Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out - Water Purification

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Steelyfern

Hi all,

Been scourging these forums pretty much every day for last week to gain as much info as possible to help with starting out. Iv used the search as much as I can and apologies if repeating anything common, still learning the lingo so may not be using the right search terms.

Will be purchasing the Pure Freedom Nano Trolly, Gardiner or X Line pole/brush and then some traditional cleaning materials as thinking of doing the bottoms of houses trad to conserve water initially whilst working from my car. Will be keeping my main employment currently and looking to work weekends.

The main part I'm looking to clarify and make sure my understanding is correct is around water purification, would the UNGER HydroPower® Ultra be enough on its own to filter water or do I also need a static R/O system? I'm thinking my water TDS will dictate this and have ordered a TDS meter so I can check. would be good to get feedback and make sure my understanding is correct before I either buy more than I need or not enough?

Appreciate any help/advice

Wait till you get your tds meter. As a basic rule of thumb, tds below about 70 then resin will be fine (Unger Hydro is just expensive resin vessel and expensive top up resin bags). Over 70tds and you will be better off using an RO.
In my opinion go for Gardiner pole and try and avoid trading the bottom but do learn to trad if you want to do indoors or shops.

Wait till you get your tds meter. As a basic rule of thumb, tds below about 70 then resin will be fine (Unger Hydro is just expensive resin vessel and expensive top up resin bags). Over 70tds and you will be better off using an RO.
In my opinion go for Gardiner pole and try and avoid trading the bottom but do learn to trad if you want to do indoors or shops.
Appreciate the feedback, will probably be ordering my pole and trolly tomorrow. Just need to decide on the 22 or 25ft slx

I would recommend a Gardiner SLX27 @Steelyfern . I used an SLX22 for about 9 years and struggled to reach these new terraced house's main bedroom window in the loft space. I would always have to get my 40' pole out for those. Now I can reach that window with my SLX27 and hardly ever use my SLX40 now.

You might even consider buying water from Spotless Water if there is a unit near you. Yes, it's cheaper purifying your own water, but it's a way to get started.

If you do find window cleaning is for you, then you can decide whether it's worth purifying your own water or not. As @ched999uk advises, it's all about what the tds of your tap water is and if you are on a water meter or not.

BTW, we hope you have ordered a tds meter from a window cleaning supplier such as Daqua, etc. and not a cheap copy from Joe Bloggs off Ebay.

I would recommend a Gardiner SLX27 @Steelyfern . I used an SLX22 for about 9 years and struggled to reach these new terraced house's main bedroom window in the loft space. I would always have to get my 40' pole out for those. Now I can reach that window with my SLX27 and hardly ever use my SLX40 now.

You might even consider buying water from Spotless Water if there is a unit near you. Yes, it's cheaper purifying your own water, but it's a way to get started.

If you do find window cleaning is for you, then you can decide whether it's worth purifying your own water or not. As @ched999uk advises, it's all about what the tds of your tap water is and if you are on a water meter or not.

BTW, we hope you have ordered a tds meter from a window cleaning supplier such as Daqua, etc. and not a cheap copy from Joe Bloggs off Ebay.
Appreciate the advice @spruce,

the challenge I have initially with pole size is that ill be working from my Car. Its a Tiguan so not small but just need to make sure it can fit comfortably. Also my initial target area will be the new build estate I am living on which iv been here for over a year, had 1 clean the entire time I have been here and no one has been back since either to clean or canvass. I work from home also and know the rest of my street is the same and from walking around there are a lot of windows that look like they have not been done for a few months at the least(those that look cleaner id say its the owners doing the ground floor only). Strange because it is a huge estate already and would say its maybe not even half complete. Based on that I was thinking initially a 25ft would do the job and get an extension later down the line as needed.

There is a spotless water actually around 25 minutes drive away which whilst long term a bit far distance wise could work whilst I'm building and doing weekends only.

I ordered the handheld TDS from Window cleaning warehouse which seem reputable from everything I have seen on here so hopefully will do the job I need it to

Appreciate the advice @spruce,

the challenge I have initially with pole size is that ill be working from my Car. Its a Tiguan so not small but just need to make sure it can fit comfortably. Also my initial target area will be the new build estate I am living on which iv been here for over a year, had 1 clean the entire time I have been here and no one has been back since either to clean or canvass. I work from home also and know the rest of my street is the same and from walking around there are a lot of windows that look like they have not been done for a few months at the least(those that look cleaner id say its the owners doing the ground floor only). Strange because it is a huge estate already and would say its maybe not even half complete. Based on that I was thinking initially a 25ft would do the job and get an extension later down the line as needed.

There is a spotless water actually around 25 minutes drive away which whilst long term a bit far distance wise could work whilst I'm building and doing weekends only.

I ordered the handheld TDS from Window cleaning warehouse which seem reputable from everything I have seen on here so hopefully will do the job I need it to
Best of luck with this sounds like you could definitely pick up some work on the new build estate.
I have a couple new build areas around me I intend to hit those canvassing next week. All the best.

I use a SLX27 as my main pole and one of the reasons I bought it was that it's collapsed length is shorter than the SLX25! I started out using my car (Honda Civic) and it fitted fine.

I use a SLX27 as my main pole and one of the reasons I bought it was that it's collapsed length is shorter than the SLX25! I started out using my car (Honda Civic) and it fitted fine.
That’s really useful, naively just assumed the 27 would be longer and didn’t actually compare! That changes things for sure

Latest Posts

Back