Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone buy stocks or shares?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Did you get into vaxart ? I’m up 16 grand on it at the minute ! 
16 Grand Dont forget your stop loss, lock in your Profits 

Nearly doubled in 3 days and still rating as a buy and strong buy going to $20.00

Well done 

I Missed this one   

Last edited by a moderator:
Just doing a brief research into it, it would appear that the price puts it at just over $1 billion.  The moderna vaccine is estimated to give the company $11 billion.  Given that vaxart is still in clinical trials and there are other vaccines out there that will come to market faster I'd say it's a gamble to hold.  If you're 16k up I'd seriously look at cashing out, at least half of it.
Believe me everything is pointing to this as the holy grail to end it all. Every vaccine at present requires cold chain distribution. The WHO is ready to fund the second wave vaccines for developing countries and a vaxart member tweeted the other day about it being great to see the covax team. The tweet was then deleted 

Believe me everything is pointing to this as the holy grail to end it all. Every vaccine at present requires cold chain distribution. The WHO is ready to fund the second wave vaccines for developing countries and a vaxart member tweeted the other day about it being great to see the covax team. The tweet was then deleted 
If you look at the global infection rate, the 7 day average peaked on 11th January at 745,000 cases per day, it's been falling very fast ever since.  It's now at 524,000 cases per day [7 day average].  So in 3 weeks the global cases have dropped around 30% and the downward trend looks solid, no upward trends just a straight line going down.  Like yesterday it was 394,000, it's always lower on a Monday but today looks like it will be around 400,000 again.  The point being that if this trend continues, then in 4 weeks the virus might be nearly gone.  It sounds ridiculous but look at the graph.  If it dramatically reduces the cases then their will be no need for vaccines.  

Given that vaxart seem to be looking at cashing in on covid19 and the potential maximum return being around 10 billion dollars, well the share price now values it at 2 billion dollars.  Just seems too hyped up to me.  The price is rising but it's the herd of sheep that's causing it, like the reddit group with Gamestop, there is not enough substance behind the price going as high as it is, anything more and it looks overpriced.  Then there is the potential that the virus will be gone in a month with loads of other vaccines already in the market.

It's your money but I've seen things like this before, only you can decide if 20k is a lot for you, or if holding and getting potentially unknown amounts is more worth it.  If it was me I'd take the 20k and then reinvest 1k in 20 different high risk companies in the hope that just 2 repeat what vaxart has done then your quids in, more and your laughing.  

Eggs and baskets, always remember ? 

If you look at the global infection rate, the 7 day average peaked on 11th January at 745,000 cases per day, it's been falling very fast ever since.  It's now at 524,000 cases per day [7 day average].  So in 3 weeks the global cases have dropped around 30% and the downward trend looks solid, no upward trends just a straight line going down.  Like yesterday it was 394,000, it's always lower on a Monday but today looks like it will be around 400,000 again.  The point being that if this trend continues, then in 4 weeks the virus might be nearly gone.  It sounds ridiculous but look at the graph.  If it dramatically reduces the cases then their will be no need for vaccines.  

Given that vaxart seem to be looking at cashing in on covid19 and the potential maximum return being around 10 billion dollars, well the share price now values it at 2 billion dollars.  Just seems too hyped up to me.  The price is rising but it's the herd of sheep that's causing it, like the reddit group with Gamestop, there is not enough substance behind the price going as high as it is, anything more and it looks overpriced.  Then there is the potential that the virus will be gone in a month with loads of other vaccines already in the market.

It's your money but I've seen things like this before, only you can decide if 20k is a lot for you, or if holding and getting potentially unknown amounts is more worth it.  If it was me I'd take the 20k and then reinvest 1k in 20 different high risk companies in the hope that just 2 repeat what vaxart has done then your quids in, more and your laughing.  

Eggs and baskets, always remember ? 
They have other things in play that’s the thing. COVID is here for years, 41k up now, If it hits $35 I’m considering selling. That will be my debts paid and basically my mortgage!

At the start of the first lockdown I put £20k into a stocks and shares ISSA. I use the Hargreaves Lansdowne platform. Working on the basis that the world still runs on gas and oil and thinking this lockdown nonsense will be over in a few weeks I took a gamble on BP as their share price had dropped from over £6 per share to just over £2 but was on its way back and had climbed to just over £3. It then turned back around and started heading back to £2, recently made its way back to £3 and then turned again and is heading back down again.

Unless you have inside information it's all about your best guess, circumstances beyond your control and luck.

