Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anybody else hate the summer?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just worked 8 till 1.30. It had got to about 33 degrees and I was starting to feel a little bit light headed and getting clumsy....not good when using a ladder. Still felt guilty driving home, particularly when seeing other people still working....daft, I know.

two years ago on a day just like this I walked passed a drive way with guys raking tarmac....!  thay did not look happy, got to be the worst job to do in a heat wave, heat pounding you from below and above.   

I bumped in to another window cleaner on my way to the beach yesterday he said he’d packed it in for a few days as well. Everything drying too quick and generally just too hot. I’m getting back on it tomorrow its gonna cool down to around 21/22 which to me is bearable

I just worked 8 till 1.30. It had got to about 33 degrees and I was starting to feel a little bit light headed and getting clumsy....not good when using a ladder. Still felt guilty driving home, particularly when seeing other people still working....daft, I know.
 I wouldnt feel bad mate. Ive only done monday. Seriously cant hack it when its so bad. Mind you, I aint got a full book so catching ups easy.

two years ago on a day just like this I walked passed a drive way with guys raking tarmac....!  thay did not look happy, got to be the worst job to do in a heat wave, heat pounding you from below and above.   
Yeh and kitchen staff, hideous mate. done a stretch in one for a short while.

I bumped in to another window cleaner on my way to the beach yesterday he said he’d packed it in for a few days as well. Everything drying too quick and generally just too hot. I’m getting back on it tomorrow its gonna cool down to around 21/22 which to me is bearable
I was hoping to do tomorrow but now they reckon will still be 29 odd over my way, guess we gotta expect this really. 

I worked, on and off, for over 10 years melting aluminium scrap in furnaces. The melting point of which is circa 700 degrees, tad higher then a bit of tar.

coal mining as well, must get stifling down there in the few that might still be open.
They’re all shut mate no coal coming out of this country any more

i used to love watching the coal trains go up & down the line, guessing how many coal carts there would be, until they became fewer and fewer, now there are none. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re all shut mate no coal coming out of this country any more

i used to love watching the coal trains go up & down the line, guessing how many coal carts there would be, until they became fewer and fewer, now there are none. 
Sad to hear, though a tough life im sure it was a heck of a blow to communities that lost them. Same with the steelworks and others. Always changing aint it? still cant see that mythical promised age of leisure where we all have all we need and dont need to work. Would think window cleaning will be around a long while yet, but computers and robots will be taking a lot of work.

Sad to hear, though a tough life im sure it was a heck of a blow to communities that lost them. Same with the steelworks and others. Always changing aint it? still cant see that mythical promised age of leisure where we all have all we need and dont need to work. Would think window cleaning will be around a long while yet, but computers and robots will be taking a lot of work.
South Wales valleys are a prime example. Dozens of ghost towns have been left behind in a bygone age. Not a lot of opportunity up there they all commute to cardiff & thats if theyre lucky enough to have work, a lot dont. Same with the rural communities, mechanization means there’s now far less labor needed for the farms. Rural welsh communities are dying out, as is the language. The houses are often being bought by well off english folk so the language is doomed in some areas. in my grandfathers generation his local community were all distant family, cousins, aunties, uncles etc, all welsh speakers.Its sad to see. If youre born out there now you’ve got very limited options of employment really, most either join the armed forces or move to the highly populated areas.

look at it both ways though i guess. Farming was hard going for my gramps, he grew up without mains water, wasnt connected to the gas grid, he was working outside of school hours from a very young age, looking after cows, collecting water, etc etc. he doesnt moan about it mind, think he quite enjoyed it. So many men including young kids were killed down the mines as well it was just mass exploitation of the poor by rich mine bosses really. 

i wouldn’t worry about robots i can hardly see a computer restoring a window frame or sill any time soon. The main threat is industry saturation i think. Too many big companies downsizing, laying off, moving factories elsewhere etc. the workers all have a come up with an answer and window cleaning is one of them 

Last edited by a moderator:
coal mining as well, must get stifling down there in the few that might still be open.

I live in and I am surrounded by ex coal mining villages. All gone now have been for quite some time. When Thatcher died my local workingmens club had a MASSIVE party singing the witch is dead song from Wizard of Oz lol. Looks like the steel industry is going the same way. Really sad to see as I also have friends in that industry too ? 

I absolutely hate that when I pack work in for whatever reason like the rain...go out somewhere and see other window cleaners still working. Really pi***s me off lol.

I absolutely hate that when I pack work in for whatever reason like the rain...go out somewhere and see other window cleaners still working. Really pi***s me off lol.

That'll be me then, I've worked out in the rain in previous jobs and it doesn't worry me much. Freezing cold gets to me more than the rain but I do have a very thick hi vis coat which is incredibly warm.

Back