it?

It would probably get stuck in the u bend at top of pole. Went to see a gutter job after my PW job because it was 20 miles from there or I wouldn't have went. Took 30mins over country to get there and the gutters were full. I realise how these folk must feel getting anything done construction wise because no one really wants to travel to the middle of nowhere just to see it let a lone do it.

In my experience you’d be doing them a favour removing it. Stupid things just clog up anyway. I always factor in a quick trip up the ladder to check the down pipe anyway. I bought a ladder m8rix recently for this kind of thing.

In my experience you’d be doing them a favour removing it. Stupid things just clog up anyway. I always factor in a quick trip up the ladder to check the down pipe anyway. I bought a ladder m8rix recently for this kind of thing.
I dunno, I hand cleared a bungalow customers gutters a while back, full of moss but the gutter ball thing had at least stopped the bits blocking the down pipe. With my limited skill and equipment a blocked down pipe is a no go. 

I dunno, I hand cleared a bungalow customers gutters a while back, full of moss but the gutter ball thing had at least stopped the bits blocking the down pipe. With my limited skill and equipment a blocked down pipe is a no go. 
As long as it’s not been screwed together they’re really simple. If you can build Lego you can take apart and put back together a down pipe

As long as it’s not been screwed together they’re really simple. If you can build Lego you can take apart and put back together a down pipe
 yeh i'll try one sometime. I guess depending how stuck up they are you could blast it clear with water? or drain clearer pipe or something? 

Aye, the hard part is not getting wet! I still get wet after years of trying not too. ?
 Ha yeh. i did my first upstairs gutter clear today, by hand, no scraper etc. got moss/etc in every pocket, down my top, even a bit in my backy. Right all, Hazel on channel talking pictures, a great bit of late 70s tv. catcha all laters

I bottled it on the Sky Vac and bought a Numatic with side entry. It's the same as Grippa sell. Gonna use my current carbon poles for now. There was a post somewhere about DIY gutter vacs, its the one where Scottish made his wheelie bin effort. Anyone know where to find it, I've had a look and can't see it anywhere. I want to get a different head an tools for the new vac.

I bought a Spinaclean Carbon Fibre Rigid Neck for the top of my carbon poles. What a difference its like day and night because it doesn't clog up. Did a gutter clear this morning and it took me 30mins with my £200 maxblaster because the gutters were soaking. Makes a big difference clearing in the rain.

I have a Grippatank vac as well as the skyvac it’s ok for smaller jobs good suction ideal on houses . 
I think I was aiming high with the sky vac but realistically I don't need it. I only do a few gutters a month and even with an uplift it just wouldn't have paid for itself. I inadvertently came across Grippa's supplier during my search. They no longer sell them to the public as they can't modify them to side entry. They tried to send me to Grippa but at their prices I might as well buy a SkyVac

I bought a Spinaclean Carbon Fibre Rigid Neck for the top of my carbon poles. What a difference its like day and night because it doesn't clog up. Did a gutter clear this morning and it took me 30mins with my £200 maxblaster because the gutters were soaking. Makes a big difference clearing in the rain.
I did one this morning too. Stupid roof tiles were too close to the gutter and I couldn't get the nozzle in so had to do them by hand. I'll have to change my tools with the new vac too.

Back