Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on pricing please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You are just starting out and you will learn from both the positive and negative things that happen , being crystal clear with customers what is being done and what isn’t is a very important issue , I had a woman ask to just have the front gutter vacced out I said that the whole house needed doing , she said only want the front doing , so did just the front for £35 as she was a good customer but our normal price would have been £65 for the lot , a couple of weeks later she phones saying there are weeds growing in the back gutters , I said I did tell you the whole house needed doing but you said just do the front , she said di the back as well so we di the back and I bill her for another £35 she refused to pay saying Ime not paying as I have already paid , I said no I charged you half price as we only did the front , so you owe me £35 for  back she went nuts and never did lay needless to say she is an ex customer ???m so the lesson I learned from this is we will only do the whole building not just the front or back , there can be no issues if it’s all done , we are now the same for any job like plastic cleans we either do the whole building or we don’t  take the job on 
Had a similar thing years ago, asked for back f.s.g only to be cleaned as it was the worst, are you sure it's just the back you want doing I say, oh yes, so I slotted it in with the next window clean, husband came out as I turned up, are cleaning the back guttering today? , so did the job and payment was via GC within 45 minutes I had a phone call complaining I had only cleaned the back guttering ?

All jobs quoted from then are written down in some form, whether on paper or if it's online contact of some form, then there is no comebacks for any job

All jobs quoted from then are written down in some form, whether on paper or if it's online contact of some form, then there is no comebacks for any job

That's the reason I do all my communication with texts. I can always revert back to them if there is any hassle but I like the idea of whole house and will adopt that format. There is a lot of old folk who forget what they have told you. I had one who wanted their gutter cleaned. I made it quite clear that is was a clean and not a clear. Hours later she asked what I was doing because it was the inside of gutter she wanted cleaned out because the pvc was't really dirty. Lesson learnt. 

What a feeling that must be to have got to where you are now well done, hopefully one day I could be working for myself full time, it hard finding the work

Starting out is hard work and takes time and effort , but worth it in the long run we have been going over 20 years now so we’ll known in the area work comes to us rather than us looking for it , once you get a few regular customers  they will recommend you to family and friends and you will find it will snowball quite quickly , that’s what happened to me , to be fair we live in a part of the country where there is a shortage of good window cleaners so you should be able to pick up customers very easily , we are now turning down 90% of enquires as we are so busy , Ime really only interested in the big commercial and big houses theses days we have more than enough estate types of properties .

That's the difference between established guys and ones newer to it all.

I have enough work that if I didn't get it at my price I don't want it.

Nothing wrong with quoting lower if you need the work and good luck but as you know Chris once your full up you quote what you actually want from the job.
Your right mate. Nobody seems to want to go through the tough times of lower priced stuff though. This isnt monopoly. Sometimes you cant skip a stage until you've built some kind of presence locally then good ££ comes easier 

Starting out is hard work and takes time and effort , but worth it in the long run we have been going over 20 years now so we’ll known in the area work comes to us rather than us looking for it , once you get a few regular customers  they will recommend you to family and friends and you will find it will snowball quite quickly , that’s what happened to me , to be fair we live in a part of the country where there is a shortage of good window cleaners so you should be able to pick up customers very easily , we are now turning down 90% of enquires as we are so busy , Ime really only interested in the big commercial and big houses theses days we have more than enough estate types of properties .
I think the shortage of good window cleaners is national but agree in what you say. There is an awful lot of splash and dash still out there who dont seem to understand the concept of wfp and how to eliminate risks of runs etc

Your right mate. Nobody seems to want to go through the tough times of lower priced stuff though. This isnt monopoly. Sometimes you cant skip a stage until you've built some kind of presence locally then good ££ comes easier 

I think the shortage of good window cleaners is national but agree in what you say. There is an awful lot of splash and dash still out there who dont seem to understand the concept of wfp and how to eliminate risks of runs etc

Would you say I have done a good job on these I have done today

20200131_223006.jpg

20200125_184020.jpg

Would you say I have done a good job on these I have done today

View attachment 19127

View attachment 19128

Yes looks good ?? what are you using di water or ro di water ? Did  you use any chemicals or just the cold water ?.. if you wanted to come out with us any time to see how we work you are welcome , jobs looking good , it’s just a case of practise and different techniques for different types of window ,looks like an ex council house or military property . 

Yes looks good ?? what are you using di water or ro di water ? Did  you use any chemicals or just the cold water ?.. if you wanted to come out with us any time to see how we work you are welcome , jobs looking good , it’s just a case of practise and different techniques for different types of window ,looks like an ex council house or military property . 
I use di water no chemicals, I would love to come out with you 1 day and see how you do it, what's your business name? I want to know everything I can so I can be successful, I haven't had a day off for 4 weeks as I have been sub contracting in the week and windows on weekends, thursday and friday I did windows for myself but I want to build it up enough that I can work full time. I find I'm really slow atm, is everyone super slow when starting?

