Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cheap wfp set up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dave1971

Hi new to the group. I am a complete newbie, I work full time  and have just bought a round as a sideline to help get my son start off. It's only 43 houses once a month. I have been looking into the wfp systems for all the firdt floor windows. Any advice would be welcome. Prices, best start up, how much water I will need to take out etc etc. This any good or shite. 

Cheers

Screenshot_20210803_080608_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Hi new to the group. I am a complete newbie, I work full time  and have just bought a round as a sideline to help get my son start off. It's only 43 houses once a month. I have been looking into the wfp systems for all the firdt floor windows. Any advice would be welcome. Prices, best start up, how much water I will need to take out etc etc. This any good or shite. 

Cheers

View attachment 25265
A very good morning to you.

First and foremost with respect and without offence please spend some time reading through the copious threads on WFP and starting out.

The image you have posted and the introduction you've created will not work in concept.

There are many steps to starting out and you'll need to know these before splashing water on the glass.

please read and note take because you'll regret it if you don't.

at the top of the page you'll see a magnifying glass icon?which is the search bar.

Read through all the posts about starting up as that will accurately answer all your questions with facts to get up and running

Apw1210 said:
A very good morning to you.

First and foremost with respect and without offence please spend some time reading through the copious threads on WFP and starting out.

The image you have posted and the introduction you've created will not work in concept.

There are many steps to starting out and you'll need to know these before splashing water on the glass.

please read and note take because you'll regret it if you don't.

at the top of the page you'll see a magnifying glass icon?which is the search bar.

Read through all the posts about starting up as that will accurately answer all your questions with facts to get up and running
PS, THE WORD CHEAP = RUBBISH THAT WONT WORK

No offence taken, to be expected, I'm expecting a bit **** tbh.a bit helpful advice in between would be good, cheers I will have a look at other posts. 

No offence taken, to be expected, I'm expecting a bit **** tbh.a bit helpful advice in between would be good, cheers I will have a look at other posts. 
You won't get any 5hit mate, just honest experienced valid points of view.

I'll be dead straight with you, there are no secrets in this industry but we do ask new starters to do their homework and find out important information that they'll need to start a business.

Question 1, will you be buying pure water from spotless water or intending to produce it yourself

Welcome. As Austin has said the basic questions you have have been asked and answered many many times recently here, so have a search.

That said there are a few basics first off you need to know your water pressure and the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) readings of your water. When you know those things you can determine how to make your pure water. The kit you show is for very soft water i.e. less than 70ppm tds. 

As for how much water you will use that depends on how dirty the windows are and how many there are. I know that's not what you want to hear. 

As for prices well you have 43 houses so start looking at those prices. Try and set yourself an hourly rate that you would be happy with bearing in mind you have to pay liability insurance, equipment, transport, consumables, tax, national insurance etc. Then see how long a job takes you. You will get faster as you get more proficient but it will give you a guide.

Lastly if you buy budget equipment - specifically poles then work will be harder. Buy decent branded kit as it will be built better and help you do a better job. Gardiners probably do the best poles, even their 'budget' clx poles are very good.

One other thing, when you say only 43 houses remember that that averages out at 11 a weekend. OK so that doesn't sound like many and a lot on here would probably do all 42 in 2 days but when you are starting out the amount of extra time you take setting up moving trolleys, working out what angle your brush needs to be etc all adds up, never mind the weather which can easily wipe out a few days!!!

Good luck, you have a very steep learning curve that you need to learn quickly to avoid losing the custy you have! In every available moment you have read as much as you can on here...

I can answer one question straight away. 

How much water to take out?

As much as you can fit in. Running out is very time consuming, and unprofessional. 

Also it’s not just about where you are now, that you need to consider, but also where you plan to be work wise in a year or two. 

Buying a rubbish pole now, and then buying a nice one in a years time is a waste of money. 

Hope it all works out for you??

