Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am i doing something wrong?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

zippy

Just got the Face lift 425 RO/DI system and started filling it up this morning. The amount of water im sending down the drain is concerning in terms of cost and the tiny drip im having come through means ill be lucky if it fills anything by the evening. Am i doing something wrong? this is my first time doing this.

Just got the Face lift 425 RO/DI system and started filling it up this morning. The amount of water im sending down the drain is concerning in terms of cost and the tiny drip im having come through means ill be lucky if it fills anything by the evening. Am i doing something wrong? this is my first time doing this.
Yes, there should be a gate valve and a pressure gauge fitted, turn this gate valve in small increments to get roughly 60% waste going down the drain and 40% pure going into your tank, I do it just by mystery eye nothing technical.

The other thing to consider if your tap pressure if it's below the requirements for the membrane production so you'll have only get a trickle.

You can get a water pressure test gauge from Screwfix to attach to your garden tap, also I'd ring window cleaning warehouse or Facelift and exactly what membrane they have supplied you and what the operating pressure needs to be for the membrane, as you may need a booster pump otherwise it could take 7hrs and more to fill your tank with pure.

Yes, there should be a gate valve and a pressure gauge fitted, turn this gate valve in small increments to get roughly 60% waste going down the drain and 40% pure going into your tank, I do it just by mystery eye nothing technical.

The other thing to consider if your tap pressure if it's below the requirements for the membrane production so you'll have only get a trickle.

You can get a water pressure test gauge from Screwfix to attach to your garden tap, also I'd ring window cleaning warehouse or Facelift and exactly what membrane they have supplied you and what the operating pressure needs to be for the membrane, as you may need a booster pump otherwise it could take 7hrs and more to fill your tank with pure.
Hi, thanks for replying. so the wait time i dont mind its just the sheer amount im sending down the drain. your saying turn the waste value half way? what if i turned it off all the way would that still work?

What Iron Giant said is spot on

The 425 RO system uses a 4021 a Spectrum High FLow - Low Energy Membrane technical data is linked below

If you need further support call our customer support team

Attachments

• SPECTRUM-WW.pdf
    890 KB
Hi, thanks for replying. so the wait time i dont mind its just the sheer amount im sending down the drain. your saying turn the waste value half way? what if i turned it off all the way would that still work?
I don't know if facelift drill a hole in the gate valve so to be safe NEVER fully close it. You will probably be getting close to closing it to get 60% waste 40% pure. If you can direct the 2 outputs into 2 jugs and time the output so the waste jug is filling a bit faster then the pure. You will probably have to find the sweet spot of lowish waste and lowish pure tds but always ensure you have at least 50% waste, try for 60% if you can.

I don't know if facelift drill a hole in the gate valve so to be safe NEVER fully close it. You will probably be getting close to closing it to get 60% waste 40% pure. If you can direct the 2 outputs into 2 jugs and time the output so the waste jug is filling a bit faster then the pure. You will probably have to find the sweet spot of lowish waste and lowish pure tds but always ensure you have at least 50% waste, try for 60% if you can.
Thanks i was abit worried to close it completely so i did it a little and the pure water drip is certainly coming out quicker now. ive been on hold for 20mins with Window cleaning warehouse and was told they would phone me back....... the waste water has slowed right down aswell so Iron giant was right. wish id done that this morning could of been almost filled by now and saved alot of water.

im very concerned what my water bill will be after over 4 hours or flowing water down a drain. Any ideas how much they sting you for water in the UK?

Nope don't close it fully you might have to get it to around 95% closed or a tad more.

Going off the specifications @Gwen - WCW has put up you need the pressure reading on the pressure gauge to read 92 psi if it's quite a bit below this then you'll have to buy a booster pump and all the appropriate fittings required to get it set up.

A booster pump can sometimes double the production, but you'll have have to do the calculations and make sure you don't flood your van

Nope don't close it fully you might have to get it to around 95% closed or a tad more.

Going off the specifications @Gwen - WCW has put up you need the pressure reading on the pressure gauge to read 92 psi if it's quite a bit below this then you'll have to buy a booster pump and all the appropriate fittings required to get it set up.