Just using cold water to do those types of jobs will be very slow, a quick application of TFR, Virisol etc would probably cut the time in half. Even established WFP's speed up on jobs, I doubt anyone doesn't find quicker ways to do jobs, especially new ones. 
Do I put TFR in with the pure water?

No, you can use any other degreasers, have a search on here. Basically dilute the chosen one to circa 10% and apply. The established, those with a decent budget, would apply using a backpack, skinflints and newbies usually mix it in the bucket and dip the brush in the bucket. Scrub after applying then scrub and rinse off. Best to wet the surface first, customers tap water if you can and don't let it dry as some can stain if you allow them to. The triple window and gutters would take 10 minutes to do with this method rather than probably 30 with yours. It will also save you a lot of pure. 

I use di water no chemicals, I would love to come out with you 1 day and see how you do it, what's your business name? I want to know everything I can so I can be successful, I haven't had a day off for 4 weeks as I have been sub contracting in the week and windows on weekends, thursday and friday I did windows for myself but I want to build it up enough that I can work full time. I find I'm really slow atm, is everyone super slow when starting?

lol yes speed comes with practice, I will pm you details 

Initially we were informed he was to clean all the PVC and when I saw the after pictures he had cleaned the bad one very well but hadn't cleaned the other 2 very well. The OP then said the customer only wanted the bad PVC doing, something I didn't know when I posted my original comment. 
cheers, only wanted to try and see what you could and i couldn't.....just starting out myself, but luckily i'm not reliant on it at the moment so i have time to learn etc without the fear of ruining someones upvc ?

hiya mate,

those windows and sfg look great.  I would be more than happy if I did them or even if I was a paying customer.

I only recently started window cleaning and I much the same as you find I take an absolute age in cleaning them.

a victorian terrace with approx 6-9 windows and 2 doors takes me in the region of 1.5 hours, all first cleans and maybe between 60-75 litres of pure.  I haven't used any chemicals as yet but with all the feedback I have seen on this forum might start using virasol or the like soon to see how much difference it makes in time.

keep on, it looks as though you are doing a grand job.

cheers, only wanted to try and see what you could and i couldn't.....just starting out myself, but luckily i'm not reliant on it at the moment so i have time to learn etc without the fear of ruining someones upvc ?
Doing it is the best way to learn, just post the pictures and people will advise you their preferred method. All you have to do is pick the one that you think is best and crack on.

That's what I thought you meant. 3 hours max so your price sounds good..based on hourly rate and what you would probably do on windows etc. 

Your right about day rate dave but the higher you price the less likely you are to get it. Not to say its unattainable but just usually becomes less likely.

Depends on how much the poster wants the job I guess and how quiet he is. 
I quoted for a 12ft x 12ft conservatory in South East London - Lots of algae/green stuff on glass mostly on pvc...Conserve hadnt been cleaned for ages (around 2.5/3 years)...I quoted £80 for o/side conserve + £30 for all of house!.Those clients think thats Too Expensive!??‍♂️...If you guys quoted your prices,i reckon theyd die!.

i had a nice,elderly customer asking me would i clean his conny roof yesterday...ive cleaned his windows for many years....its only a small pitched polycarbon roof,no access issues but its filthy!i still thought id give him a good price seen as though he s been a good customer over the years......£50 including outside gutters.....he nearly died!no way was he paying that!.....i told him its not a 5 min job.....he said he s going to clean it himself.......?..... errr...ok!then!good luck with it!.......the finials were really bad...these are what takes the time up....i would of had it cleaned to a good standard in an hour....

i had a nice,elderly customer asking me would i clean his conny roof yesterday...ive cleaned his windows for many years....its only a small pitched polycarbon roof,no access issues but its filthy!i still thought id give him a good price seen as though he s been a good customer over the years......£50 including outside gutters.....he nearly died!no way was he paying that!.....i told him its not a 5 min job.....he said he s going to clean it himself.......?..... errr...ok!then!good luck with it!.......the finials were really bad...these are what takes the time up....i would of had it cleaned to a good standard in an hour....
I can believe that mate..What part of the country are you in fella ?.

I quoted for a house in a Private Park yesterday..gotta be £3Mill maybe more..not overly Big...

She wanted the house plus Conserv cleaned...£26 apparently was a previous quote?!...You cant run a business on fresh air!.These particular type of clients take the ****!.?...Sorry for the four letter word?‍♂️...These people take us for mugs!...I dont know how these guys on here manage £200 upwards on a quote ??..But good luck to 'em.

Latest Posts

Back