Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers Not Paying

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No, it wont, certainly not for established chaps like us. For noobs on the other hand this could be half a days pay or more.  

I do however agree that in the the case of the deceased blocking the hearse in with a sign written van till you get paid could be a little extreme.... even with my collection policy. ?
I drove my hearse on the m25 yesterday.

Got nicked for undertaking ?

Had an unpleasant customer ( now ex customer) yesterday, I’m still angry! I decided to sleep on it last night before doing anything as I think I perform better on a clear head but might take another nights sleep as I’m still frustrated with it.

The story begins , I'm on a job and recieved a phone call from an unfamiliar number, she said she was the mother of the woman who’s property I had just cleaned,  Said her daughter  was in Tenerife and no longer wanted me to clean her windows,

following the call I text the actual customer see the following message exchange below.

the customer had recently signed up to GoCardless on a four weekly clean the plan she was on is actually called “four weekly clean” an important point I think as I was exactly four weeks from the previous clean she paid for and now says she won’t be paying for. I have a response in mind and am considering small claims court. I don’t care about the money as it’s only £15 ( don’t even know if small claims court take such small claims) but it’s not about the money in fact 30 mis after I picked up a quote for £13 job that is a quicker and easier but for me that’s not the point,  I don’t take cr@p off anyone and the line needs to be drawn.

opinions please on how to draw the line?

219CF9FA-AA05-45B1-9E4A-27CE512C18E1.jpeg

C3A9DA79-C6F3-456D-ACCE-71DE906781FD.jpeg

213F1FBC-4E9A-4849-91B2-7C4B95559E49.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that’s annoying. Personally for me I’d leave it, and wouldn’t pursue the £15. But that’s just me. Not saying that’s what you should do.

But Yes I think the small claims will cover £15 if you wanted to

Yes that’s annoying. Personally for me I’d leave it, and wouldn’t pursue the £15. But that’s just me. Not saying that’s what you should do.

But Yes I think the small claims will cover £15 if you wanted to

I’m usually of a similar mindset and just crack on with it. This one has got under my skin though, probably because of the nonsense, rudeness and questioning my integrity and a few lies that were told by them that I couldn’t be bothered explaining ?.

Cheers @RWCleaning for you take on it.

I’m usually of a similar mindset and just crack on with it. This one has got under my skin though, probably because of the nonsense, rudeness and questioning my integrity and a few lies that were told by them that I couldn’t be bothered explaining ?.

Cheers @RWCleaning for you take on it.
Go for it then. You’ll get the money eventually.

I wouldn't have engaged in the pantomime style of it was raining no it wasn't raining yes it was raining no it wasn't raining.

I would have sent them a message saying it was not raining however that using pure water for window cleaning is perfectly acceptable in the rain as rain water is pure etc.

This in my mind is a lot less antagonistic than a back and forth about what time of day the rain was falling.

Having educated the client as to how pure waterworks for window cleaning if they still had an issue and refuse to settle the bill then I would progress with taking it to the small claims court for reimbursement .

I wouldn't have engaged in the pantomime style of it was raining no it wasn't raining yes it was raining no it wasn't raining.

I would have sent them a message saying it was not raining however that using pure water for window cleaning is perfectly acceptable in the rain as rain water is pure etc.

This in my mind is a lot less antagonistic than a back and forth about what time of day the rain was falling.

Having educated the client as to how pure waterworks for window cleaning if they still had an issue and refuse to settle the bill then I would progress with taking it to the small claims court for reimbursement .

Yes I tend to agree with you, well not the pantomime bit...  I explain to every customer I add to my list that I clean in all reasonable weather and offer a rain guarantee she knew that as it’s on my slips I could have responded differently but am not unhappy with what I said but I think I would probably feel better had I not replied other than my initial message then I could have just sent a bill for the existing debt. And start the SCC from there.

i bit mind, i find it  hard not too when my integrity is challenged, I was triggered ? 

She may have only wanted a couple of cleans and used this as an excuse to get shut of you and pull the same trick on someone else down the line. You could just go round her house and doorstep her( people can be less confrontational when not hiding behind a phone) and pay up.

I couldn't be bothered chasing a small amount through the courts,as she may also use those texts to prove you cleaned her windows in the rain when she requested you didn't.

There's plenty of good customers out there to find pal.

This is one of reasons why I just prefer not to work when it's raining. Or those horrible on and off days. You just get **** over it. Just a personal choice.

This is one of reasons why I just prefer not to work when it's raining. Or those horrible on and off days. You just get **** over it. Just a personal choice.

As much of a pain as it can be, in the long run cleaning in all reasonable weather roots out the customers that you don’t want. I envisage in a few years time an established round of trained customers that pay electronically and are low maintenance. The problem is it takes a long time to get that even when you have a full round. I’m glad I’m shot of her even though she has done my nut in with her attitude. One less nutter to deal with one step closer to the dream.

oh, and it wasn’t raining! ? 

She may have only wanted a couple of cleans and used this as an excuse to get shut of you and pull the same trick on someone else down the line. You could just go round her house and doorstep her( people can be less confrontational when not hiding behind a phone) and pay up.

