Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employment contract & advice.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Quickwindowclean

Was wondering if anyone has an up to date contract which has wording of protecting the employer againts possible dodgy staff.

I know it's not going to be full proof but it's better than nothing I used to employ only people I knew in the other van but now will need to recruit a random person so I forget it will be important to have a more thorough contract which covers every ground.

Also although I've made a success out of employing previously I do feel I was a little bit lucky as I only recruited people who I knew.

So perhaps it's something I still need to learn about.. obviously after the initial interview and perhaps a couple of weeks with myself my main concern will be that the employee continues to to give a good image of the company what checks on the employee do you do? and is there any tips you may be able to give ie making sure no criminal record or anything else etc.. if you can also suggest the definite must do's would would you prefer experience or not?

Cheers.

I don't know how it works in the UK but you must be able to get some sort of criminal record check on a potential employee.

I don't know how it works in the UK but you must be able to get some sort of criminal record check on a potential employee.
All my staff and myself are CRB checked or what ever it’s called now we have a few jobs that require it plus we are all serving or ex emergency services workers so it has to be done for that job anyway . 

I think it Costs  around £35-45 per per person to do a check 

All my staff and myself are CRB checked or what ever it’s called now we have a few jobs that require it plus we are all serving or ex emergency services workers so it has to be done for that job anyway . 

I think it Costs  around £35-45 per per person to do a check 
Cheers. What sort of contract do you have what sort of Worthing do you use regarding appropriate interaction with customers

Was wondering if anyone has an up to date contract which has wording of protecting the employer againts possible dodgy staff.

I know it's not going to be full proof but it's better than nothing I used to employ only people I knew in the other van but now will need to recruit a random person so I forget it will be important to have a more thorough contract which covers every ground.

Also although I've made a success out of employing previously I do feel I was a little bit lucky as I only recruited people who I knew.

So perhaps it's something I still need to learn about.. obviously after the initial interview and perhaps a couple of weeks with myself my main concern will be that the employee continues to to give a good image of the company what checks on the employee do you do? and is there any tips you may be able to give ie making sure no criminal record or anything else etc.. if you can also suggest the definite must do's would would you prefer experience or not?

Cheers.
I personally believe that a contract and it's wording is only as good as the amount you'll payout with a legal case if anything untoward happened 

A DBS check would be a good start at the expense of the employee 

A planned probationary trial of 6 weeks and regular monthly meetings to ensure your standards are being met would be my approach if in your position.

You can also have the employee share their driving licence and record with ease through the DVLA portal 

Cheers. What sort of contract do you have what sort of Worthing do you use regarding appropriate interaction with customers
I have known all the guys that work for me for many years from the emergency services so they already have a good work ethic and are good communicators with people going through traumatic things happening in their lives so cleaning windows and having a bit of banter with customers is easy for them but  they all know when to stop , also I trust them implicitly and they me , it’s a very unusual working relationship I treat them as friends rather than the boss , I don’t have a written code   of conduct I trust them to behave but also have a laugh with each other and customers I know I am in a very lucky position and I have deliberately built my business this way .  My only advice would be have a long trial period to get a true reflection of what they are like , try and get someone who someone you know already knows them so you can find out what they are really like . 

I have known all the guys that work for me for many years from the emergency services so they already have a good work ethic and are good communicators with people going through traumatic things happening in their lives so cleaning windows and having a bit of banter with customers is easy for them but  they all know when to stop , also I trust them implicitly and they me , it’s a very unusual working relationship I treat them as friends rather than the boss , I don’t have a written code   of conduct I trust them to behave but also have a laugh with each other and customers I know I am in a very lucky position and I have deliberately built my business this way .  My only advice would be have a long trial period to get a true reflection of what they are like , try and get someone who someone you know already knows them so you can find out what they are really like . 
Basically I was very fortunate to be in a similar situation as you. Now I'm left with only one employee and he is genuinely sick with covid so on SSP.

I should have mentioned I'm in the process of franchising but it takes a little time to get the right applicant. I previously had no need for this as I had a great relationship with my other 2 staff.

