Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are these RO Membranes Shot? Opinions please?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@spruce I’ve just done several readings of my tap water and the TDS is now 216. My RO gets it down to 11. So maybe that new membrane is needed sooner than I think
Your r/o membrane is running at 95% with these readings.

I was told that the time to consider membrane replacement is when the efficiency drops to 94%. This is the time to evaluate the cost of resin usage to replacement membrane costs. Smaller membranes such at 100gpd ones aren't expensive so it would make sense to replace them sooner rather than later on high tap water tds. But you might consider to push your membrane on a little bit more because a high quality replacement 4040 membrane is expensive. You are going to have to replace your membrane anyway at some point, but how long do you wait is the question?

Each cleaner has to make their own decision as to when to replace their membrane/s. Our water tds is usually around 125ppm so resin costs to polish the water off at 94% is going to be less than a cleaner who's water is 280ppm for example.

Another consideration is the availability of resin. If the shortage continues then it could influence a cleaner to replace his membrane/s sooner to save on resin usage?

Another consideration is the amount of pure you use a day.

And the obvious; can you afford the cost of a new membrane right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce @Part Timer Thanks for the replies. I get what your saying. I changed my resin back end of April. I use 400 litres a day 5 days a week. My TDS is now at 2 after the Di. The pressure is still the same. It did drop a little a few weeks ago. The cleaned out all the pipe work round here. I did flush out for a while after. But that is when things have changed. I regularly change pre filters. Thanks for advice. 

Back