Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Clever Idea

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's made me think!!! Would it pass it's MOT with something like that?? And what would the Police have to say about it....

Probably the police would say your nicked if found parked with it lifted up as would be in the eyes of the law an offense not displaying a number plate correctly.
No reason why it will not pass the MOT. When the vehicle is presented for an MOT, the number plate will be secure and held in-place in it's correct position.

Why would the Police be interested in this! It is no different from leaving your tailgate open on an estate/hatchback car.

Anyway......looks like the number plate falls back down and rests on the hoses when in use.

No reason why it will not pass the MOT. When the vehicle is presented for an MOT, the number plate will be secure and held in-place in it's correct position.
Why would the Police be interested in this! It is no different from leaving your tailgate open on an estate/hatchback car.

Anyway......looks like the number plate falls back down and rests on the hoses when in use.
He does make a few good points there!

Its okay but why not just have the ports on show as generally you get more for a van and system sold as a going concern than you do selling them seperately. It would be better if under the flap was just a hole (A hole with flaps!!! - sorry girls).

Seriously, if there was just a hole you could leave your hose in the van with the doors locked- I was tempted to put one in my van by using stainless steel rollers so the hose would not snag but at the time I didnt want to leave a hole, I never thought of a number plate on hinges.

I would say you need to have your number plate fixed to be honest!! Good idea if its not going to get you a ticket and points on your licence
Not sure about that not all trailer plates are fixed! they just slide into place! and as mentioned above springs would work just as they do on a house letterbox!

Wooden wedge at the bottom of the door would leave enough space for the hoses but still allow it to be locked ?
When I had my transit which was stolen I spent ages installing hot water, stainless checker plate on the walls and floor etc etc and had a swivel hosereel bolted to the floor with the idea of coming up with something that meant i could lock the van but pull the hose from its reel without snagging. I never designed anything that worked but what I thought of was cutting a hole in th evan floor and putting small metal rollers on all 4 sides so the hose could be pulled through. Unfortunately there was exhausts, sparre wheels in the way so I gave up.
Never thought of the bottom of the door as i didnt think there was enough room

just had a chat to the guy who makes these,there about six miles away from me,so i'm off on monday to get one and see what they are like,he has said he wants £70 for these,which i don't think is a bad price considering its all stainless,if their was enough intrest on the forum he may come down a bit on price for members what do you think?and how many would want one????????

just had a chat to the guy who makes these,there about six miles away from me,so i'm off on monday to get one and see what they are like,he has said he wants £70 for these,which i don't think is a bad price considering its all stainless,if their was enough intrest on the forum he may come down a bit on price for members what do you think?and how many would want one????????
he has said he wants £70 for these
Not a chance! most now have seen how they are made will make their own far cheaper! agree with bingos quote below! the guy has come up with a clever idea but has also shown how it is made so most will make their own!

Any one who pays £70.00 for one of them must be off their trolley

I don't think £70 is unreasonable for what it is. When you consider the equipment needed to make one and the time it takes without even considering his other overheads then £70 starts to look cheap.

Yes you can make your own but it probably won't be as good, will cost you maybe £20 in materials and take a couple of hours to make (your time's worth at least £30/hr). So it's now looking cheaper to buy assuming you don't make any mistakes and have the tools to make it.

If you look at the ebay link they are only £45 inc delivery :rolleyes:

Coming from a fabrication background, believe me £70 is not bad for stainless steel, you would have to make about a 100 units and still wouldnt make any real money

Tricky is right, my dad had a sheet metal firm and to buy a sheet of stainless costs a fortune, you need a guillotine, presses, stainless hinges plus time. a decent guage stainless steel is not something you can cut and shape easily without butchering it using cheap metal snips.

I asked my uncle to cut me a small peice of stainless from a sheet he already had lying around and he charged me £20, and that was my uncle

2m x 1m 14g (2mm) 304 2b stainless steel sheet would be about £125

You would have to draw it up for cad i would have them laser cut nice clean edges.

Folding on a pressbrake 6no folds

Tack & Tig Welding 6 welds about 150mm run each

Acid to clean up welds

hinges stainless not cheap

Assembly

it soon adds up

Coming from a fabrication background, believe me £70 is not bad for stainless steel, you would have to make about a 100 units and still wouldnt make any real money
You can make these up from cut offs! and am sure there are plenty of welding shops with scrap metal lying around! go into a welding shop and i sure they will knock you one of those up using scrap metal for about £30

You can make these up from cut offs! and am sure there are plenty of welding shops with scrap metal lying around! go into a welding shop and i sure they will knock you one of those up using scrap metal for about £30
Really!!!!!!!! for cash through back door maybe

Back