I couldn't be bothered chasing a small amount through the courts,as she may also use those texts to prove you cleaned her windows in the rain when she requested you didn't.

There's plenty of good customers out there to find pal.

Yea I did door step and her teenage  son said she was on a training course, I raised my eyebrow as I’d been told by the ‘mother’ that she was in Tenerife. The plot thickens... 

Yep, Plenty of good customers out there just seam to have to wade through the idiots to find them.

Tally-ho!

cleaning in all reasonable weather roots out the customers that you don’t want

I'll clean in reasonable weather. And if I NEED to, I'll clean in the rain. Just not heavy rain. Just cos I don't like getting wet ? But yeah mate, I agree , it does root them out. Sounds like you're best off without that customer. It would of been another excuse somewhere down the line with those kinds.

You can’t be everywhere on a sunny day, we are in the uk, It rains on 1 out of every 3 days ?‍♂️
I don’t understand the lads who duck & dive, hiding in the van waiting for it to stop, it’s lost time and darkness comes early. Once we are out just plough on whatever happens and the sooner you get home to a hot bath & a brew with all cleans completed, and miss the rush hour if you’re lucky.
I am happier cleaning in the rain, you use noticeably less water, it takes less time especially where conny roofs and fsg’s are concerned, and theres no sun glaring in to your eyes. Wouldn’t trad in it though.
I don’t think we’ve ever had a complaint from a clean done on a rainy day. The few complaints we have are at the height of summer when it’s 25 degrees plus. lousy days are also good for gutters i find, because if its raining you can tell straight away which downpipes are blocked, where the problems are, and it’s much quicker getting the job done whereas in summer the mud turns to concrete.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Building a round you will come across these types of customers. Eventually they run out of windows cleaners because no one will clean their windows. I have one near me, don't know how many window cleaners they have went through, usually to do with not paying.

Theres non payers and then theres that.

Normally i would just issue a debt letter, but i couldnt have coped with that attitude id have lost it.

Funny thing is i had one kind of similar......i had cleaned her house 3-4 times and she payed online no probs. Anyway next clean i turned up at 9am and cleaned, i knew someone was in as car was there and a light on, but didnt want to disturb so cleaned, posted note and went.

10 mins after i had gone i got a text from said house, "we would like to cancel window cleaning, thanks". I said, you could have said when i text you last night as ive just cleaned yours.

"i know i was in" was the reply. I just said ok no problem thanks (couldnt be arsed to argue)

A couple of weeks later i text her for payment, "im not paying for that you left my windows all wet" ...i said you must be joking, why didnt you say anything or come out and i would have explained. so i went on to explain wfp cleaning.

not paying was her reply, i thought i was paying for a proper job not half a job!

cheeky cow, she got a debt letter straight away and eventually coughed up...

But some people are just beyond belief, thankfully im getting to the point now where ive got rid of the vast majority of messers

Normally i would just issue a debt letter, but i couldnt have coped with that attitude id have lost it.

Funny thing is i had one kind of similar......i had cleaned her house 3-4 times and she payed online no probs. Anyway next clean i turned up at 9am and cleaned, i knew someone was in as car was there and a light on, but didnt want to disturb so cleaned, posted note and went.

10 mins after i had gone i got a text from said house, "we would like to cancel window cleaning, thanks". I said, you could have said when i text you last night as ive just cleaned yours.

"i know i was in" was the reply. I just said ok no problem thanks (couldnt be arsed to argue)

A couple of weeks later i text her for payment, "im not paying for that you left my windows all wet" ...i said you must be joking, why didnt you say anything or come out and i would have explained. so i went on to explain wfp cleaning.

not paying was her reply, i thought i was paying for a proper job not half a job!

But some people are just beyond belief, thankfully im getting to the point now where ive got rid of the vast majority of messers
A kick in the pi5s flaps is well in order 

We do her some stupid responses from total idiot customers on occasion.

Like most people here I don't put up with it anymore.

After I clean I email an invoice and give the customer seven days to pay, which imo is plenty of time - They asked for my services not the other way around.

If for what ever reason they don't pay I will send statements via email showing the outstanding amount asking them to pay or let me know when they paid. (it's a polite way of letting them think you missed it)

If they still haven't paid by the next time I am down their road I clean all the neighbours and leave their windows.

After that I get the wife to call and try to clear the debt for me.

They pay and then one of two things happens.

They cancel because they wanted to pay when they felt fit and not the other way around or they need to be chased every month in which case I drop them.

Collections is from an era when online banking wasn't available. It's unacceptable imo for customers not to pay us on time anymore - Lord knows it costs a lot more to run a window cleaning business nowadays than it did twenty years ago, I need the money I worked for.

Unless pre arranged with the customer then they get two cleans. After that they get a payment outstanding reminder. If still no payment or at least contact to arrange payment by the next due clean they get dropped and replaced. Far too busy to be chasing customers that don’t want the service. Very rare that this happens though. 

Back