Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bolting tank in transit custom

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PC

I’ve tried the search bar and had a look on line but can’t seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.
My Transit Custom swb is going in to the garage next week to have a 650l tank bolted in.
Has anyone done that with a Transit Custom and did you have to drop the fuel tank?
Where did you position the tank?
I’m looking at going up as close to the bulkhead as possible. I currently have a flat 650l up against the bulkhead. It’s been there for 6 years. The new tank will be an upright.
Any help from fellow custom owners or anyone who knows someone who has a custom would be gratefully appreciated!

I’ve tried the search bar and had a look on line but can’t seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.
My Transit Custom swb is going in to the garage next week to have a 650l tank bolted in.
Has anyone done that with a Transit Custom and did you have to drop the fuel tank?
I’m looking at going up as close to the bulkhead as possible. I currently have a flat 650l up against the bulkhead. It’s been there for 6 years. The new tank will be an upright.
Any help from fellow custom owners or anyone who knows someone who has a custom would be gratefully appreciated!
I'll be straight to the point. Reference questions about installations whether it be DIY or a mechanic, it's not something you'll find detailed answers on due to the H&S nature of it. In today's screwed up world liability, accountability and responsibility has legal repercussions and if the incorrect information or instruction is given people die when half a ton water and wet metal exit the bulkhead snap the driver in two and possibly kill the vehicle driver in front

Any reputable mechanical engineer or spanner monkey will figure out how to centre a frame, work out what spreader bars to use, work out vehicle weights and balance along with where to drill holes and how to access the underside of a van

That's pretty much the same reply others would leave

Any reputable mechanical engineer or spanner monkey will figure out how to centre a frame, work out what spreader bars to use, work out vehicle weights and balance along with where to drill holes and how to access the underside of a van
Not sure I would trust a typical 'spanner monkey' with my life! I can't see them having the skill to position a frame to ensure neither axle is overloaded or work out what spreader bars/plates are adequate.
I think you may be giving them too much credit for their skills - well the ones I have seen anyway :)

Had mine done by GrippaTank near Cambridge.
There roughly a one foot gap between the bulkhead and the edge of the tank.

Not sure what the difference is between someone fitting the tank at a window cleaning tank supplier and a qualified mechanic. Are they not doing exactly the same job or is there a special course you have to go on?
Spanner monkey is a harsh and misguided statement considering you have no idea who will be ‘potentially’ fitting it for me.
This is a garage I have used for years. It’s family run and well respected where I live.
Do you think they would work on my vehicle and give it back to me in a potentially dangerous state. I’m not sure they would.
Their main mot guy will be taking a look first and assessing the vehicle and tank before committing to anything.
You would trust a ‘spanner monkey’ with working on your brakes and all other manner of work etc etc without a thought!
To be fair I did only ask if anyone with a transit custom had done the same as what I’m looking to do. Mainly to clear any questions in my head as I do trust the garage who would be carrying out the work.
Maybe I won’t risk asking again!
Thank you Steve Garwood for your comment. I had a feeling the tank would sit slightly forward of the bulkhead after looking underneath the van myself and to where fixings could potentially go.

Not sure what the difference is between someone fitting the tank at a window cleaning tank supplier and a qualified mechanic. Are they not doing exactly the same job or is there a special course you have to go on?
Spanner monkey is a harsh and misguided statement considering you have no idea who will be ‘potentially’ fitting it for me.
This is a garage I have used for years. It’s family run and well respected where I live.
Do you think they would work on my vehicle and give it back to me in a potentially dangerous state. I’m not sure they would.
Their main mot guy will be taking a look first and assessing the vehicle and tank before committing to anything.
You would trust a ‘spanner monkey’ with working on your brakes and all other manner of work etc etc without a thought!
To be fair I did only ask if anyone with a transit custom had done the same as what I’m looking to do. Mainly to clear any questions in my head as I do trust the garage who would be carrying out the work.
Thank you Steve Garwood for your comment. I had a feeling the tank would sit slightly forward of the bulkhead after looking underneath the van myself and to where fixings could potentially go.
I assumed that 'spanner monkeys' where trained to work on vehicles and that's their skills. So I would trust them to carry out maintenance and repairs as that's their skill set.
The problem with a tank is, ideally there should be some calculations done to ensure that the weight (tank, frame and water) is not overloading either axle (too far forward or back) as a badly positioned tank can effect breaking distances let alone damage suspension.
Then there is the spreader plates - how thick should they be, in what location to ensure strength, high tensile bolts, etc.

