Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric is coming whether you like it or not

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You have to be very careful about spreading misinformation. Bit like the 2 big recent fires that where reportedly started by EV's (the ship that lost hundreds of new cars and the Luton Airport multi story fire). The press had big headlines about it being EV's but when it comes out about it not being EV's did they print the correct story on the same scale no, they hid it many pages into the papers.

You have to remember we are in the relative infancy of EV's (exclude milk floats as they used lead acids) there will be safety issues it just goes with new technology. Look at Samsung who made an error in their mobile phones and had a few go up in flames. They fixed that and I be virtually everyone on here has a mobile phone in their pocket most of the day or sitting in their van - no one thinks they are going to spontaneously combust!

Yes if EV's catch fire they are very difficult to put out, they are limited range, take a while to 'fill up' but their emissions, while running are so much cleaner and nicer to our environment inc elec production.
If you look back to leaded petrol, that was very bad for growing kids as it stunted brain growth. So they 'transitioned' everyone to unleaded but unless you had a cat unleaded put out more benzene which gave people cancer!
These step changes in vehicles take time and always have hurdles to overcome but they will drive ICE vehicles off the road in the next 10 to 15 years. Once they stop selling ICE vehicles the cost and availability of fuel will go through roof let alone the gov pilling pressure on with road tax!

EV's are here to stay for a good while.

You have to be very careful about spreading misinformation. Bit like the 2 big recent fires that where reportedly started by EV's (the ship that lost hundreds of new cars and the Luton Airport multi story fire). The press had big headlines about it being EV's but when it comes out about it not being EV's did they print the correct story on the same scale no, they hid it many pages into the papers.

You have to remember we are in the relative infancy of EV's (exclude milk floats as they used lead acids) there will be safety issues it just goes with new technology. Look at Samsung who made an error in their mobile phones and had a few go up in flames. They fixed that and I be virtually everyone on here has a mobile phone in their pocket most of the day or sitting in their van - no one thinks they are going to spontaneously combust!

Yes if EV's catch fire they are very difficult to put out, they are limited range, take a while to 'fill up' but their emissions, while running are so much cleaner and nicer to our environment inc elec production.
If you look back to leaded petrol, that was very bad for growing kids as it stunted brain growth. So they 'transitioned' everyone to unleaded but unless you had a cat unleaded put out more benzene which gave people cancer!
These step changes in vehicles take time and always have hurdles to overcome but they will drive ICE vehicles off the road in the next 10 to 15 years. Once they stop selling ICE vehicles the cost and availability of fuel will go through roof let alone the gov pilling pressure on with road tax!

The problem with all this is most of the electric being produced today in the uk comes from fossil fuels so just as well continue to use petrol and diesel in cars rather than burning stuff to charge a car . Ime not against ev but the technology is no ware near there with batteries at this time

The problem with all this is most of the electric being produced today in the uk comes from fossil fuels so just as well continue to use petrol and diesel in cars rather than burning stuff to charge a car . Ime not against ev but the technology is no ware near there with batteries at this time
You are very correct with our electricity generation being from fossil fuels but a petrol engine is about 30% and diesel about 35% where as a power station is about 50% efficient - minus transmission losses (plus charging losses for EV's) but then again there is fuel used to transport the fuel :).

The other thing that never seems to get discussed is the petrol and diesel is only part of the products created by distillation of crude oil. We also get gas and aviation fuel. The gas is used to form some plastics. So if we are not using petrol and diesel we will still need gas and plastics so how does that work?

I do think there is still a long way to go in EV's efficiencies - why do manufacturers not have to specify how many miles they do per KW, they just list range. It's like petrol and diesel cars being sold based on how big a fuel tank they have!

Long way to go but something/someone (govs) need to push the tech forward.

You are very correct with our electricity generation being from fossil fuels but a petrol engine is about 30% and diesel about 35% where as a power station is about 50% efficient - minus transmission losses (plus charging losses for EV's) but then again there is fuel used to transport the fuel :).

The other thing that never seems to get discussed is the petrol and diesel is only part of the products created by distillation of crude oil. We also get gas and aviation fuel. The gas is used to form some plastics. So if we are not using petrol and diesel we will still need gas and plastics so how does that work?

