Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Current vac of choice?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thought I would update you guys on my decision as to what vac I have bought. I decided to go for the 1700 watt panther with the alloy poles and I tryed it out on friday for the first time and have got to say I`m very impressed. Its so cleverly designed and so quiet. Very light and it works an absolute treat. Its absolutely kicks my old max blast into submission.

Thought I would update you guys on my decision as to what vac I have bought. I decided to go for the 1700 watt panther with the alloy poles and I tryed it out on friday for the first time and have got to say I`m very impressed. Its so cleverly designed and so quiet. Very light and it works an absolute treat. Its absolutely kicks my old max blast into submission.
What was your reasoning for not going for the 3000w one? I've got the Skyvac Atom and I'm now considering a 3000w one as the power just isn't enough on difficult jobs. I had one job on Friday full of long pine needles, I estimated 1.5 hours but it took 3, by the end it was barely picking up anything. I think wider pipes with the option of more power could have made a big difference.

Just wondering your reasoning on why you would not spend the extra few hundred to have the more powerful one?

What was your reasoning for not going for the 3000w one? I've got the Skyvac Atom and I'm now considering a 3000w one as the power just isn't enough on difficult jobs. I had one job on Friday full of long pine needles, I estimated 1.5 hours but it took 3, by the end it was barely picking up anything. I think wider pipes with the option of more power could have made a big difference.

Just wondering your reasoning on why you would not spend the extra few hundred to have the more powerful one?
I think its probably a bit over kill for my requirements. 99 Percent of my gutter clearing is domestic. Rarely over 2 storeys. I like the lightweight compactness of the panther and the cyclonic port really helps. My max blast was 3000 watts and was really heavy. To be honest I havn`t tryed it out yet on pine needles. That will be interesting. You say you have the atom, have you tryed the blow feature yet on needles?

I think its probably a bit over kill for my requirements. 99 Percent of my gutter clearing is domestic. Rarely over 2 storeys. I like the lightweight compactness of the panther and the cyclonic port really helps. My max blast was 3000 watts and was really heavy. To be honest I havn`t tryed it out yet on pine needles. That will be interesting. You say you have the atom, have you tryed the blow feature yet on needles?
I've not tried it on the needles as I didn't want to blow them all over the house and lower roofs / paths etc. The one I did on Friday was even trickier as I don't clean the windows so I was trying my best not to dirty the windows.

I've found I have to use the blow to unblock the pipe regularly, the entry port isn't the side entry type so it blocks easily and either that blocks or it's some debris in the pipe. The blow feature is very good at dislodging bits of mortar that get stuck in the pipe.

I just feel for needles a more power vac could suck a lot more through, especially with a wider pipe. Also on jobs where turf is growing out with a long carpet, well I think the extra power would hang onto it and allow me to pull it out. The Atom drops things like that quite easily and each time it drops you're left with trying to get the suction back on the piece you're trying to pull out which costs time and energy. I'd imagine the extra power would keep that suction until you either pulled the piece out or turned off the machine.

Just an update on my new best friend (the panther). Had it for two weeks now and it hasn`t really put a foot wrong. It has only blocked once or twice maybe. Superb bit of kit. Its so light and portable and although it only has 1700 watts it just seems to eat through the dirt no problem. Those alloy poles are just brilliant. They just feel so solid and are not that particulary heavy. You can really chomp down on those clods.

I can`t speak for the Atom as I have nether used one but if you are after a budget vac for domestic work then I can highly recommend one of these baby`s.

We have a skyvac interceptor it’s an awesome beast but not cheap their elite poles are good but at 50 feet plus are quite bendy compared to the carbon fibre tubes ones I had before . You do have to treat them with respect . I also have the rotating cuff from GVS @Julia Martin this is an awesome piece of kit and I would thoroughly recommend it , I don’t have any experience with their vacs but think their kit is good quality and I haven’t Hurd of any bad reports if I was after a mains powered vac I would certainly take a very good look at them they are a fair bit cheaper than skyvac stuff . Having said that skyvac ( spinner clean) customers service is second to none .
So do we, hopefully yours doesn’t shake itself to bits like ours, the parts are crazy expensive…

What problems have you had with the intercepter ? Apparently they have only had problems with 5 out of 2,000 sold
Drum has started letting air through, rust around the bottom seam, we have taped the whole drum up to prevent any more getting in, they want £550 + vat for a bare drum!! And the internals of the vacuum pump has smashed it’self to bits and the outside casing have cracked on the bolt areas… £1440 + vat for a new pump!!!! Not happy

Drum has started letting air through, rust around the bottom seam, we have taped the whole drum up to prevent any more getting in, they want £550 + vat for a bare drum!! And the internals of the vacuum pump has smashed it’self to bits and the outside casing have cracked on the bolt areas… £1440 + vat for a new pump!!!! Not happy
Ok mine has had the veins inside the blower break up twice just had it back last week cost £650 to put right but there customer service is excellent. How old is yours ?..

