Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Death of a Gardiners Extreme

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gardiners all the way for me. I had a delivery last week and a T piece was broken. No big deal as it's only a couple of quid to buy. I took a picture of it and emailed it to them. A replacement is in the post. Can't say fairer than that ?

P.S. I think Mr G is ace. What would the industry do without him?

Gardiners all the way for me. I had a delivery last week and a T piece was broken. No big deal as it's only a couple of quid to buy. I took a picture of it and emailed it to them. A replacement is in the post. Can't say fairer than that ?

^^^ WTF happened there? 
Jeez, why don’t you just whiz round there now and stick your tongue straight down the back of his trousers ?

If he’s still rockin’ the tache, why go elsewhere?

I wonder how many transactions they do and what their percentage growth is, over the last few years?

It’ll be impossible to please everyone all the time. At least Mr G will take any issues head on.

the pens are still ****.

I got two of them keyring things with my last order. I must be a special customer ?

Jeez, why don’t you just whiz round there now and stick your tongue straight down the back of his trousers ?

Mr G, is on holiday so not possible. I'm down in Cornwall in October though ?

^^^ WTF happened there? 
Hmmm sounds like you’re sat on the fence there @Tuffers haha

Looking at greens picture the exact same thing happened my slx pole a month or so ago . It’s years old and as Alex said about the tape mine also hasn’t been replaced . It’s still ok to work with though. I think I’ll give my poles a good clean this weekend 

Paying 600 quid you would expect a bit more than 6 months out of it though.

I know Gardiner's stress you must clean them and pamper them religiously but really you would think they wouldn't be so thin and fragile for the money they cost.

They have obviously compromised durability for weight but you would think they could be made harder wearing.

I wouldn't mind one but from what I've read the slx is much better value.

Paying 600 quid you would expect a bit more than 6 months out of it though.

I know Gardiner's stress you must clean them and pamper them religiously but really you would think they wouldn't be so thin and fragile for the money they cost.

They have obviously compromised durability for weight but you would think they could be made harder wearing.

I wouldn't mind one but from what I've read the slx is much better value.
The Extreme isn’t meant to be the go to pole, though, That’s the SLX. The SLX is the standard pole, all others are variations which include trade offs, the Extreme no exception. 

The Extreme is designed to be as light as possible, but this makes it more fragile and this is very much outlined by Gardiner as such. 

Put it this way:

A Ferrari 488 is a road car. However, you wouldn’t expect it to do very well down a old, potholed country road. 

Conversely, a Land Rover Defender, also a road car, would do very well, but would then fall over on a race track. 

If you want to do both, you buy something like a Golf GTI, an all round road car.  

The Extreme isn’t meant to be the go to pole, though, That’s the SLX. The SLX is the standard pole, all others are variations which include trade offs, the Extreme no exception. 

The Extreme is designed to be as light as possible, but this makes it more fragile and this is very much outlined by Gardiner as such. 

Put it this way:

A Ferrari 488 is a road car. However, you wouldn’t expect it to do very well down a old, potholed country road. 

Conversely, a Land Rover Defender, also a road car, would do very well, but would then fall over on a race track. 

If you want to do both, you buy something like a Golf GTI, an all round road car.  

Load of rubbish mate...

The slx isn't sold as a "go to pole" and the rest what are they for then? "Ok to look at poles"? 

A pole is a pole to be used to do a job, yes we all know the slx is the most durable in the range and for a weight t price point it's the best value.

However when paying 600 quid for a work item you would expect it to last a lot longer than months. I know Alex has a strict policy on keeping it serviced, I understand why which is to cover his back for a product that isn't really up to the job...you hear story's of these snapping and wearing out really fast. 

I'm suggest that this shouldn't really be the case and should be fit for purpose and not so compromised in durability.

Your analogy is terrible.. these are just poles to clean windows not drive on race tracks or across muddy fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon carbon poles are at their pinnacle of how light you can get them before compromising durability in the practical world with the extreme seeming to be pushing those boundaries a little. I’ve never owned or used an extreme so can’t really comment on weather they are worth the money or not. What I can say though is that I’ve been using my streamline v2 for around two years now which is around half the price of the equivalent in an extreme. The only maintenance I have done is to replace the hose and end cap and every now and again have to tighten the clamps and the way it’s looking I’ll probs get another two years out of it. So with that in mind £300 for four years with minimal maintenance versus £600 for one year with endless maintenance just for the sake of a few grams really doesn’t seem worth it. Maybe if you have injuries or rsi problems as others have mentioned things maybe different but for me it’s a no brainier.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It's all about what you get used to. I use an SLX-22, reinforced pole hose and a dual trim brush. Quite heavy you might think? But I'm used to it. Now if I put my extreme brush on the end it feels too light. I'm sticking with SLX. I can't justify paying out for an Extreme pole.

It's all about what you get used to. I use an SLX-22, reinforced pole hose and a dual trim brush. Quite heavy you might think? But I'm used to it. Now if I put my extreme brush on the end it feels too light. I'm sticking with SLX. I can't justify paying out for an Extreme pole.
I'm still happy with my CLX, I do have a SLX as well, on some jobs the extra flex is helpful. As I use a 45cm fully flocked brush as well, the few grams difference the poles are won't make that much difference

I have been using extreme poles for a couple of years after using slx poles.

I look after my poles well but I don't treat them with kid gloves.I have an extreme 22 mk 2(with metal bands)and it still looks as good as new. I have a 25 and 47 I have never done any maintenance just taken care as I would if they were an slx and have never had a problem.

These poles are lighter, stiffer and generally make the working day better and cause less fatigue I would never go back to the slx range.

Slx's or similar are fine if that's all you know and they are a great pole but the extreme is just better.

If your only getting a couple of months out of one your doing something wrong.

Latest Posts

Back