Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric is coming whether you like it or not

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This is what it is. Apparently all these stories about electric vehicles attract audience to news outlets. It's actually concerning that we are being fed 'inflated' news all the time to make things look worse than what it is.... just to get more clicks on adverts.

On CIU someone posted this video, it's really eye opening but sadly not surprising.

On that video, it's a long video, but they say that they asked a reporter why they report all the stories about electric vehicles and they've said the simple truth is people are more interested in those stories. So it's factually disproportionate reporting of factual / partially factual news to get people to view their content so they get money from advertising.

There is obviously truth in the stories but we are only hearing the bad news stories. If a fleet operator that has over 160,000 electric vehicles in the fleet has not had a single fire... well why do we not hear about this in the news?

If it really was a problem then the BBC would be reporting it and all the tv news outlets. I find the fact it's only news outlets that are struggling for views, peoples attention that are dramatically reporting all the problems with electric vehicles, well that implies to me that it's mainly clickbait, yes it's a story but it's trying to make it a much wider story to get the attention of the masses for money. Same as the guy who's posted the clip on youtube, he's getting money for reporting these stories.

Totally agree about the press they will sensationalise things and make it fit what they want .

Fire ignition establishes that the cathode of the battery can catch fire. The burning lithium creates a metal fire existing at temperatures of 2,000 degrees Celsius/3632 degrees Fahrenheit. Attempting to douse the fire with water is inadvisable since this could lead to a hydrogen gas explosion! ???

Cause of fire was a diesel vehicle not an ev
I know, that's the point I was posting, we don't hear about the cause and what vehicles were in these fires, all the stories about electric vehicles catching fire is just scaremongering. There are probably just as many fires from ICE vehicles but before knowing the facts all these fires are being blamed on electric vehicles and everyone is jumping on it and getting excited prompting news outlets to carry on reporting fires without saying what vehicle it was.

If they told the full facts of the story from the beginning then nobody would click on the story as they 'want' to hear electric vehicles catching fire. This is a rare article that actually reports that it's not an electric vehicle but the article was too little too late, the article says that everyone was claiming it to be an electric vehicle, so it's already in their minds that it's 'another' electric vehicle fire...

If they actually did some proper journalism then they would probably find that ICE vehicles account percentage wise for more fires than electric vehicles... They won't do that though as that wouldn't sell the myths to the masses... The news outlets are just after views, clicks... money!

I know, that's the point I was posting, we don't hear about the cause and what vehicles were in these fires, all the stories about electric vehicles catching fire is just scaremongering. There are probably just as many fires from ICE vehicles but before knowing the facts all these fires are being blamed on electric vehicles and everyone is jumping on it and getting excited prompting news outlets to carry on reporting fires without saying what vehicle it was.

If they told the full facts of the story from the beginning then nobody would click on the story as they 'want' to hear electric vehicles catching fire. This is a rare article that actually reports that it's not an electric vehicle but the article was too little too late, the article says that everyone was claiming it to be an electric vehicle, so it's already in their minds that it's 'another' electric vehicle fire...

If they actually did some proper journalism then they would probably find that ICE vehicles account percentage wise for more fires than electric vehicles... They won't do that though as that wouldn't sell the myths to the masses... The news outlets are just after views, clicks... money!
It looks like a hybrid baby range rover. If they tell the truth then every insurance company will refuse to insure EV's and Hybrids and the game is over for EV's. At the moment 3 insurance companies have now refused to insure EV's and the rest have bumped the cost up to £2k a year. It's not just fires but trying to work out how to repair damaged EV's in an accident. They usually right the vehicle off because they can't provide a document stating the battery is 100% safe. If they repair and give back and it goes on fire then the lawyers will have a field day especially if someone gets injured. There is alot more to these EV's than meets the eye. Tesla's share price is now half the all time high, I expect they will shortly become bankrupt.