While bolting in a tank is a basic mechanical problem that any 'spanner monkey' could do, it's doing it to ensure the driver is as safe as possible. Think of it like a diy person putting up a shelf - no problems but then asking them to bolt a £20,000 tv to a plasterboard wall. It needs to be done by someone with experience as the risk of doing it wrong could have bad consequences!

I'm not having a go at the garage you trust as they have earned your trust, I'm just trying to make you aware that it's not as simple as drilling a few holes and bolting it in. It's not rocket science though :)

You can do all the calcs - it's not complicated maths - look online for load and axle weights etc. You can also then see where the tank would fit and look under to see if the fuel/ad blue tank needs lowering to bolt in.

As for the tank location in your van - have you tried google images for 'transit connect and tank'. It might give you an idea, then do the calcs to double check. Just remember in the event of an accident you don't want the tank to come crashing through the bulkhead and impaling you on the steering wheel! I have seen tanks strapped in using the non load rated 'loading eyes', 'screwed' in using wood screws or 'bolted' in using concrete screws.
At the end of the day it's your choice how and who does the work, I'm just trying to give you a little more info.

Sorry I can't help on the Connect side of things.

Ched your points are valid mate.
The reason I posted was to double check with people who have fitted into a transit custom. Firstly so I know it is actually doable and secondly the positioning of the tank. Like I said just double checking things so it’s clear in my head so the noises coming from the garage will marry up with what I have researched and been told by people who have actually done the same as what I want to do.
To be honest even the crash tested ones are only tested up to 30mph (I think thats right isn’t it?). So anything over that you would be in trouble anyway even with the hulk and his twin brother holding the tank down!
Ps £20,000 tv - that must be bolted in and crash tested for that price 😃

Ched your points are valid mate.
The reason I posted was to double check with people who have fitted into a transit custom. Firstly so I know it is actually doable and secondly the positioning of the tank. Like I said just double checking things so it’s clear in my head so the noises coming from the garage will marry up with what I have researched and been told by people who have actually done the same as what I want to do.
This what I did last year before having my Facelift system bolted into my berlingo, I went to local fabricators who had bolted tanks in before, but they were going to put it on a sled they'd fabricate for me,

They didn't ask what size the tank was how much water it held or the entire weight of the system, whether empty or full of water.

My head was battered at times, but I opted for my local garage who I have used for years and built up trust with, they checked and double checked things and had a local fabricator do some bespoke fabrication.

This what I did last year before having my Facelift system bolted into my berlingo, I went to local fabricators who had bolted tanks in before, but they were going to put it on a sled they'd fabricate for me,

They didn't ask what size the tank was how much water it held or the entire weight of the system, whether empty or full of water.

My head was battered at times, but I opted for my local garage who I have used for years and built up trust with, they checked and double checked things and had a local fabricator do some bespoke fabrication.
Thanks for that mate. What kind of fabrication did they come up with?

Thanks for that mate. What kind of fabrication did they come up with?
Just needed something extra for the brackets as what WCW supplied wasn't substantial enough as they just supply four small brackets, the fabricator welded a longer piece of metal to each bracket so two bolts could be used per bracket to go through the floor.

What I can't figure out with WCW is why when they fit the systems at their premises they use something more substantial like two big pieces of metal down each side which I assume is bolted through the floor in multiple places, I have seen this in photos of other peoples systems, I don't get why they don't also supply these to anyone buying one of their systems if they are independently getting their system fitted, they could easily be put on the same pallet for delivery to the customer.

I’ve got a transit custom swb 2015 with a 600ltr ionic’s tank, it’s positioned about 20cm’s from the bulkhead and bolted at the sides. The fuel tank didn’t have to be removed as it’s positioned more central there is plenty of room for the spreader plates underneath.

