Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bad payer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beeejayteee

Hi, I've been window cleaning for 44years, I've got over 600 customers and have had many more hundreds over the years. However for the first time I have a customer that's not paying me. She lives away and has a small holiday cottage(£8) that I've cleaned for years, it use to be her mother's home. I would clean it a few times then contact her and she'd pay online. Over a year ago she explained she was going through a divorce and would get round to it, being the kind of guy I am I just said when she could put her mind to it then pay. Eventually she owed £80 and asked her for payment, although promises were made no payment. Now she doesn't respond to my messages. Should I just let it go or have you used other, legal, methods that worked. Thanks

You have to go to mediation theses days before the small claims court , I know it’s galling but for £80 I would write it off and move on you could easily spend much more than what’s owed chasing it , or just keep sending emails about the bill or try and catch her if she visits . People not paying for work done is very frustrating but it’s not worth loosing sleep and the stress of it for that amount , good luck trying to get paid though .

I'd do what @Part Timer has said it's worth a try, I have had good customers go bad but I'd never let them run up £80 usually 1-2 cleans depending on the price but that would be it, I will now suspend certain jobs if they owe one clean even if they have been fine in the past as I am no longer letting people run up debt.

Hi, I've been window cleaning for 44years, I've got over 600 customers and have had many more hundreds over the years. However for the first time I have a customer that's not paying me. She lives away and has a small holiday cottage(£8) that I've cleaned for years, it use to be her mother's home. I would clean it a few times then contact her and she'd pay online. Over a year ago she explained she was going through a divorce and would get round to it, being the kind of guy I am I just said when she could put her mind to it then pay. Eventually she owed £80 and asked her for payment, although promises were made no payment. Now she doesn't respond to my messages. Should I just let it go or have you used other, legal, methods that worked. Thanks
Not worth it! Legal fees would eat that amount at first phonecall to your lawyer.

Now days it doesn't matter who they are or how long we have cleaned them, if no payment is received then they don't get cleaned again. At one time we really chased payment after the second clean, but that changed about 15 years ago with the credit crunch.

People's lives change. They can be good customers for years, but their circumstances can change overnight and become bad customers. We have experience that numerous times, just as you have. Your mistake this time was letting the debt escalate.

The old window cleaner mentality was to throw eggs at non payers windows. We had several trad cleaners who regularly did that back in the day. Please don't do that.:eek:

Last edited:
Go and knock on for it. That’s alls the debt collectors that you could be paying will do in beginning anyway. Coming from a collecting your cash at the door background it’s no bother for me even if it’s more just for the principal. Don’t let people rip you off end of. If they have money troubles then they should have said in the first place instead of letting the cleans accumulate. If they still persist on not paying then things will start to go missing which might not be the best advice but that’s only what the bailiffs will do anyway.

I have also noticed a few of our self-employed business owners insist on paying cash now rather than via BACS. I'm not totally sure why, but I am starting to make assumptions.
The one business and linked house clean we have done monthly for the past 10 years has been put on hold this week, so is this indicative of the pressure on the economy?

I have also noticed a few of our self-employed business owners insist on paying cash now rather than via BACS. I'm not totally sure why, but I am starting to make assumptions.
The one business and linked house clean we have done monthly for the past 10 years has been put on hold this week, so is this indicative of the pressure on the economy?
Most likely, I have had more people cancel recently after price increases or after asking to extend the schedule and then been informed of a higher price per scheduled clean.

They'd be saving money over the previous price but simply now take it as an opportunity to completely cancel.

Back