It looks like a hybrid baby range rover. If they tell the truth then every insurance company will refuse to insure EV's and Hybrids and the game is over for EV's. At the moment 3 insurance companies have now refused to insure EV's and the rest have bumped the cost up to £2k a year. It's not just fires but trying to work out how to repair damaged EV's in an accident. They usually right the vehicle off because they can't provide a document stating the battery is 100% safe. If they repair and give back and it goes on fire then the lawyers will have a field day especially if someone gets injured. There is alot more to these EV's than meets the eye. Tesla's share price is now half the all time high, I expect they will shortly become bankrupt.
You are on the right track there. There are a few youtube channels I watch that repair crashed cars. One had a Lexus hybrid that refused to start, diagnostics said the electric aircon pump so they replaced that at £2k, still no joy, eventually they took it to a self taught expert who replaced a resistor (£0.10) and it worked perfect! The 10p resistor was in the main control unit that would have been something like £5k to replace all because of a 10p resistor and someone with board level diagnostic capability!
Another one, VW ID3 I think, needed someone with official VW software to reset stuff after a battery fuse was replaced, it gets blown if an airbag goes off. VW refused to reset as they didn't know the condition of the battery - crash was on front and rear quarter, battery casing and cables where untouched but VW still refused on safety grounds. I think they even refused to safety test the battery!
At this rate no one will insure EV's and no one will be able to repair any of them rendering them ''throw away vehicles' so there won't be any on the road. So then how are the gov going to recover the lost income from fuel duty and vat? No good having a per mile charge if there are only 10% of the cars on the road that we have today.
It's all well and good having laws that force manufacturers to supply parts for cars up to 6 or 7 years old but when manufacturers are either pricing parts way above the cars value or refusing to allow a crashed car to be reset so it can go back on the road then car ownership is doomed for us mere mortals.

The big difference is that a diesel or petrol vehicle is easy to extinguish, EV fires are a totally different kettle of fish ,they are looking at dropping them into skips full of water and leaving them for 24 hours .

You are on the right track there. There are a few youtube channels I watch that repair crashed cars. One had a Lexus hybrid that refused to start, diagnostics said the electric aircon pump so they replaced that at £2k, still no joy, eventually they took it to a self taught expert who replaced a resistor (£0.10) and it worked perfect! The 10p resistor was in the main control unit that would have been something like £5k to replace all because of a 10p resistor and someone with board level diagnostic capability!
Another one, VW ID3 I think, needed someone with official VW software to reset stuff after a battery fuse was replaced, it gets blown if an airbag goes off. VW refused to reset as they didn't know the condition of the battery - crash was on front and rear quarter, battery casing and cables where untouched but VW still refused on safety grounds. I think they even refused to safety test the battery!
At this rate no one will insure EV's and no one will be able to repair any of them rendering them ''throw away vehicles' so there won't be any on the road. So then how are the gov going to recover the lost income from fuel duty and vat? No good having a per mile charge if there are only 10% of the cars on the road that we have today.
It's all well and good having laws that force manufacturers to supply parts for cars up to 6 or 7 years old but when manufacturers are either pricing parts way above the cars value or refusing to allow a crashed car to be reset so it can go back on the road then car ownership is doomed for us mere mortals.
Absolutely, but take Germany for instance. Their economy is over 20% and that's just to do with cars. There is a lot of money at stake and that's why we have raised the bar to 2035 and gave the go ahead for Rosebank. We don't know the half of it but the wheels in Gov keep turning trying to bring in extra revenue because they need it.

If they tell the truth then every insurance company will refuse to insure EV's and Hybrids and the game is over for EV's.
The insurance companies themselves will know a lot more than the news outlets, they're the ones receiving the claims so have all the data, they don't need someone else telling them how many claims they've got and how much it's costing them.

If manufacturers are refusing to repair their own cars, as you say, then that to me thinking with a business brain means there's an opportunity for a manufacturer to fill that gap. If the insurance companies are refusing to insure the car because of this, then that leaves a gaping whole for the first manufacturer to repair the cars making them insurable.

It's just laziness from the manufacturer if they're not wanting to repair them. It's obviously easier for them to write them off and cash in on the sale of another new car. If they don't start fixing them then the market will fix the manufacturer.

You should have made that clear when posting the link (y)

Typical journalism sensationalising an incident are there many cold hard facts within that article or anything else online probably not because it's a lot of speculation about things and people chipping in and fuelling something, the village I grew up in if you cut your finger at the bottom of the village by the time someone found out at the top of the village you'd cut your finger off that pretty much sums up a lot of stories online because that's about as factual as most of the content is.

I have been watching Geoff and Lee driving from John o Groats to Lands End, hilarious. The EV Porsche doesn't even make it in the end. Worth watching and you can fast forward the driving bits. It seems if you can charge them and the batteries don't go on fire then the depreciation will get you. Well worth watching.

Latest Posts

Back