Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cofirm Information On Service.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah they do! Yes mr customer thats £130 for your Gutters, fascia and soffits. It will Include a free window clean... and the best part is the window clean's a freebie so don't go calling me back for any spots ???

Like the bars in Spain and Greece.

I prefer to look them in the whites of the eyes. I only ever walk away to quote for commercial. People agree to whatever if you're in front of them. Roll the dice and take the gamble you get the price right ?‍♂️
Yeah P4dstar . I prefer a Personal quote.

Right Next To The Client. That way, you Can Pretty Much Get The Work???.

I don't have any problem looking them in the eye. But some jobs need a bit more thought. The meterage might be straight forward enough but there can be complications: Access difficulties, long awkward reaches over extensions, bit further from base. Some jobs can be huge, country houses. We might be very busy on the day of looking. In those cases, we'll take extra notes and discuss it ourselves over a brew when the working day is done, and get back to the client. Maybe we'll have taken some photos to look over.

Most quotes can be done in a few minutes but some need a bit more thought. No gambling involved. ?
Definately Davy G????. I like it chap.

Most quotes can be done in a few minutes but some need a bit more thought. No gambling involved. ?
When I first started out I would have been more inclined to agree. Nowadays if it looks like a PITA I'd just whack some insurance on there and go for it. I quoted someone £150 for GFS on a house the other day because it could be an hour, it could be 3, better safe than sorry.

When I first started out I would have been more inclined to agree. Nowadays if it looks like a PITA I'd just whack some insurance on there and go for it. I quoted someone £150 for GFS on a house the other day because it could be an hour, it could be 3, better safe than sorry.
We're never that random with time estimates that an hour could turn out to be three. We might be out by +\-30 minutes in a time estimate for a big empty and wash down.

I wouldn't run my business that casually. Our day is planned with great care. Every job is timed and the time recorded for future use on return visits and to confirm whether we priced it right. We do some big washes at two or three year intervals. Having the information on file makes it quicker and easier to price for inflation. Special notes we might have kept on how we did the work can also help on more complicated jobs.

We all have our own methods.

I wouldn't run my business that casually. Our day is planned with great care. Every job is timed and the time recorded for future use on return visits and to confirm whether we priced it right. We do some big washes at two or three year intervals. Having the information on file makes it quicker and easier to price for inflation. Special notes we might have kept on how we did the work can also help on more complicated jobs.
Totally agree but I'm having problems with the volume of work coming in. The time-wasters are up to all dodges to get a hold of me. I don't like letting anyone down but now I'm not returning their calls and not even going to see the jobs. Its just that I have more lucrative work on the go and realising business means business and I can't be bought no more. If I get asked to price a hard job then I just double the price and hope I don't get it, if I do then at least its worthwhile. ?

We're never that random with time estimates that an hour could turn out to be three. We might be out by +\-30 minutes in a time estimate for a big empty and wash down.

We all have our own methods.
I am a bit laid back about it to be fair ??‍♂️ The property I was talking about had those holes in the soffits, all over the house and they were real dirty. I’ve experienced them where they just keep bleeding with dirt for ages. In general I’d agree with half hour either side. Our methods probably ain’t that different really.

PITA ? Mate..??‍♂️.

I used to think like that, at the moment its all just extra time. I'm tryna recruit and I'm sure once I've got someone trained up I'll be into doing extras again.
Hhmm - P4dstar, youll recruit that person. You have to see if they'll fit first, if not, then someone else, etc, etc,...

Hhmm - P4dstar, youll recruit that person. You have to see if they'll fit first, if not, then someone else, etc, etc,...
It's a long old slog man. I mentioned to a customer that I was going to recruit, they recommended their son. He came for an interview, had a start date and the day before he said he had a job interview on what would have been day 2. His dad (not the customer who suggested him) had arranged an interview where he worked. Put a proper advert out and so far I've had one guy who can't do Monday or Tuesday and needs to be finished by 3 on Friday and another guy who accepted the job and then text the day before he was due to start that his mums partner had passed away and he needed to go away for 2 weeks... So back to the drawing board currently.

It's a long old slog man. I mentioned to a customer that I was going to recruit, they recommended their son. He came for an interview, had a start date and the day before he said he had a job interview on what would have been day 2. His dad (not the customer who suggested him) had arranged an interview where he worked. Put a proper advert out and so far I've had one guy who can't do Monday or Tuesday and needs to be finished by 3 on Friday and another guy who accepted the job and then text the day before he was due to start that his mums partner had passed away and he needed to go away for 2 weeks... So back to the drawing board currently.
Sounds like you are either trying to employ teenagers or that's who the job is appealing too? Somehow you need to appeal to someone a little older I think but that might cost more? You need someone who is reliable and is happy to work in all weathers. 