Unless you have inside information it's all about your best guess, circumstances beyond your control and luck.
Safest shares are the Utilities and Supermarkets I believe but as you say its a gamble. I believe all banks are bankrupt or will be when they try and get their money back from loans they gave out. Woman in RBS many years ago said we gave out a big loan to a building company building social housing. I thought they won't be in trouble with the big contract and they were doing well and expanding. Last year they went bust on the Friday and started back up on the Monday with no debt, many companies are using the pandemic to clear out their debt and there is no humiliation because so many are doing it.

Safest shares are the Utilities and Supermarkets I believe but as you say its a gamble. I believe all banks are bankrupt or will be when they try and get their money back from loans they gave out. Woman in RBS many years ago said we gave out a big loan to a building company building social housing. I thought they won't be in trouble with the big contract and they were doing well and expanding. Last year they went bust on the Friday and started back up on the Monday with no debt, many companies are using the pandemic to clear out their debt and there is no humiliation because so many are doing it.
Yeah, been going on for years businesses doing that, it's legalised crime really, morally frowned upon but all legal.  Think they call it doing a 'phoenix'.

Thing is with the banks though, I don't think they will ever be allowed to go bust.  They've been bailed out in the past so I think that shows that we cannot live without the banks so whatever happens they will be protected.

They have other things in play that’s the thing. COVID is here for years, 41k up now, If it hits $35 I’m considering selling. That will be my debts paid and basically my mortgage!
Good luck to you, just be careful you're not getting sucked in.  Like you've got 41k now, if it was sat in your bank account would you buy 41k of the stock today as it is now?  That's the way to look at it.

Sorry if it sounds patronising, just don't want to see the price go down and you lose it.  The hardest part is knowing when to take the money, trying to predict the peak is near impossible.

I was looking at other medical stocks last night, they're all very volatile but a lot have made very big gains over the last year.  Novavax were at $6 this time last year, they're now at $264.  Even if it's just hype it looks worth gambling on the hype at returns like that.

I tend to not get involved with buying company shares, the volatility is just too high, although it's not a leveraged investment which is good in the sense that you can't owe more than what you put in. 

I tend to buy and sell commodities, coffee, orange juice, saffron, precious metals, oil. Did it via CFD's for quite a while, which is fun you can make money when it goes up and down at the same time. It's risky though as sometimes it's very highly leveraged, so these days I kick CFD's out and go for physical assets either on contract or owned directly.

But the key thing I have realised is that the main thing any invester  should do is have high diversification. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing with shares is you will never buy at the bottom and will never sell at the top...

Set a stop loss of say 20% and get out come what may and when sitting on a decent profit get out and leave some for the next man.

Man AMC has been hot hard i'm down 50% now, but will hold regardless now. worse case once the Cinema opens up again i should at least get my money back.

Vaxart up to 23 then down to 9. Are you still holding. Like has been said, it's hard to know when to buy and even harder to know when to sell.

If i wasn't locked into AMC i'd seriously consider VXRT I just don't see Covid just going away as much as i'd love that to happen right now.

Vaxart up to 23 then down to 9. Are you still holding. Like has been said, it's hard to know when to buy and even harder to know when to sell.
Before you buy it's best to set a price that you will buy and a price that you will sell and don't deviate from it.

There is a feeling that if you don't sell at the peak or very near it then you have somehow missed out / failed.  It's this reason that the majority of people end up losing money.  The winners are the ones that make a plan and are comfortable selling at a profit and not wishing that they had held the stock and sold at the peak.  Anybody who sells right at the peak has just got lucky.  The ones who profit over the longer term will not be trying to sell at the peak.

I drip feed money into Investment trusts each month. That way I am not buying at the wrong price...i.e at the top !!!!  Its called " pound cost averaging ". Has really worked for me...look it up

Investment trusts, invest in other companies, many you will know and sometimes you can buy the investment trusts at a discount to their asset value and many pay good dividends also..

I'm expecting lower stock prices this year but high stock prices 2022/23 and then a major panic. fwiw
Apparently its all due to collapse. Stocks, shares, The dollar etc. The great reset as they call it might be forced upon us. Id only feel secure if i had my own place, paid for, or almost all paid for, and at least a small bit of land for food purposes. Not meaning to be a doom merchant, but i reckon people will be surprised just how bad things might get. not just through covid, but that certainly hasn't helped. Half expecting it, then your prepared and it wont be such a mental shock. (obviously hoping for the best though) On that note, im logging  off now to have a few cans ?

Man AMC has been hot hard i'm down 50% now, but will hold regardless now. worse case once the Cinema opens up again i should at least get my money back.

If i wasn't locked into AMC i'd seriously consider VXRT I just don't see Covid just going away as much as i'd love that to happen right now.
Got my money back ? got absolutely ****** because I can’t trade in the pre market. I’ve finally just got over what I could of had. I’ll take that as 1 hell of a learning curve

nobody would have ever changed my mind in cashing out before the results so that makes me feel better 

Back