Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

commercial gutters

WCF

Help Support WCF:

B

boarcity

heres a question for any of you that has done Several clean outs on this kind of gutter

do the gutters always slope down to the downpipe like house gutters? i ask because last week had to do a gutter clean out and it was a helluva job , mostly because it didnt slopeView attachment 4994 down towards the downpipe,if anything it sloped away,meaning the gutter was full of a gloopey mess some places the water lay 6 inches deep . we cleaned the gutters as best we could but the customer isnt happy cos the gutter isnt totally cleaned out

i hadnt realized that the fall of the gutter was wrong [in my opinion] before starting the job

Last edited:
I think that's quite common boar...

How did the customer know it wasn't totally clean? Is it low down?

I think that's quite common boar...
How did the customer know it wasn't totally clean? Is it low down?
they sent someone up ,a few days later to check

i then got a nasty phone call from them, and a photo of a gutter with water in - i explained what i think the problem is but they didnt bleve me and are possibly going to try to wriggle out of paying.

but i hold a few trump cards

Yeah just explain that it's defo a problem with the angle of the gutter, otherwise there'd be no water in it....

in hindsight i should have known summat was up. on arrival the plants were growing out the top of the gutter like triffids , 3ft high! yet the building is only 1 yr old. What makes it a bad situation is that it belongs to a building firm,its there new HQ -View attachment 4996 id think they themselves put it up

Nice looking building!
how much would u clean once a month outside windows + that orange structure?

i ask cos i didnt get it over a yr ago after doing the builders clean on the place in and out . then they get in touch with the gutters-should have learnt my lesson a year ago!

Damn Jake, I'm gonna start subbing for you, the eternal glass and orange cladding (visible in the picture) look like about an hours work or less and the forecourt looks obstruction free so nice and simple. So I would have gone in at £60

You were in the wrong (IMO) Boars. Once stuck into the job and gone as far ass you could you should have snapped a bunch of pics on your phone and walked in to see whom ever in charge to show them the problem, take them outside and point out what you are talking about.

I'm guessing (and purely guessing) from the way you wrote this, that you turned up, looked busy, removed what you could, handed in a bill and left without words. <<< That is all just assumption by the way.

I would have dragged someone up a ladder to show them.

And in short, yes, all guttering should fall towards the downpipe otherwise it's pointless.

i wasnt sure if the angle of the gutter was meant to be how it was . id not done that type of gutter before .

today i started looking at other commercial gutters on new buildings and saw one exactly the same, triffid like plants growing high from gutter. this leads me to think it too is full of standing water

remnds me of aa gutter job i done few months ago semi house they said water was flowing over badly

i went up not a thing in them looked at next doors ajoinig gutters and they were full so i went and pointed it out to them was only out 10 mins then she went to give me the 40 pound i quoted and i said no i couldn take it as i ddidn do anything .. she wen in next door demanded they get them cleaned and i went in and suggested they be cleaned

i said doesnt have to be me but anyone so i left my card

that was handled well as i poited out the problem to her there and then

i do it on most gutter jobs were i see ***** that have downpipes put up with bloodlt nails lol

one thing i do know is im goin to bite my lip till i get paid and then [due to how i was spoken to today ] will be tellin the lady in charge of works ,

**** off you ugly coont,dont you ever eveR EVER ring me up again

MY missus didnt like hearing this,says im gonna be in big trub if i do, but i told her sometimes you got to make things final properly - it takes a lot to push me over the edge and this lady has got it coming!

The thing is domestic guttering is usually spruced up on an annual basis by diligent homeowners, commercial guttering gets done when it's so blatantly dire that the manager finally caves in and orders it to be done.

Commercial guttering is much wider so the 'visible' build up of **** takes longer, by which time the davida plants are well on their way, they grow so fast it's crazy and they need the smallest amount of dirt to take hold.

At the end of the day though the sole point of gutters is to flow to a downpipe, otherwise they may as well not bother putting up gutters.

dont be doing that bite ur lip jog on and have a bloody chill pill u might be finished with them but they can bad mouth u so much just remember word of mouth spreads faster than light

one thing i do know is im goin to bite my lip till i get paid and then [due to how i was spoken to today ] will be tellin the lady in charge of works ,
**** off you ugly coont,dont you ever eveR EVER ring me up again

MY missus didnt like hearing this,says im gonna be in big trub if i do, but i told her sometimes you got to make things final properly - it takes a lot to push me over the edge and this lady has got it coming!
She obviously doesn't need you as you didnt get the original contract, you are not the only window cleaner in town, once you tell here to F**k off in an angry fashion when she is at the pub on Friday with her girlfriends that all work in other establishments that may want a window cleaner, the topic will be that wan£er that was nasty to her, and you and your company sink deeper on the sh*t list in your town.

I really do struggle to see why you are so hell bent on self destruction, if you are going to take it all so personally perhaps a service industry is not the place for your frame of mind.

Me I just smile, take the payment and the next time I say 'sorry luv, you'll have to try elsewhere, you're not the type of custom I am after right now'

It is polite but leaves them thinking 'WTF? I just got turned down by a window cleaner?' I reckon that messes with them more.

The thing is domestic guttering is usually spruced up on an annual basis by diligent homeowners, commercial guttering gets done when it's so blatantly dire that the manager finally caves in and orders it to be done.
Commercial guttering is much wider so the 'visible' build up of **** takes longer, by which time the davida plants are well on their way, they grow so fast it's crazy and they need the smallest amount of dirt to take hold.

At the end of the day though the sole point of gutters is to flow to a downpipe, otherwise they may as well not bother putting up gutters.
there was 4 of us spent 3 hours on the gutters got 90% of everything out but not every bit of dirty water due to the gutter angle holding it in . then it rained over the weekend i spose it now looks bad full of water. i explained this to the lady in question ,course she just thinks im snowing her and she just wanted me to return and "clean it all out"

iv reckon its best to do nowt now

its not self destruction, if im wronged i usually at least try and make the offender upset n cry if possible ,then im never bitter afterwards once iv got it off my chest .

lads who work for me were so angry bout this they flogged their guts out on the job , now wanted to return and wipe the windows with the gutter dirt at the very least .

Did you knock 10% off the bill as you have admitted you only did 90% of the job?

I hear what you are saying but all the customer (with no experience in cleaning gutters) sees is that a job that now looks half arsed has been done so why should she pay.

Honestly in your shoes, I would go back with a bin full of rags, soak all the water out of the gutter and then get one of their employees on a ladder next to you with a bucket of water to demonstrate how the gutters just don't work.

You will have shown good faith by making it right, and once you have taken time to talk to her in a clam professional manner you might see her attitude towards you change and possibly more work come your way.

You have to put your hands up and admit that not doing a COMPLETE job and then asking for the money is a bit of a cheek. IMO

Latest Posts

Back