I am surprised you haven't had more applicants. We keep being told there are xxx number of redundancies etc but no one applying for a job?????

I am surprised you haven't had more applicants. We keep being told there are xxx number of redundancies etc but no one applying for a job?????
This is what I was thinking, we kept getting told folk are fighting for work tooth and nail out there!

Thats trash man, sorry you're having a time trying to find someone. ?

Sounds like you are either trying to employ teenagers or that's who the job is appealing too? Somehow you need to appeal to someone a little older I think but that might cost more? You need someone who is reliable and is happy to work in all weathers. 

Hired someone this evening. He's a firefighter who works 24 hours on and 72 hours rest. I may make use of the kickstarter scheme when it starts to take a second person on too, there will be a role for them if they work at it for the 6 months.

The job advert was professional, I worked for a time as a recruitment consultant so I know that was solid. Some of the applicants were just too over qualified, there have been plenty of them. I would say 40 applicants so far, without checking. One guy had worked in aviation for 15 years, lots of experience managing the runways at airports, as soon as that picks up he'd be off. There were a few chefs, again once the hospitality industry picks up they'd be off. The hire previous to today was in his 30's, only couple of youngsters have applied. I'm not offering minimum wage but then I'm not offering a fortune either.

This is what I was thinking, we kept getting told folk are fighting for work tooth and nail out there!

Thats trash man, sorry you're having a time trying to find someone. ?
It's alright, I'll just sub you in. You can manage the commute right? ?

The job advert was professional, I worked for a time as a recruitment consultant so I know that was solid. Some of the applicants were just too over qualified, there have been plenty of them. I would say 40 applicants so far, without checking. One guy had worked in aviation for 15 years, lots of experience managing the runways at airports, as soon as that picks up he'd be off. There were a few chefs, again once the hospitality industry picks up they'd be off. The hire previous to today was in his 30's, only couple of youngsters have applied.
That's the issue these days as to why some people are out of work, employers across the board aren't willing to take on a over qualified person as they say they won't stay forever this was been discussed on the radio or tv the other week, but these are the people with mortgages and families who will want to work far more than some younger one's. 

The job advert was professional, I worked for a time as a recruitment consultant so I know that was solid. Some of the applicants were just too over qualified, there have been plenty of them. I would say 40 applicants so far, without checking. One guy had worked in aviation for 15 years, lots of experience managing the runways at airports, as soon as that picks up he'd be off. There were a few chefs, again once the hospitality industry picks up they'd be off. The hire previous to today was in his 30's, only couple of youngsters have applied. I'm not offering minimum wage but then I'm not offering a fortune either.
Alright fair enough, that is pretty brutal then! Though I would have gone with the chef on the provision he was in charge of lunch each day. Missed a trick there! ?

It's alright, I'll just sub you in. You can manage the commute right? ?
Mate, I'll happily sub in if you pay enough. The issue you're gonna have is if you ever take the work back, your customers will complain the quality has dropped. ?

That's the issue these days as to why some people are out of work, employers across the board aren't willing to take on a over qualified person as they say they won't stay forever this was been discussed on the radio or tv the other week, but these are the people with mortgages and families who will want to work far more than some younger one's. 
People very quickly forget how happy they were to be given something.

I'll give you an example... I was kicked out of home at 16. A guy moved into the sheltered housing I lived in. Previously he was sleeping in his car. 18 years old, his family didn't want anything to do with him. The car wouldn't run and eventually the council came to collect it because the neighbours complained. He was so grateful and so happy to have somewhere to live. He wouldn't hear a bad word said against the staff there. Fast forward 6 months they had to threaten to kick him out because his flat was a H&S issue, you couldn't see the floor for clothes, he had half eaten food everywhere, it was like an episode of hoarders. He cleaned up but he spent the rest of his time there bending the rules to breaking point, directly saying "You said I shouldn't do X so I'm not doing X I'm doing Y instead"

This is what an overqualified person does in a job. At first they're super happy, then they slowly forget that and start to drift away. Either through boredom or through wanting to better themselves. I have experienced this in previous jobs too.

Latest Posts

Back