Thanks for reply, I guess I have overestimated what can be done in a day, I am a renderer by trade which is my full time job so totally understand weather, been doing it twenty years plus,It is bought as a sideline to give my son once I am confident he's ready albeit I will be learning myself. So these backpack systems would not be worth buying, do you think I should just stick to traditional methods.what I have read about them seems to me water in your back pack goes through a vessel to deionise sending pure water up through the hose and end of brush, is this the top and bottom of it?or do you think I am running before I can walk

Thanks

Thanks for reply, I guess I have overestimated what can be done in a day, I am a renderer by trade which is my full time job so totally understand weather, been doing it twenty years plus,It is bought as a sideline to give my son once I am confident he's ready albeit I will be learning myself. So these backpack systems would not be worth buying, do you think I should just stick to traditional methods.what I have read about them seems to me water in your back pack goes through a vessel to deionise sending pure water up through the hose and end of brush, is this the top and bottom of it?or do you think I am running before I can walk

Thanks
With respect to water, backpack, DI vessels I'd personally unsee and forget that idea. It will lead you to instant failure.

My question to you is as follows

Where do you live and what area do you consider yourself working in (do not post your address)

you need to understand that water quality in Devon, Scotland is soft and water in Leeds, London and Ireland is hard as hell.

you can't determine whether you want to use a DI vessel just because you've seen one you like.

This is why reading the forum will paint a clearer picture for you.

Spend two weeks to months taking notes and come back respectively when you grasp the facts of the trade

That's fair enough, it's exactly why I joined this forum, to learn and understand anything that could help me, even if I end up having to do it traditional which maybe that's what we're looking at now I know there's quite a bit to learn and also master techniques, I will be working round the sunderland area. 

According to Google we are soft 60ppm,i will start looking through a lot of past threads as I know all these questions will of been asked many times, 

According to Google we are soft 60ppm,i will start looking through a lot of past threads as I know all these questions will of been asked many times, 
What vehicle do you intend to use to carry the tools to do the job. Basically you need a backpack, £120ish, sack truck £30ish and a semi decent pole, £350ish. If your water is 60ppm then a Di vessel and some 25l drums. As a newbie you'll probably use around 50l's a house and do one every 40 minutes. In time you'll get that down to circa 20l's and 15 minutes, depending on size of house.

OK thanks for the info, I have a lwb high top transit I use for my rendering so space is no problem. I have loads of 25l drums too. Its food for thought. Deffinately not buy and your away by the sounds of things as what I was thinking,

OK thanks for the info, I have a lwb high top transit I use for my rendering so space is no problem. I have loads of 25l drums too. Its food for thought. Deffinately not buy and your away by the sounds of things as what I was thinking,
Swap all that gucci marshalltown & refina kit for window cleaning, it's more fun and your wrists and arms are well suited to the job.

you'll be able to use your spot board as a picnic table then

A think Al keep the rendering gear  ? a use a machine nowadays to save on the arms, they're ****** now off all the hanballing, you know the tools tho ?

Can't you ask the guy you've bought the work from?

Nothing wrong with backpack's, plenty of guys work day in day out with them. They're a good way to start, and will still be useful if you go ahead with a van system. 

Get your wallet out!

Pole CLX22 - good value and robust, perfect for a beginner, as you are suggesting traditional work as an alternative this should easily reach everything. Choose Quick-LoQ angle adapter, Sill Universal 26cm - medium soft, Standard 2mm Pencil Jets, Light Green PU Hot water hose- 10m & EZ snap Male plug.

Swivel - I love a swivel, wouldn't want to work with out one it makes awkward angled windows 100x easier, but they're personal preference.

Close Coupled Jet Hose Assembly - Essential with gardiners new jet capsules.

Extra Hose Length - Get 10m or 15m, It should stop you having to move the backpack for every window.

Gardiner Backpack - Probably the most popular backpack, reliable with a great battery life.

EZ Snap Hose Connectors - You'll need 1 female to fit to the back pack, 1 female for the extra length of pole hose, and a male for it too. The 6mm barb ones should fit everything. Get a couple of spares too.

'O' Clips - You'll want a few of these and spares, get 10. 9-10.5mm i think. Get the O-clip pliers too.

Univalve - Essential for water saving, very important with a backpack! 9-11mm O-clips, no hose.

Barrels - you'll use a lot more water to begin with, but think 25l per house - ordinary 3 bed semi.

