Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another water meter question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A.K WINDOWS

Ok fellas , anyone know what id be looking at to make 2500L of pure a week , got anew place and its on a meter :poop: am I right in thinking it would be around £5 per day to make up 1000L?

Im in West Yorkshire .

Cheers

Look at what your water board charge you for a cubic meter?

I believe it’s normally around £3 -£4 .

going on that it would be roughly £15 -£20 for 2500 litres of pure using 5000 litres of water on a 50/50 ratio of pure to waste.
This is a very rough cost as I don’t know your set up or cost.

I have a 4040 , carbon and sediment filter ,finish off at DI

prices are shown like this

WaterCharge per cubic metre used
Yorkshire (excluding York Waterworks)160.81p
York Waterworks91.09p

SewerageCharge per cubic metre used
Foul charge178.79p
Highway drainage charge*17.90p
Total sewerage charge (foul + highway drainage)196.69p

Yours is £4.58 per 1,000 litres that leaves the tap. Out of that 1000 litres your ro will produce a certain amount of pure and a certain amount of waste. If it's operating at 50/50 then that means you will get 500 litres of pure, the other 500 litres will go down the drain. You will be charged £4.58 for 500 litres of pure produced. This assumes that it's running 50% pure / 50% waste.

I'm on a water meter and it averages out about £45 a month.

That's on Northumbrian Water Rates. About £2.42 per 1000 litres raw water. Using about 18000 raw a month (so 9000 roughly pure per month so making about 2000 litres pure a week.) Those rates were couple years old but will adjust in new tax year.

I have a 4040 , carbon and sediment filter ,finish off at DI

prices are shown like this

WaterCharge per cubic metre used
Yorkshire (excluding York Waterworks)160.81p
York Waterworks91.09p

SewerageCharge per cubic metre used
Foul charge178.79p
Highway drainage charge*17.90p
Total sewerage charge (foul + highway drainage)196.69p
Gosh Yorkshire water is a fair bit more expensive than NWL! ? Still cheaper than spotless though....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-194032.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127-194032.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
Yeah mental init , according to Yorkshire water we was all at home making more cups of tea during Covid so they put the price up ?

I’ve had a meter in my last 2 houses.Honestly it’s peanuts compared to Spotless and for what it makes you.

I ‘ve just had a bill and I’m sure it’s for six months use and it’s not a lot considering how much I use.

Thanks I was worried about asking them , due to if they decide to put me on a business rate ? thanks again
I'm guessing that it will depend upon the company I know that @Pjj has a sub meter but lives in a different part of the country to you but I don't know if he is on business rates at his home.

No buissiness rate my water authority know what I do and just charge me for the water for the vans
I wasn't sure at all and no doubt different companies could well have different approaches to this unless they can't charge business rates on registered residential properties ?

I know it works out cheaper to make your own, but one thing I do like now I have to buy it in, is that every bit of the water cost is counted as an expense, rather than just a percentage. I still miss making my own though, was better overall.

I wasn't sure at all and no doubt different companies could well have different approaches to this unless they can't charge business rates on registered residential properties ?
No idea , been like this since 2004 when I went WFP they are quite happy with what ime doing and are fully aware it’s business use and have never suggested commercial rates , in fact I think commercial rates might be cheaper per cubic meter than what ime paying , I have customers that are farmers and they pay half what ime paying .

If you only have 1 meter I'm not sure they can charge you 'commercial rates' as some of your water will be used for domestic purposes and therefore subject to the lower rate of 5% vat.
When we had holiday apartments we used to live on site, they could only charge us domestic costs for gas, electricity and water plus 5% vat, the bills where in the apartments name so we were not trying to hide anything.

You could ask them anonymously via email, that way you decide which way to go.

If you only have 1 meter I'm not sure they can charge you 'commercial rates' as some of your water will be used for domestic purposes and therefore subject to the lower rate of 5% vat.
When we had holiday apartments we used to live on site, they could only charge us domestic costs for gas, electricity and water plus 5% vat, the bills where in the apartments name so we were not trying to hide anything.

You could ask them anonymously via email, that way you decide which way to go.
I have a main meter in the road and a sub meter in the house that records the water used for the vans they deduct the water reading from the sub meter from the main meter so I only pay fir the water on the sub meter and pay fir the water and sewerage charge on what’s left from the main meter if that makes sense

I have a main meter in the road and a sub meter in the house that records the water used for the vans they deduct the water reading from the sub meter from the main meter so I only pay fir the water on the sub meter and pay fir the water and sewerage charge on what’s left from the main meter if that makes sense
Sorry to jump on this but as it’s a recent post.. I’ve just asked my waste water company about having a sub meter to reduce my waste water bill (we pay 2 different companies, Southern and Icosa) and they are saying there is no further reduction entitlement as the water I use off site will ultimately end up in the ground/sewer. Are the reductions you are getting off the waste water costs or do I need to ask for a reduction from the fresh water provider?

Sorry to jump on this but as it’s a recent post.. I’ve just asked my waste water company about having a sub meter to reduce my waste water bill (we pay 2 different companies, Southern and Icosa) and they are saying there is no further reduction entitlement as the water I use off site will ultimately end up in the ground/sewer. Are the reductions you are getting off the waste water costs or do I need to ask for a reduction from the fresh water provider?
The reduction in cost I get is taken off the sewage charge I only pay for the water ,as the waist water DOESN'T GO IN TO ANY DRAIN , it goes on the garden so as it’s not going into the drains the water company don’t have to process it so there is no charge . My supplier is south west water other providers maybe different. My waist is viewed the same as rain water going on land , when I had the sub meter fitted the water company came and checked that I had soak aways off the roof water no idea what that had to do with anything they wanted to see how I was filling the vans and were happy with it been like this since 2004 .

Back