Ok mine has had the veins inside the blower break up twice just had it back last week cost £650 to put right but there customer service is excellent. How old is yours ?..
Mines Three years old,but only really used it a couple of seasons,I’m guessing it’s the same problem, by vac pump I mean blower (where the fan blades are housed) the guys who are looking af mine says the housing is also broken, again I’m guessing where the machine has been constantly shaken has weakened the bolt plate’s causing them to crack!

Mines Three years old,but only really used it a couple of seasons,I’m guessing it’s the same problem, by vac pump I mean blower (where the fan blades are housed) the guys who are looking af mine says the housing is also broken, again I’m guessing where the machine has been constantly shaken has weakened the bolt plate’s causing them to crack!
Ok this is interesting they told me they have had only 5 with problems out of 2000 sold I bought one of the original 12 that were sold , not sure how old it is but must be 4-5 years ? We do a lot of gutters but it’s looked after I wouldn’t have expected to have there kinds of issues with a quality product

Yes but for a machine that costs nearly 5 k it’s not expensive , especially when you look at what we earn with it in a year
I’m going to have to disagree… if you bought a car for £5k and had two £650 bills for the same fault I’m sure you’d call it a dog!
Ok this is interesting they told me they have had only 5 with problems out of 2000 sold I bought one of the original 12 that were sold , not sure how old it is but must be 4-5 years ? We do a lot of gutters but it’s looked after I wouldn’t have expected to have there kinds of issues with a quality product
im sure they would say that, but I’m not so sure I believe that stat! I’m not knocking the machine when it works it is a beast… but with the crazy price for parts and how easy they break I’m beginning to think it’s not a quality product.

I’m going to have to disagree… if you bought a car for £5k and had two £650 bills for the same fault I’m sure you’d call it a dog!

im sure they would say that, but I’m not so sure I believe that stat! I’m not knocking the machine when it works it is a beast… but with the crazy price for parts and how easy they break I’m beginning to think it’s not a quality product.
I only paid for the second repair they paid for it the first time although it was out of warranty so felt that was very good , I must admit I am a bit concerned about how long it will be before it happens again .

I only paid for the second repair they paid for it the first time although it was out of warranty so felt that was very good , I must admit I am a bit concerned about how long it will be before it happens again .
Sell it whilst it's working and buy a predator

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Inteceptor, but I've had mine over 2 years, at least, done £100k+ of gutter cleaning with it and it's only cost me a few new filters and a £125 service. Wouldn't hesitate recommending it or buying another when it needs to be replaced.
I do however clean it thoroughly after we have finished using it and it's kept in the garage so dry and relatively warm.
On Monday put the choke on and it started 1st pull, hadn't been used since 1st week December

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Inteceptor, but I've had mine over 2 years, at least, done £100k+ of gutter cleaning with it and it's only cost me a few new filters and a £125 service. Wouldn't hesitate recommending it or buying another when it needs to be replaced.
I do however clean it thoroughly after we have finished using it and it's kept in the garage so dry and relatively warm.
On Monday put the choke on and it started 1st pull, hadn't been used since 1st week December
Yes I tend to treat mine very similarly to yourself it’s always cleaned and serviced regularly, I love the thing it’s an awesome vac but I am a bit concerned about the reliability of it , both times I have had issues with mine it suffers from bad vibration and extremely noisy before it starts seizing up with the veins in the blower , worrying when a long way from home and many jobs to get done .

Yes I tend to treat mine very similarly to yourself it’s always cleaned and serviced regularly, I love the thing it’s an awesome vac but I am a bit concerned about the reliability of it , both times I have had issues with mine it suffers from bad vibration and extremely noisy before it starts seizing up with the veins in the blower , worrying when a long way from home and many jobs to get done .
We carry spare Industrial and would only need to hire a suitable genie.

Latest Posts

Back