A booster pump can sometimes double the production, but you'll have have to do the calculations and make sure you don't flood your van
Thanks everyone so much, hopefully i can get it working abit better. I think my tank has a auto shut off if it fills to high. it has the little ball float thing like toilets do so im guessing when water hits that and raises it up the water cuts off. then again that wouldnt turn off my garden tap. what happens to the water tap if its not going anywhere? im guessing nothing.

Ive just read this on the Window cleaning warehouse website. i really wish it gave me a manual to start with so i knew this.

For normal usage, keep the waste valve closed, however the FaceLift Zero system will need flushing regularly to prolong the life of the consumable components. Over time contaminants will build up on the membrane, by repeating the flush process (opening the waste valve) for 15-20 minute intervals 2-3 times a week, you can increase the life of the components significantly. If you find your water production decreases over time, a 2 hour flush is recommended.

Does this seem right to everyone else?

Get to measuring jugs and play with the gate valve so you get 60%waste to 40%pure coming out before you got the ro you really needed to no how fast your tap flow is hopefully your flow is good and okay for the ro membrane you have 🤞

Thanks everyone so much, hopefully i can get it working abit better. I think my tank has a auto shut off if it fills to high. it has the little ball float thing like toilets do so im guessing when water hits that and raises it up the water cuts off. then again that wouldnt turn off my garden tap. what happens to the water tap if its not going anywhere? im guessing nothing.
No idea about this as I fill into a static tank and the tap is turned off, but my common sense tells me the pressure will back up and a Hozelock connection may blow off.
Ive just read this on the Window cleaning warehouse website. i really wish it gave me a manual to start with so i knew this.

For normal usage, keep the waste valve closed, however the FaceLift Zero system will need flushing regularly to prolong the life of the consumable components. Over time contaminants will build up on the membrane, by repeating the flush process (opening the waste valve) for 15-20 minute intervals 2-3 times a week, you can increase the life of the components significantly. If you find your water production decreases over time, a 2 hour flush is recommended.

Does this seem right to everyone else?
Flushing depends on your tap tds and the level of **** in your water basically some people need to flush more regularly than others, as for closing the valve fully it's not something I'd recommend, get yourself to the shop today and buy two plastic jugs and get the ratio correct for pure and waste, the waste output should fill the jug just a bit quicker than the pure like about 10-15 seconds faster if you run a timer.

Also, buy https://www.toolstation.com/mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/p75711?store=D3&gad_source=1 to test how much pressure you are getting from your tap, this is really important as is the above, these are the two basic things you need to know and get right to optimise your production.

Then we will be able to help you further as required (y)

Thanks i was abit worried to close it completely so i did it a little and the pure water drip is certainly coming out quicker now. ive been on hold for 20mins with Window cleaning warehouse and was told they would phone me back....... the waste water has slowed right down aswell so Iron giant was right. wish id done that this morning could of been almost filled by now and saved alot of water.

im very concerned what my water bill will be after over 4 hours or flowing water down a drain. Any ideas how much they sting you for water in the UK?
Don't worry about that. It's a learning curve. Had you read the posts on here before, you would have learnt how to set your r/o up.
Producing your own pure water is going to be cheaper than buying it in from Spotless.

All of our WCW RO DI systems are fitted with a float valve to stop the vans from being flooded. The Pure Freedom RO DI systems are fitted with an electronic system that shuts off the fill once the tank is full.

Once the system is full its best to turn off the tap that is filling it to avoid extra stress to the hozelock / series 26 coupling

We do drill holes in the ball valves on the waste on the WCW RO DI Systems. So you can fully shut the waste valve when filling and not worry about blowing your membrane

I have passed this information over to our media team about how an owners manual is wanted for these systems

Many years ago @Gwen - WCW Purefreedom put out a Youtube video on how to assemble and setup a small (300gpd ??) r/o. The process is the same with a bigger r/o.

P/F always drilled a hole in their gate valves which have a pure to waste ratio of 3 to 1.
I've found that with an hf5 Axeon membrane and 50psi water pressure, my most efficient setting is around 55% waste to 45% pure. So the hole you drill in your gate valve is too big to get down to that ratio.

Back