Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Been a bad month!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sorry to hear of the ill health! Hope you make a speedy recovery. Ive been quite fortunate in the sense that ive only had things that have kept me off for a few days when they have happened (flu/norovirus/truckers a*se) 

my back injury was probably the worst, i was off for 3-4 days and then had to wear a back brace for 18 months (i could work but it was difficult) i sacked off all the hard labour jobs i used to do (conny roofs, garden clearances, veg patch dig overs etc) as my back just couldnt take it. The good thing is that i did more of what i enjoy, windows, gutters, pressure washing etc) and now havent gone back to the hard labour stuff. I do the odd conny roof but not the hard ones. Learned my lesson and will look after my back as much as poss.

its wise to have a financial buffer in place. October was rough, £700 in van repairs on top of other expenses. You just never know what can happen. We wont work in silly weather, especially when it drops below zero, its just not worth the risk. Seen/heard of so many nasty slips and motoring accidents. Luckily down here it rarely freezes so for the sake of what little time it is we throw the towel in work wise. Not racing round like a looney helps as well. I walk everywhere, wont even power walk or jog,

and dont run to a strict time schedule. Probably lose money by not having strict time keeping policies but wed rather take an hour or two longer on a job and come home in one piece & not stressed out. You cant really help illnesses but you can certainly prevent injuries this way. All the best folks, big love

Sorry to hear of the ill health! Hope you make a speedy recovery. Ive been quite fortunate in the sense that ive only had things that have kept me off for a few days when they have happened (flu/norovirus/truckers a*se) 

my back injury was probably the worst, i was off for 3-4 days and then had to wear a back brace for 18 months (i could work but it was difficult) i sacked off all the hard labour jobs i used to do (conny roofs, garden clearances, veg patch dig overs etc) as my back just couldnt take it. The good thing is that i did more of what i enjoy, windows, gutters, pressure washing etc) and now havent gone back to the hard labour stuff. I do the odd conny roof but not the hard ones. Learned my lesson and will look after my back as much as poss.

its wise to have a financial buffer in place. October was rough, £700 in van repairs on top of other expenses. You just never know what can happen. We wont work in silly weather, especially when it drops below zero, its just not worth the risk. Seen/heard of so many nasty slips and motoring accidents. Luckily down here it rarely freezes so for the sake of what little time it is we throw the towel in work wise. Not racing round like a looney helps as well. I walk everywhere, wont even power walk or jog,

and dont run to a strict time schedule. Probably lose money by not having strict time keeping policies but wed rather take an hour or two longer on a job and come home in one piece & not stressed out. You cant really help illnesses but you can certainly prevent injuries this way. All the best folks, big love

Feel your pain regarding back, this time last year it happened to me only now I’m feeling mostly over it don’t think it will ever heal 100%. I do have a small slush fund and am great-full it is there. I’ve found that I’m a bit of a workaholic at least I like/ need a solid routine to feel optimum so not getting out every day is a frustration.

£700 on the Van is a kick in the nuts even though we know at some point it’ll happen still hurts when it does.

ill be down your neck of the woods tomorrow for my appointment, Cardiff marina. 

Hopfully get an idea on how long this will take to sort.

thanks for your kind words ?

Feel your pain regarding back, this time last year it happened to me only now I’m feeling mostly over it don’t think it will ever heal 100%. I do have a small slush fund and am great-full it is there. I’ve found that I’m a bit of a workaholic at least I like/ need a solid routine to feel optimum so not getting out every day is a frustration.

£700 on the Van is a kick in the nuts even though we know at some point it’ll happen still hurts when it does.

ill be down your neck of the woods tomorrow for my appointment, Cardiff marina. 

Hopfully get an idea on how long this will take to sort.

thanks for your kind words ?
Best of luck dude ? its pretty bleak this time of year at the docks im afraid. In summer it booms in winter its a ghost town

my back totally went the other week and i was forced to take a week off....i also had to cancel a gig(im a drummer too)and no gym for a few weeks.....its strange to say but i enjoyed having the time off and taking it easy once i accepted i couldnt work....

the longest ive had off in 26 years of window cleaning was when i tore an ankle ligament playing football 10 years ago,nearly a month off on crutches,luckily i had an emergency fund built up so no worries about paying bills,etc......

likes been said already i still get up early and make the most of my day when im off (either sick or injured!)....

don't sleep in mate, most people die in bed, avoid all that by getting up at your normal time and if you can't go to work then, do something constructive, you'll be surprised at how much you can do, i'm taking this little setback as time to do admin and plan for future ventures yourself?.

