Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anybody else hate the summer?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’ll be honest I’ve struggled the last week weeks. I even sacked off a day today and moved it to next week. I do think it’s the heat, I’m not built for it, lol! Trying not to complain cause when I’m not working it’s cracking, but it does slow me down!

On hot days I find a short blast of pure water in the face after each job is helpful!! Highly recommend it!! Though can look a bit mental to onlookers!!! 

I love the heat.  You guys must be crazy.  Winter carries in forever in the this country.  So it can get a bit hot to work by 2. I just start on bottom windows around 7 and move upstairs at 8. (This works when you have a lot of fronts close together  albeit)

Over £100 done by 10. I'll  guarantee I'm in the beer garden by 2 or taking my kids out somewhere nice after school. 

Hell we could be stuck in an office 

Summer in always enjoying. But the problem is hot around the environment. The temperature is above 35 degree in the daytime. But if there is rain outside then it goes to lower. 

No I love it. It won't be long till it's dark by 3:30 and freezing outside. 

I've you don't like summer your not going to enjoy next week...
yeh its handy for people with lot of commercial, they can possibly get earlier than usual starts in and get the bulk of the work done before midday. is tricky with domestic, some are at work, but lots of elderly and some are early risers but a lot also lie in enjoying their retirement (dont blame em)

I don't turn up to domestic jobs until 8.30am and the 3 commercial jobs are easily done in the dark 2 shop fronts and a small office and 4pm is generally is when I head home sometimes sooner, but not much later, I prefer to keep my workload and work days balanced throughout the year so I ain't struggling with shorter days in the winter,

life is all about a good balance, now I am off to walk the dog and see my mate the one eyed horse, some sado's will working no doubt ?

I don't turn up to domestic jobs until 8.30am and the 3 commercial jobs are easily done in the dark 2 shop fronts and a small office and 4pm is generally is when I head home sometimes sooner, but not much later, I prefer to keep my workload and work days balanced throughout the year so I ain't struggling with shorter days in the winter,

life is all about a good balance, now I am off to walk the dog and see my mate the one eyed horse, some sado's will working no doubt ?
Yes, gotta have a good bit of leisure time. Makes their day, the dogs having their walk. poor horse with one eye. My eyesight has been getting worse lately, can see fine, just need glasses for reading small print.

Yes, gotta have a good bit of leisure time. Makes their day, the dogs having their walk. poor horse with one eye. My eyesight has been getting worse lately, can see fine, just need glasses for reading small print.
The horse is fine, just don't get on his wrong side otherwise he kicks out sideways ? people and dogs have been kicked in the past, but some people have no sense, he doesn't trust many people I think the owner and my wife and I and that's it, we go in the field without issue and our dog is fine off the lead with the horses as they have got so used to him over the years,he  will even pinch a carrot out of the Shetland pony's mouth  she ain't fast enough in eating it.

I've have worn glasses for about 26 years now, but in recent years my eyesight has improved, which is good as I am always mislaying my glasses and have about 6 pairs 

The horse is fine, just don't get on his wrong side otherwise he kicks out sideways ? people and dogs have been kicked in the past, but some people have no sense, he doesn't trust many people I think the owner and my wife and I and that's it, we go in the field without issue and our dog is fine off the lead with the horses as they have got so used to him over the years,he  will even pinch a carrot out of the Shetland pony's mouth  she ain't fast enough in eating it.

I've have worn glasses for about 26 years now, but in recent years my eyesight has improved, which is good as I am always mislaying my glasses and have about 6 pairs 

yeh it can be dodgy. When we first moved to the countryside i'd never seen a live cow. Me and cousins went wondering around in a field of them and got stampeded. they had calves as I remember. We shinned it up these apple trees and had to wait ages before they got bored and let us go.

yeh it can be dodgy. When we first moved to the countryside i'd never seen a live cow. Me and cousins went wondering around in a field of them and got stampeded. they had calves as I remember. We shinned it up these apple trees and had to wait ages before they got bored and let us go.
Townies ?, I am Born & Bred country boy love walking through fields and meadows might sound sad but I am fairly knowledgeable and can name wild flowers and birds and love been with all animals even if I am butchering them, below are old photos of my boy and the horses, some of the best things really are free

DSCN7810.JPG

Resized_20180308_141712.jpeg

16 degrees and overcast are my ideal window cleaning conditions. I hate the 30 degree days! That's when I work until about 12 and then take the afternoon off.

