Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Billboards and Bus adverts

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

How anyone tried a billboard or a bus advert before? Would it be worth it? IM in Leeds and the bus routes are pretty busy roads and billboards are spotted allover especially where red lights are etc, would it be worth the money spent to get new customers?

Don’t know how it would work for window cleaners, but I used to be a window fitter and the company I worked for had some posters put on the sides of double decker buses that went up and down Bromley high street.
It brought them in tons of work initially, but then fizzled out.
The picture was of the director shaking hands with a customer

How anyone tried a billboard or a bus advert before? Would it be worth it? IM in Leeds and the bus routes are pretty busy roads and billboards are spotted allover especially where red lights are etc, would it be worth the money spent to get new customers?
If you have a van get it sign written that’s the best money you will ever spend people see you working and will call you .

And the big question is : what would it cost? Have you inquired?
And what would the ad look like, i.e. would it be just about promoting the name of the business or would it include some sort of 'special' offer?

Billboards are ridiculous amounts of money, something like £500 a week and that was about 8 years ago when I looked into the one that's in the town where I work.

Billboards are ridiculous amounts of money, something like £500 a week and that was about 8 years ago when I looked into the one that's in the town where I work.
There's some on the main road going into Leeds city centre that are like £200 a week

There's some on the main road going into Leeds city centre that are like £200 a week
My thoughts, probably not worth much, would be -

At 200 quid a week, how long would you be tied in to advertising, and realistically would you make that investment back (and more) each week?

The place I was looking it's the only one in the town, I'm not clued up on all the factors that dictates the prices of them.

At the time I was thinking of going with something funny, but borderline pre watershed too. Window cleaner collecting the money and an attractive woman with no money, thinking if only there was some other way I could pay you. With it pictured above in her head, then at the side saying something like, don't believe everything you see in the films, the preferred payment method is cash.

Probably glad I didn't thinking back now. Something funny though that people can relate too. How many times have people said to you for a laugh do any pay behind the door. Everyone would get the joke.

I would say the big question about billboards is how often have you bought something you saw on a bill board?
OK so some go viral and get very well known - remember 'Hello Boys'!!!
Designing a poster to attract someone's attention then making them call you isn't going to be easy even for experts in poster design.

I would say invest in a web site and some seo tools.

The place I was looking it's the only one in the town, I'm not clued up on all the factors that dictates the prices of them.

At the time I was thinking of going with something funny, but borderline pre watershed too. Window cleaner collecting the money and an attractive woman with no money, thinking if only there was some other way I could pay you. With it pictured above in her head, then at the side saying something like, don't believe everything you see in the films, the preferred payment method is cash.

Probably glad I didn't thinking back now. Something funny though that people can relate too. How many times have people said to you for a laugh do any pay behind the door. Everyone would get the joke.
I completely get the joke and can see the funny side. I wouldn't have a problem with it personally in any way, but as far as other people are concerned I could see that going pear shaped in any number of ways and is just not the sort of advert I'd want my business associated with . Confessions of a window cleaner and Carry On films are well past their sell by date.
Using sex in any way , or sexy women, has the potential to go wrong nowadays. For a start all the unattractive women decide to take offence. Besides, what's it got to do with professional w/cleaning services??

....and for the record I still like Carry Ons. Recently I was watching Carry on Girls and June Whitfield is talking about the town's average annual rainfall. She says something to the effect that it's 9 inches and 9 inches is perfectly average.
Sid James says if you think 9 inches is average, you've been spoilt.....I'm still laughing about it now

My thoughts, probably not worth much, would be -

At 200 quid a week, how long would you be tied in to advertising, and realistically would you make that investment back (and more) each week?
They're not contracted )that's what it says on the billboard) but I'm assuming there will be some hidden costs including the design of the billboard etc...

Originally I did think it might be good, and realistically you wouldn't need that many new customers to pay off the investment but it's a big price to take that risk.

I see quite a lot of little sign on roundabouts with traffic lights, but I checked to see how much they are and they're pretty much all sold out throughout Leeds so there's no chance with that.

I completely get the joke and can see the funny side. I wouldn't have a problem with it personally in any way, but as far as other people are concerned I could see that going pear shaped in any number of ways and is just not the sort of advert I'd want my business associated with . Confessions of a window cleaner and Carry On films are well past their sell by date.
Using sex in any way , or sexy women, has the potential to go wrong nowadays. For a start all the unattractive women decide to take offence. Besides, what's it got to do with professional w/cleaning services??

....and for the record I still like Carry Ons. Recently I was watching Carry on Girls and June Whitfield is talking about the town's average annual rainfall. She says something to the effect that it's 9 inches and 9 inches is perfectly average.
Sid James says if you think 9 inches is average, you've been spoilt.....I'm still laughing about it now

If it got people's attention it would have served its purpose. Most adults would see it for the humour it was intended to be. Just think doing a run of the mill boring one wouldn't get noticed as much. Atleast something like that would get people laughing.

Woman have always used there looks to gain something from someone. I had some woman chapping the door the other week raising money for charity. Am absolute babe, I laughed and said I can see why they have sent you out to do the door knocking. Youl not get many slammed in your face. Am now £20 a month on benji the tiger. Ko a didn't sign up.

If it got people's attention it would have served its purpose. Most adults would see it for the humour it was intended to be. Just think doing a run of the mill boring one wouldn't get noticed as much. Atleast something like that would get people laughing.

Woman have always used there looks to gain something from someone. I had some woman chapping the door the other week raising money for charity. Am absolute babe, I laughed and said I can see why they have sent you out to do the door knocking. Youl not get many slammed in your face. Am now £20 a month on benji the tiger. Ko a didn't sign up.
Yeah fair enough mate. I'm not saying you're wrong but a high profile ad like that in itself would be enough to raise awareness of your company.
We'll just have to agree to disagree cos these days I don't think you can make assumptions about how people will react and plus it's about how seriously you want to be perceived. Each to their own

Yeah fair enough mate. I'm not saying you're wrong but a high profile ad like that in itself would be enough to raise awareness of your company.
We'll just have to agree to disagree cos these days I don't think you can make assumptions about how people will react and plus it's about how seriously you want to be perceived. Each to their own

Now I'm a bit older if I was doing a billboard add I wouldn't put it on, I'd have done it just for the laugh of it though years ago.

I drove by one of those new electric billboards and they were looking for someone to advertise on it. Internet has taken all their business and STV are struggling to get businesses to advertise.

Back