DI Vessel - buying 2 is best if you are DI only, most efficient apparently! 

Resin - Tulsion MB115

TDS Meter - Make sure that waters pure! HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld.

@doug atkinson Will talk you through Resin, DI, etc.

That lot'll make a start, you might want a small sprayer for some degreaser, a ladder if theres lots of flat roof.......

For producing your pure water, youll want a big storage container, a couple of water butts whatever. then slowly fill them from the tap going through the DI Vessel's. then fill your barrels with the pure water from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, the lad I bought off is traditional, I was just looking for better options regarding first floor and thought it would be more economical, very detailed lowdown thanks, rough guesstimate on set up or should I do my own homework. Is 600 too little? Obviously Al take on board that cheap is **** 

you mean £600? 

I think that lot comes in between £650-700. But you'll be well equipped. 

BUT as you've bought the work from a traditional window cleaner I'd take a different approach. I would start cleaning Traditionally for a few months, then slowly swap the customers to WFP a couple a week. Trying to swap all the customers to WFP as a new cleaner taking over will be a recipe for disaster, and all the work you've paid for will be gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah understood, a don't mind an investment if its going to be beneficial just not thousands, sounds a good idea tbh if that's what they are used to

A think Al keep the rendering gear  ? a use a machine nowadays to save on the arms, they're ****** now off all the hanballing, you know the tools tho ?
Good old German invented machines, whats that K Rend being squirted on like toothpaste.

Yes I'm multi trade skilled. Come from a family or trades and skill sets

Can't you ask the guy you've bought the work from?

Nothing wrong with backpack's, plenty of guys work day in day out with them. They're a good way to start, and will still be useful if you go ahead with a van system. 

Get your wallet out!

Pole CLX22 - good value and robust, perfect for a beginner, as you are suggesting traditional work as an alternative this should easily reach everything. Choose Quick-LoQ angle adapter, Sill Universal 26cm - medium soft, Standard 2mm Pencil Jets, Light Green PU Hot water hose- 10m & EZ snap Male plug.

Swivel - I love a swivel, wouldn't want to work with out one it makes awkward angled windows 100x easier, but they're personal preference.

Close Coupled Jet Hose Assembly - Essential with gardiners new jet capsules.

Extra Hose Length - Get 10m or 15m, It should stop you having to move the backpack for every window.

Gardiner Backpack - Probably the most popular backpack, reliable with a great battery life.

EZ Snap Hose Connectors - You'll need 1 female to fit to the back pack, 1 female for the extra length of pole hose, and a male for it too. The 6mm barb ones should fit everything. Get a couple of spares too.

'O' Clips - You'll want a few of these and spares, get 10. 9-10.5mm i think. Get the O-clip pliers too.

Univalve - Essential for water saving, very important with a backpack! 9-11mm O-clips, no hose.

Barrels - you'll use a lot more water to begin with, but think 25l per house - ordinary 3 bed semi.

DI Vessel - buying 2 is best if you are DI only, most efficient apparently! 

Resin - Tulsion MB115

TDS Meter - Make sure that waters pure! HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld.

@doug atkinson Will talk you through Resin, DI, etc.

That lot'll make a start, you might want a small sprayer for some degreaser, a ladder if theres lots of flat roof.......

For producing your pure water, youll want a big storage container, a couple of water butts whatever. then slowly fill them from the tap going through the DI Vessel's. then fill your barrels with the pure water from there.
Thats 3 grand burnt already ?

Nah mate av had mine 5 years best thing a bought, k rends shite, probably the worst out there, a mainly spray my Basecoat on and do a silicone finish, far better system talking render on a window cleaning forum here mind ?tbh it's good to look through all these threads, my eyes have been opened thinking what the **** have I let myself in for, bought it without doing homework, am in now so got to make it work?

Nah mate av had mine 5 years best thing a bought, k rends shite, probably the worst out there, a mainly spray my Basecoat on and do a silicone finish, far better system talking render on a window cleaning forum here mind ?tbh it's good to look through all these threads, my eyes have been opened thinking what the **** have I let myself in for, bought it without doing homework, am in now so got to make it work?
Hope you bought it cheap ?

Back