What I did do a while back, was ask each customer what would be the earliest time possible to clean? A few said anything from 6am onwards, so these get cleaned first on the hot days, allowing me to start early. I don't like to start residential cleaning before 8am otherwise, unless doing an initial clean.

16 degrees and overcast are my ideal window cleaning conditions. I hate the 30 degree days! That's when I work until about 12 and then take the afternoon off.

What I did do a while back, was ask each customer what would be the earliest time possible to clean? A few said anything from 6am onwards, so these get cleaned first on the hot days, allowing me to start early. I don't like to start residential cleaning before 8am otherwise, unless doing an initial clean.

That's great. Carry on!

Townies ?, I am Born & Bred country boy love walking through fields and meadows might sound sad but I am fairly knowledgeable and can name wild flowers and birds and love been with all animals even if I am butchering them, below are old photos of my boy and the horses, some of the best things really are free

View attachment 17150

View attachment 17151

Yeh now ive been in the sticks a while I wouldnt like to live back in a city size place. I feel sorry for a lot of kids in ghetto areas. Not too bad woodbridge, 9 or so pubs etc and countryside around, Ipswich up the road for other things. Still go to north east london to see family but always glad to get back to the sticks nowdays, just less stress and traffic. here I can go out on a push bike and go miles down lanes where theres rarely a car. see some great wildlife.

@ks789 sounds a bit like were I live small town surrounded by countryside best of both without being too big, people keep asking me to travel further a field but the fact that I would encounter more traffic and it would be a hassle I just say no.

Any way back on the subject summer ain't that bad I got a decent tip yesterday, just it had to sit in the back of the van all day from 11am when it was 32c, thankfully it's rained this morning and is overcast. 

20190723_180334.jpg

Funny you say that, my missus was an avid bookworm until the birth of our son. Once he came along books were suddenly useless tat that had zero importance. Within a few months she found her glasses needed replacing, went to the opticians to have her eyes tested who found that her sight had actually improved a bit. It hasn't got any better since - IE it's stabilised at present - but her sight isn't quite as bad as it was and more importantly it's stopped getting any worse. She openly admits that she thinks her bad sight was caused by too much book reading and up close TV watching in her younger years.

Thinking about it logically the more you focus on something up close, the more your eyes look inward. Give it time that might be causing the lens on the front of the eye to distort. I have a computer addiction myself but the monitor is always 2-3 feet away (changes with desks) so my eyes haven't really got too bad. I do struggle with small text but only in low light. During normal day light i'm fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Townies ?, I am Born & Bred country boy love walking through fields and meadows

Yeh now ive been in the sticks a while I wouldnt like to live back in a city size place. I feel sorry for a lot of kids in ghetto areas. 

I've lived in the sticks and towns. My view is slightly different in that as a kid (up to 10) I lived in a town, then we moved out to a country area and life became boring for me. Moved back to a town a decade later but had lost contact with friends etc. Now i live on the outskirts of a town where we got a mix of country and town life and having a car makes life easier but like you fellas, I'd hate to be cooped up in a tiny flat surrounded by concrete. Yeah sure it might be easier if you're central for getting to local shops etc but... no... just no!

I've lived in the sticks and towns. My view is slightly different in that as a kid (up to 10) I lived in a town, then we moved out to a country area and life became boring for me. Moved back to a town a decade later but had lost contact with friends etc. Now i live on the outskirts of a town where we got a mix of country and town life and having a car makes life easier but like you fellas, I'd hate to be cooped up in a tiny flat surrounded by concrete. Yeah sure it might be easier if you're central for getting to local shops etc but... no... just no!

Also it can be a mare stuck in the traffic. sometimes it can take an hour to go 5 miles or worse. Thing is though, more and more areas getting concreted over, what limit will there be to it? I know our lifetime prob be ok but I wonder what the population will be in england by 2100. 

Back