So was thinking about employing again till or maybe could keep on but I just cant let myself give the other van out to anyone . They would be representing me and the company. Last person I gave van too was flabbergasted at the amount of turnover he did and wanted me to tell him all the ins and out of the bussniess! 

I've just been working alone long hours but I think I'll just have to hold out. Just cant hand over van to anyone way too much trust involved . Not sure if I should or not but I think it's better to wait someone signing a thick contract and handing over a Capitol investment sits better with me.

Basically I was very fortunate to be in a similar situation as you. Now I'm left with only one employee and he is genuinely sick with covid so on SSP.

I should have mentioned I'm in the process of franchising but it takes a little time to get the right applicant. I previously had no need for this as I had a great relationship with my other 2 staff.

So was thinking about employing again till or maybe could keep on but I just cant let myself give the other van out to anyone . They would be representing me and the company. Last person I gave van too was flabbergasted at the amount of turnover he did and wanted me to tell him all the ins and out of the bussniess! 

I've just been working alone long hours but I think I'll just have to hold out. Just cant hand over van to anyone way too much trust involved . Not sure if I should or not but I think it's better to wait someone signing a thick contract and handing over a Capitol investment sits better with me.
Finding good staff isn’t always easy , I have had a few people that I know work for me over the years and had to get rid of them constantly turning up late , on the phone half the day poor quality work , but I find ones over the age of 35 far more conscientious. 

If you don’t trust ones to go out in your van how are you going to trust a franchisee??? Employing is a two way street with trust needed both ways , I do understand what you are saying but if you want to expand them you will have to let go of the rains a bit . 

Finding good staff isn’t always easy , I have had a few people that I know work for me over the years and had to get rid of them constantly turning up late , on the phone half the day poor quality work , but I find ones over the age of 35 far more conscientious. 

If you don’t trust ones to go out in your van how are you going to trust a franchisee??? Employing is a two way street with trust needed both ways , I do understand what you are saying but if you want to expand them you will have to let go of the rains a bit . 
You are absolutely right and I did .. but then I went through another couple of people with the other van and didn't really go very well. The franchisee will have a thick contract and part with a premium so it will be easier for me to let go there.. Just need to hold out as I think it might take a couple more months.

I think I was a little bit spoilt with the last two chaps I had and then I had two others that ended up being a horrible waste of time so got quite disheartened. Took me ages to finally bite bullet to franchise as well so got more behind hence why I'm a bit concerned so was so close to putting out an add the other day when I posted here for a contract but then I figured when my colleague is back off sick and when I finally sign someone up we will be just about ok. 

It wouldn't be good to employ someone and then later on make them redundant because I'm definitely sticking to the franchisee model less profit but also less worries would be the idea. I managed to get through quite a fair chunk alone this week (electric reels help alot!) so I'm a little bit more at ease not enough to be on time but enough to at least keep up and next week he should be back so will just have to keep it together. Was good to hear all the advice tho thx all.

Staff are like your children in the fact that what you are they will become if you teach the right. Like children you need to mould them into the representatives that your proud to have with you.

The lad i have work for me had a chequered past, but is a good lad at heart, i gave him the chance & benefit of the doubt that 2 blokes gave me in 1997, i was a total wrongun, drinking & fighting very weekend working a dead end job, they gave me a ONE shot and told me a foot wrong and id be gone, 11yrs i worked for them and left as a very good Hydraulic & Pneumatic engineer.

The lad i have now has been with me 7/8months, hes never put a foot wrong, the first day he came out with me we were talking and he was very open and candid about his past, he told me he was partial to smoking the smelly stuff, a simple sentance from me "if you get in my van and i can smell it, your out and wont ever be in again, if a customer ever smells it and mentions it youll be out, and youll need an ice pack for your fat lip" 

Hes good as gold, cant fault him, NEVER been late for work, 1 day off sick, hes friendly, polite will graft for an hour or 10hrs without question.

If he had a license id have no problem sending him out alone if needed, as over time hes come to work identically to me and is a great representative of my company.

If you mean to stop staff leaving and taking customers  then a contract that says 'you cant work of a competitior or steal my customers' etc etc isnt worth the paper its written on and would never hold up in a tribunal, as you cant legally stop somebody from earning a living.

Back