I do think there is still a long way to go in EV's efficiencies - why do manufacturers not have to specify how many miles they do per KW, they just list range. It's like petrol and diesel cars being sold based on how big a fuel tank they have!

The biggest problem is the range when fully loaded is about 25% of the unloaded range.

Yes I agree , for every answer there is another question ???, no straight forward answers to any of it .

What I think will happen is a petrol engine that charges a lithium battery to run the wheels, its still 100% EV.
The Luton carpark fire was an EV, no way it could have been anything else. IMO

Yes I agree , for every answer there is another question ???, no straight forward answers to any of it .
The good thing to come out of EV vans is the payload. Apparently the Gov has raised it to 4.25 ton with no change to our driving licence. This will suit us down to a tee bar the cost of the van. ?

The good thing to come out of EV vans is the payload. Apparently the Gov has raised it to 4.25 ton with no change to our driving licence. This will suit us down to a tee bar the cost of the van. ?
Apart from the reason to increase the weight limit is due to the weight of the battery! So you don't get much more payload! I don't think this helps younger drivers either as they need a C1 unless they have also changed that requirement? Just checked and in 2018 the 'standard car licence' Cat B allows driving EV Vans upto 4.25 tons.

So it couldn’t have been an electrical fault in a petrol or diesel vehicle then ?… what makes you so sure it was an EV ?
The EV had a 2 digit reg plate and the guy parked it on the top level. He was late and boarding had nearly finished so he ran in and told the desk his electric car was smoking and parked up the top deck and boarded the plane. They went up to investigate and it was well alight. They charged him when he flew back but it will never go to court or the truth will come out. Only a lithium fire has the temperature to burn down a concrete and steel carpark. I have attended many petrol and diesel fires and I can stand next to them they maybe 1000 degrees but even the cars next to them are not that bad. Just going by my experience. I could be totally wrong but they say it was diesel. You can fling a lit match in diesel and it goes out. Diesel has to reach above 52 degrees before it gives off vapour to catch fire. No way the diesel tank at the back had reached that temp. If you look at the fire you can see the fire shotting out white glow at the front under passengers floor where the batteries are stored. Just my opinion though. If the Fire Service or UK Gov said it was an EV fire then automatically they would not be allowed in any multistorey carparks, Ferries, Channel Tunnel and much more.
In Poland they are not allowed in multistorey carparks so a Polish guy told me. ?

Apart from the reason to increase the weight limit is due to the weight of the battery! So you don't get much more payload! I don't think this helps younger drivers either as they need a C1 unless they have also changed that requirement? Just checked and in 2018 the 'standard car licence' Cat B allows driving EV Vans upto 4.25 tons.
Rishi want us to sit 6hrs so we could move up from 3.5 ton to 4.25 but he has now waved it. So I read a few weeks ago.

The EV had a 2 digit reg plate and the guy parked it on the top level. He was late and boarding had nearly finished so he ran in and told the desk his electric car was smoking and parked up the top deck and boarded the plane. They went up to investigate and it was well alight. They charged him when he flew back but it will never go to court or the truth will come out. Only a lithium fire has the temperature to burn down a concrete and steel carpark. I have attended many petrol and diesel fires and I can stand next to them they maybe 1000 degrees but even the cars next to them are not that bad. Just going by my experience. I could be totally wrong but they say it was diesel. You can fling a lit match in diesel and it goes out. Diesel has to reach above 52 degrees before it gives off vapour to catch fire. No way the diesel tank at the back had reached that temp. If your look at the fire you can see the fire shotting out white glow at the front under passengers floor where the batteries are stored. Just my opinion though. If the Fire Service or UK Gov said it was an EV fire then automatically they would not be allowed in any multistorey carparks, Ferries, Channel Tunnel and much more.
In Poland they are not allowed in multistorey carparks so a Polish guy told me. ?
ok that’s interesting I hadn’t Hurd that ?

If EV's are not safe and go on fire then they should not be sold to the general public until a time comes when they are safe. Not bothered if twenty years ago certain models diesel/petrol went on fire thats not justification to sell a dangerous product today.

Lessons should have been learned from past mistakes....

Latest Posts

Back