I don’t think he was criticising your garage but just pointing out that in this “claim generation” that we seem to be living in no one in their right mind would give you a 100% guarantee as there are too many risks involved. Sometimes it’s best to use your own judgement as it’s you and your life that’s at hand. That said I bought a brand new transit custom back in 2020 when the world had gone mad and when I rang the manufacturer to ask about fitting a tank and frame they said that cutting/drilling into any of the body work/sub frame or chassis would invalidate my warranty and it would also be affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Just needed something extra for the brackets as what WCW supplied wasn't substantial enough as they just supply four small brackets, the fabricator welded a longer piece of metal to each bracket so two bolts could be used per bracket to go through the floor.

What I can't figure out with WCW is why when they fit the systems at their premises they use something more substantial like two big pieces of metal down each side which I assume is bolted through the floor in multiple places, I have seen this in photos of other peoples systems, I don't get why they don't also supply these to anyone buying one of their systems if they are independently getting their system fitted, they could easily be put on the same pallet for delivery to the customer.
Strange that isn’t it?

Strange that isn’t it?

I’ve got a transit custom swb 2015 with a 600ltr ionic’s tank, it’s positioned about 20cm’s from the bulkhead and bolted at the sides. The fuel tank didn’t have to be removed as it’s positioned more central there is plenty of room for the spreader plates underneath.
Thanks for that mate

I don’t think he was criticising your garage but just pointing out that in this “claim generation” that we seem to be living in no one in their right mind would give you a 100% guarantee as there are too many risks involved. Sometimes it’s best to use your own judgement as it’s you and your life that’s at hand. That said I bought a brand new transit custom back in 2020 when the world had gone mad and when I rang the manufacturer to ask about fitting a tank and frame they said that cutting/drilling into any of the body work/sub frame or chassis would invalidate my warranty and it would also be affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle.
Whats yours bolted into then?

Strange that isn’t it?
Considering years ago they just used to send a few screws so people could secure the tank to plyboard in the van :eek: no not really,

In all honesty, I have to agree it doesn't seem right that they don't supply these side bars as I'll call them as standard because if it was £400 for fitting last year most of the money is in the fitting as I was getting quotes of £350 to £500 if I had all the fittings

Having worked in the motor trade 25 years ago, I can assure you that some of the mechanics in the dealer workshops I worked in were useless. I wouldn't have some of them service my car, let alone fit a tank into my van. Our local Teesside Peugeot garages were training up a troubleshooter a few years ago because they found that the current range of mechanics couldn't identify and solve problems. Sorry.

My first van was a Citroen Relay swb. The only way we could fit a 650 litre upright Wydale tank was length ways and slightly off from the bulkhead. Ideally I wanted the tank fitted width ways, but this would overload the front axle on that van. However, if I owned a Renault Trafic 2900 I could put a 650 litre tank across the bulkhead. It is all about the distribution of centre of the load in relation to the front and rear axles, and not every van is the same.

A fellow windie in our area purchased a 2010 Citroen Relay and transferred his 650 l tank across from his Transit. He fitted the tank across his front bulkhead. He had to later replace the front steering rack as it failed. I believe it failed due to being overloaded.

The MOT inspector I took my previous van to was happy with using spreader plates across the floor, but would fail the van if holes were drilled in the chassis to secure the tank, as he said that would compromise the integrity of the chassis. When I fitted the same tank to my Boxer I drilled 3 holes through a chassis cross member and 2 holes through the main chassis structures. I also drilled 4 holes through the floor with spreader plates. The current MOT inspector doesn't have an issue with this, as I've used spreader plates on the chassis where I've drilled the holes.

If anyone is interested, I posted this formula for working out payload weight distribution on this thread.

Totally get what you are saying Spruce. But you obviously cannot say that every single mechanic is useless!
I have the main mot tester having a look tomorrow. He’s an old boy and has been in the trade a very long time.
Let’s see what he says

My local garage fitted my 500l upright tank and pure freedom frame lengthways in the middle of my connect so neither axle is overloaded.its been perfect for the last 7+ years...cost me £80.

No van system is 100% safe.try not to crash is my advice and obviously drive with caution when you have a full tank which you should anyway as its common sense

Hello mate,
I thinking about getting another van soon, you got any photos of the welded extension please sounds a better option than what comes with the compact.

Back