Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone used Ionics?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HamishMcdoodle

Hi all, I’ve recently had a van system installed by Ionics. I’ve used it for 3 months and thought the noise of what sounds like water pouring out of a bucket was a noise the system made, just to get used to. It turns out that the noise was water pouring from the back, underneath the footwell of the front of the van. My three month old van (from factory) now is waterlogged everywhere. I only noticed because when i parked downhill my feet got wet after a while.
All the sound proofing material that sits between the users and the road is all water logged. It’s a right state.

I’m not sure where to go from here and whether anyone else has had anything happen of a similar nature?

The van has been coated in the back by Ionics as well. I thought this feature was supposed to keep any leaks from coming through to the front? Anyway a £10k system from Ionics shouldn’t really leak either way.

I’ve not spoke to them yet as I would rather go in prepared.

Cheers lads.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi all, I’ve recently had a van system installed by Ionics. I’ve used it for 3 months and thought the noise of what sounds like water pouring out of a bucket was a noise the system made, just to get used to. It turns out that the noise was water pouring from the back, underneath the footwell of the front of the van. My three month old van (from factory) now is waterlogged everywhere. I only noticed because when i parked downhill my feet got wet after a while.
All the sound proofing material that sits between the users and the road is all water logged. It’s a right state.

I’m not sure where to go from here and whether anyone else has had anything happen of a similar nature?

The van has been coated in the back by Ionics as well. I thought this feature was supposed to keep any leaks from coming through to the front? Anyway a £10k system from Ionics shouldn’t really leak either way.

Cheers lads.
Depending on the timeline from completion of installation to now or any warranty period they offer you may be powerless

If you experienced this fault from the get go you should of called them straight away to explain the sound of water and had it rectified with immediate affect.

No van installation system from any of the big WFP suppliers makes that sound.
Did you not try and search for the mysterious water sound any earlier?

1, Contact them with a polite demeanour and tell them there's a problem

2, if they are unable to rectify the issue or offer any compensation you then you will be needing to try the trading standards consumer protection route

3, they will have liability insurance, should of quality controlled the installation upon completion before releasing the van to you the customer so negligence on their part comes into play as equally and respectively as yours for not knowing any better

I don't intend to sound rude but I wouldn't waste anymore time in gaining opinions from an Internet trade forum and get the wheels in motion now and get this resolved

Sounds like they didn’t do a check before they let van out there work shop ide be fuming and kick off big time as the flors will stink when it drys out 😡

Cheers lads.
Play hard ball with them 8am Monday morning. You may have to replace all the wet sound proofing. 10k is an awful lot to pay for a system. Ionics are renowned for taking your eye's out.

Play hard ball with them 8am Monday morning. You may have to replace all the wet sound proofing. 10k is an awful lot to pay for a system. Ionics are renowned for taking your eye's out.
Not necessarily. Ionics are by no means the cheapest but £10k is pretty easy to hit now a days. Between the filters, reels, waterproofing and possibly heater if he went hot water. Also, doesn’t say if he brought extras like poles. It can all quickly add up

EDIT: Hopped onto WCW builder and managed to spend £10k very easily. And it’s not even a crash tested system!

IMG_2904.png

Point taken. Ive always built my own systems. Obviously made mistakes when first changed over to pure water but over the years I've learned a lot and know everything now inside out.

whatever you do dont take down your post especially if they threaten you .Things need to be sorted and hopefully they get onto it right away . Over the years iv heard they can get nasty re bad publicity

If you have any issues and you paid by credit card refer it to them - they will fight on your behalf and take back the money

One of the biggest problems with 'car derived' vans @HamishMcdoodle is that the load bed is higher than the footwells. The floor protection coating they spray on is just what it says it does; it adds another layer of protection to the van's floor against damage. It doesn't act as a waterproof seal.

Car derived vans (Citroën Berlingo, Ford Transit Connect, etc.) are basically people carriers with the rear seats removed and then covered with a plate. The passenger footwells are left as they are part of the floorpan.

My son's first van was a Peugeot Partner, and his footwells were wet due to me forgetting to switch the transfer pump off in time and over filled his tank. When he replaced that with an equivalent Berlingo van, I fibred glassed a tub so any spilt water could only exit the van via the back doors. (I fibre-glassed the floor and a couple of inches up the sides. I stuck a piece of wood on the floor by the side loading door and fibre-glassed over that to complete the tub.)

