Cant believe how prices vary so much in the same area.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by mrtaytay, Mar 26, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I had to go and give a quote today for a 4 bedroomed detatched house, both internals and externals. Some of the windows are a little awkward as the house is on a slope. Their previous window cleaner hadnt been since christmas (they have no idea whats happened to him) so they are looking for a new one. I quoted £46.00. They were a little shocked and told me the previous cleaner charged them £25.00. They reluctantly accepted my quote even though I suggested that they might want to get another quote. I came away feeling quite guilty. I cannot believe the previous bloke was doing the house for so little. Prices certainly vary locally as well as nationally.

Advertisement
  2. Shiny

Shiny Forum Addict

Maybe the previous windy's prices has been his demise..? your still here and trading.. I ve learnt that it's what you need to do a job at price were you can work at a pace were you don'feel you have to rush and move on to the next one, far better taking your time, doing a excellent job. A saying that was once said to me many years ago from a very successful local business man ( not a window cleaner) but applies to any business
    "Quality lingers, were price is forgotten" ..... no need to feel guilty mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TolishAPurd

Shiney is bang on with what he says. And it sounds to me like the windy seriously underquoted and just couldnt keep going, so rather then raise the price, he just gave up. If he has done the same on all his houses, then maybe he gave up the trade completely. Either way, its a win for you so well done.

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I forgot to say that the windy had been doing that house for 20 years and lots of the surrounding houses and now he has totally disappeared. Maybe he didnt put his prices up on a regular basis and so the value of his clean fell further and further behind the rate of inflation.

5. cheapncheerful

yes often happens they disappear because they haven't put up their prices...nice to see you charging smurf prices mrtaytay, it does vary by area but i ask what they used to pay and sometimes you just think ....really....:eek:

6. TolishAPurd

Lets face it though mate, if someone posed that question to them, they would be a fool to say the actual price- they will always say a cheap price just to keep yours down. I just prefer to quote what I'm happy with, and if I find out they were paying more before, then at least I know that they are happy with the price and won't go looking elsewhere.

7. cheapncheerful

well if given the chance i always put the price through the letterbox and do a runner. .
    .no sometimes people are honest ,you can tell the fibbers...i did the mistake a while back under pressure to get a price through the letterbox she came in and it was absolutely p...lashing it down so i didn't take long enough looking and said £12...i soon realised it was worth more ...she knew too ..you could see it in her eyes....i missed two side windows....and a conny from the side which in actual fact went down to the ground in glass at the front and also up to the top of the roof as well, another lesson learnt...don't worry its £15 now ....yes that probably is too cheap ! but just about pays...i kinda snuck it up ...caught the hubby first and just last week got the £15 off her...she had it in her hand as she asked me how much?,,,,,,lesson learnt for the future....the only thing got in a hurry is kids..:)

8. mr shine

mr shine Guru

as said mrtaytay dont worry about the old cleaner he was obviously way to cheap , my father recently retired after 51 years self employed and one thing he always drummed into me was get your price and he was right , one thing i notice is if im recommend to a new custy they always accept my price , but if i canvass strangers a lot of them expect the job done way cheaper .

9. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Very true tolish.....I just got the impression that they were telling the truth......especially when I saw their eyes nearly pop out when I told them the price.

10. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Very true mr shine.....get your price right and maintain it (over the years) at the right price. I was recommended to this couple by their neice.

Advertisement