Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Auto Shut-Off Kit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would opt for the first one tbh. I had one of the second item and wouldn't recommend it.

The second one works with a float valve in the tank. It works on the same principle as an old toilet float valve. As the cistern reaches full, the float valve starts to throttle back the water flow. There wasn't a point where the water was flowing freely and then instantly switched off. I found that the shut-off valve started to 'chatter' at this point, and I got water hammer through the pipes in the house.

It woke the whole household up at 4am in the morning, thinking we should take cover because we were in a war zone.

Agree with @spruce on this. Mine didn’t do the ‘chatter’ thing, but worked perfectly for months and for no reason just stopped working.
My utility room backs onto my front garage. Came downstairs one morning and the water had flooded it ?

Personally I wouldn't use either.
The second one is purely mechanical so no electricity needed which is good plus all the parts are next to your RO. I don't have any experience of this type.
The first type is what I would go for but I would just buy the separate components myself as the kit looks a tad over priced to me - but it's convenient for people who use 1/2" pipe.
I would go for something like this : 12v solenoid normally closed 1/4", a float switch, and a 12v power supply with connector then a bit of cable and that's it done. Wiring wise take negative from power supply to solenoid and route positive through float switch to the other terminal on solenoid, that's it, nice and simple. The float switch needs to be in the position so that when the tank is full it cuts the power to the solenoid - stops water flow. I haven't actually used the exact parts I linked to but ones very similar as I was using a 24V booster pump so used that as a power supply and a 24v solenoid.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I wouldn't use either.
The second one is purely mechanical so no electricity needed which is good plus all the parts are next to your RO. I don't have any experience of this type.
The first type is what I would go for but I would just buy the separate components myself as the kit looks a tad over priced to me - but it's convenient for people who use 1/2" pipe.
I would go for something like this : 12v solenoid normally closed 1/4", a float switch, and a 12v power supply with connector then a bit of cable and that's it done. Wiring wise take negative from power supply to solenoid and route positive through float switch to the other terminal on solenoid, that's it, nice and simple. The float switch needs to be in the position so that when the tank is full it cuts the power to the solenoid - stops water flow. I haven't actually used the exact parts I linked to but ones very similar as I was using a 24V booster pump so used that as a power supply and a 24v solenoid.
If you ever fancy a day out in County Durham let me know then you can come and build it for me ?

If my first choice is able to be adapted as in the 1/2" barbs can be replaced for JG inserts then I'd buy the first one, a little more searching online may find one to suit.

If you ever fancy a day out in County Durham let me know then you can come and build it for me ?

If my first choice is able to be adapted as in the 1/2" barbs can be replaced for JG inserts then I'd buy the first one, a little more searching online may find one to suit.
Couldn’t you just run a an overflow hose from the top of your holding tank to the barrel you bath in? ?

The PF one looks like the barbs are 1/2"bsp to barb connectors. These ones should fit 1/4" push fit to 1/2"BSP. I would ring PF and ask them if the 1/2" barbs come off and if so what thread is on the solenoid to double check.
If it was a couple of years ago I would have gladly popped over as we used to have a caravan in Barnard Castle, so I would have been relatively close.

The PF one looks like the barbs are 1/2"bsp to barb connectors. These ones should fit 1/4" push fit to 1/2"BSP. I would ring PF and ask them if the 1/2" barbs come off and if so what thread is on the solenoid to double check.
If it was a couple of years ago I would have gladly popped over as we used to have a caravan in Barnard Castle, so I would have been relatively close.
He would probably ask if you wanted to freshen up in his barrel ?

Couldn’t you just run a an overflow hose from the top of your holding tank to the barrel you bath in? ?
That's a potential straightforward option as I have everything I'd need (y)

I'd probably use JG hose and then an elbow fitting along with some pole hose otherwise if I use 1/2" hose through the warmer months it's likely to bend and possibly even through the colder months but not sure if the JG hose would be enough as an overflow hose.

Thanks for this Ched it does look as though those barbs may come off.

Barnard Castle nice area we go walking not far away from there and have a dip of course

That's a potential straightforward option as I have everything I'd need (y)

I'd probably use JG hose and then an elbow fitting along with some pole hose otherwise if I use 1/2" hose through the warmer months it's likely to bend and possibly even through the colder months but not sure if the JG hose would be enough as an overflow hose.
I used to have a bit of pole hose connected to a rectus on the side of my old tank so if I timed it wrong filling van overnight it flowed out onto my driveway.
Plenty wide enough to keep up with the ro.
Are you close enough to a drain to put some hose on like that?
My ibc used to have the same but 6” of pole hose then connected to an old garden hose to the drain running down the side of my garden behind the flower beds so hidden by soil.
Never breaks down lol.

Thanks for this Ched it does look as though those barbs may come off.

Barnard Castle nice area we go walking not far away from there and have a dip of course
The van was at a site called Winston bride overlooking the Tees, was a beautiful site. Used to see people swimming and canoeing down the river and by the bridge, might have been you ?

The van was at a site called Winston bride overlooking the Tees, was a beautiful site. Used to see people swimming and canoeing down the river and by the bridge, might have been you ?
We go for a swim up river not far from the Egglestone Abbey ruins it's around 6 miles from the caravan park, there was a Lido at Whorlton back in the 90's but it all stopped I belive after some drownings due to strong under currents, access is now restricted to that part of the river some people have wanted it reopening but I very much doubt it will happen

Attachments

• PXL_20220828_101201758.jpg
    PXL_20220828_101201758.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
I have the PF one. The previous one I had was one you recommended to me from Gardiners. It worked for years without a problem and then the plug gave up. The PF one isn’t just JG fittings, it comes with half inch barbs on the solenoid initially, I changed these out for JG half inch but they could be as easily changed out for something else I should think. They’re just screw thread. It’s really good, seems much more robust than the last one too.

Latest Posts

Back