The only way forward is to find the leak problem and then remove the carpets, so the carpet under felt/sound deadening can dry out. You need to do this asap. There could be cable connectors under the carpets such as airbag connectors which shouldn't get wet as corrosion will set in. Sorry.

Carpets in a work van!
I have had 3 ionic systems in the last 16 years, I have never had water in the cab EVER!. 3 Renult traffics, no problem with any of them.And let me tell you I have had some leaks. Tell me a van that carries water that hasn't. I would be very surprised if this situation was down to Ionics. If it is, then do not worry they will sort it out. So many window cleaners bad mouth them but truth is, ALL THE OTHERS ARE FAR WORSE.
One night a lid blew of one of the filters water at full tap pressure hitting the inside roof of van for God knows how long. Imagine the amount of water that had spilled out..it came out of the side van door onto the driveway. Yes some damage to a toolbox of tools a few spanners ect and my radio was wrote off. This has only happened once though. The point is if floor of van was waterproofed by Ionics I would be very surprised that water could get into the cab. One last thing, I have had my issues with Ionics more in the early days none in the last 10 years. Yes their equipment is expensive BUT, it will last 15/20 years. This I know as my first system is still working 16yeats later in Cornwall.This with its 3rd owner. So £20,000 for a hot water system that is so good and easy to maintain if looked after, is a no brained. When quoting I always show customer inside the back of my van to show them what they are getting for their money. It never fails to impress and gets me nearly every quote I do. So think on!
I don't say this to brag just to explain you get what you pay for. It pays to invest I know it is hard but if you can go for it DO IT, you will not fail, you can't as you have invested so much.
Ionics all the way for me.
Alan.

Carpets in a work van!
I have had 3 ionic systems in the last 16 years, I have never had water in the cab EVER!. 3 Renult traffics, no problem with any of them.And let me tell you I have had some leaks. Tell me a van that carries water that hasn't. I would be very surprised if this situation was down to Ionics. If it is, then do not worry they will sort it out. So many window cleaners bad mouth them but truth is, ALL THE OTHERS ARE FAR WORSE.
One night a lid blew of one of the filters water at full tap pressure hitting the inside roof of van for God knows how long. Imagine the amount of water that had spilled out..it came out of the side van door onto the driveway. Yes some damage to a toolbox of tools a few spanners ect and my radio was wrote off. This has only happened once though. The point is if floor of van was waterproofed by Ionics I would be very surprised that water could get into the cab. One last thing, I have had my issues with Ionics more in the early days none in the last 10 years. Yes their equipment is expensive BUT, it will last 15/20 years. This I know as my first system is still working 16yeats later in Cornwall.This with its 3rd owner. So £20,000 for a hot water system that is so good and easy to maintain if looked after, is a no brained. When quoting I always show customer inside the back of my van to show them what they are getting for their money. It never fails to impress and gets me nearly every quote I do. So think on!
I don't say this to brag just to explain you get what you pay for. It pays to invest I know it is hard but if you can go for it DO IT, you will not fail, you can't as you have invested so much.
Ionics all the way for me.
Alan.
If you have a mid-range van such as a Renault Trafic, Peugeot Expert, Ford Transit, etc., these all have the load bed below the driver's floor. So any spilt water will not get into the driver's cabin. My Peugeot Boxer is the same.
Most vans have sound deadening under the front mat which absorbs water. The only I've owned that didn't was my Y plate Suzuki Carry 1.3 van.

Hi Windy .
Yes exactly, but they must be given the chance to explain. It is unfair for them not to have been given a reason if there is one. They are not stupid. They have been around since day one of pole systems. As for their poles, I use gardeners. But we are talking about SYSTEMS,
are we not.
Alan.

Hi Windy .
Yes exactly, but they must be given the chance to explain. It is unfair for them not to have been given a reason if there is one. They are not stupid. They have been around since day one of pole systems. As for their poles, I use gardeners. But we are talking about SYSTEMS,
are we not.
Alan.
You obviously like their product, but haven't tried others. I'm still using a PF system, from 2011, that still works as new, that was probably half the price.

Back