yesterday I bought a kindle book from amazon 99p it cost me, it was about a guy in Scotland and his first few months in window cleaning, on my page on here it shows up at the bottom of the homepage, anyway its well worth a read and is very self levelling,and makes me gratefull for what I have and have worked for over all these years

javascript:void(0)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-0082-Business-David-MacDean-ebook/dp/B07ZXBNQ7M/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=window+cleaning+kindle&qid=1574884466&sr=8-11
cheers for that kevin ive just downloaded it to my phone...i love reading about other window cleaners stories.....and i wish you a speedy recovery pal.....?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Been the worst Month earning wise for me due to losing days due to the c**p weather we have had, but I still have my customers, it is just that I have not been able to do their windows on time.

Will be back on track by mid December though. Just one of the things about being self employed and your own boss.

Been the worst Month earning wise for me due to losing days due to the c**p weather we have had, but I still have my customers, it is just that I have not been able to do their windows on time.

Will be back on track by mid December though. Just one of the things about being self employed and your own boss.
Not lost a day yet this winter. 

Head down and crack on.

Only a bit of rain lol.

Spent a few years educating all my customers and now I just crack on.

Yeah.cleaning windas  in rain ain't good for biz..you av got to laff at some of em ain't ya.

you need to change your attitude mate...i was once like you many years ago.....just get out and clean em no matter what the weather...the key is being prepared,2 waterproof jackets(one for morning and one for the afternoon)waterproof boots and hiking trousers,your customers get used to you cleaning in the rain when you ve been doing it for years......

over the course of a year you could be losing out on £3,000-£4,000..madness if you ask me just because you wont work in a bit of rain....

Sometimes everything seems to go against you like what's happening to me. Had 4 nice days indoor painting so I put van in to get the rust removed and spray painted. Half way through paint job everything tickety boo. Then disaster struck, my mum gave me the novovirus and in bed all day. Recovered and finished the paint job and then i would pick up my newly painted van i thought. Van painter was now in hospital because someone wrote off his car while he was waiting at lights. My customers were nipping my heed asking when i would be cleaning their windows and gutters. Received van last night and decided to fill my water tank but I ended up breaking my JG RO flush valve. Decided to buy one today but not an easy part to get a hold of i have now found out. So i thought i would concentrate on clearing the gutter jobs until i later found out they were frozen. So I'm relaxing till next week when the temperature is up a bit, that's the problem living in Scotland. Happy Days ?

I think the East Midlands have had the worst of it to be fair. I've been lucky as the really bad rain has fallen on gutter / commercial days so haven't lost one. Trying not to rub it in but this has been my best ever November ?

Yeah.cleaning windas  in rain ain't good for biz..you av got to laff at some of em ain't ya.
Or you could just crack on knowing the windows will be fine.

Customers don't care at all.

I'm running an all year round business not a part time whenever the weather is ok business.

There's hardly been any dry days in the past couple of months. 

This is when you have to realise, if you haven't already that you need to work in the rain. 

I didn't when I started out but then I had the luxury of picking and choosing. 

It's mostly all in you head. Very few people care about you working in the rain. 

I've done full days in some ridiculous weather recently and no one has said a word. 

I think the East Midlands have had the worst of it to be fair. I've been lucky as the really bad rain has fallen on gutter / commercial days so haven't lost one. Trying not to rub it in but this has been my best ever November ?
Nice to hear some not been too badly effected, anyway I think it is good for the soul using my candle as the only source of heat and light in my lodgings while enjoying my daily piece of bread and dripping....minus the dripping lol

I've worked in the rain in other jobs so it doesn't bother me much. Was out on the glass Wednesday in heavy rain.

Waterproof coat was fine.. unfortunately I forgot that water drips of them onto the trousers and underwear LOL. Nevermind I got paid ?

To be honest Novemeber was our best month turnover wise in 2018, and is going to be the best month again this year ?

The key is to be more busy in the winter then the summer ?

There's hardly been any dry days in the past couple of months. 

This is when you have to realise, if you haven't already that you need to work in the rain. 

I didn't when I started out but then I had the luxury of picking and choosing. 

It's mostly all in you head. Very few people care about you working in the rain. 

I've done full days in some ridiculous weather recently and no one has said a word. 
Same were I am in County Durham, every week we have had rain, on average I reckon it's rained 3 days through the week and lashed down most weekends, I have had the odd later start and early finish when it's being too bad but I have got all my work completed most weeks with just a few jobs running over here and there, although I typically don't work Fridays maybe a few hours at most and a full day if pushed.

Latest Posts

Back